Re: Double-layered hammocks

  • Coy Boy
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 29, 2010
      just about any pad work in a double bottom hammock but they will squish a quilt. not as much as laying directly on it but still. however, you might try making the second (bottom) layer longer, say 3 inches, before tying the ends. this would give you a little room between layers. of course you would lose the strength advantage of the double layer but for us heavier folks I could see using a heavier duty layer for the top layer and a really light layer for the bottom since all it would be doing is holding the quilt in place.

      Coy Boy

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rmeyer386" <rmeyer386@...> wrote:

      > Any experience with an "undercover" for a Speer hammock similar to the undercover for the Hennessey Ultralight Backpacker. I like the idea of not lying directly on my insulating pads. I own a PeaPod, but am looking for something with less weight and bulk. Does the double-layered hammock concept work with most forms of insulation and pads?

    • Douglas Campbell
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 29, 2010
        I've often wondered if anyone has tried making the double layer hammock
        bottom out of a stretchy material so that it would give a little, thus
        reducing the compression from the top layer. It would also hold it tight
        underneath the top layer (I would think).

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 29, 2010
          sounds like it would. I've been to busy (and lazy) lately to do much experimenting. netting might work. it is light and stretchy. it would not offer any wind protection but if it held a quilt up in the right places it would be good.

          Coy Boy

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Campbell <campbell.d.p@...> wrote:

          > I've often wondered if anyone has tried making the double layer hammock
          > bottom out of a stretchy material so that it would give a little, thus
          > reducing the compression from the top layer. It would also hold it tight
          > underneath the top layer (I would think).
          >
          > On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Coy Boy <starnescr@...> wrote:
          >

          > > just about any pad work in a double bottom hammock but they will squish a
          > > quilt. not as much as laying directly on it but still. however, you might
          > > try making the second (bottom) layer longer, say 3 inches, before tying the
          > > ends. this would give you a little room between layers. of course you would
          > > lose the strength advantage of the double layer but for us heavier folks I
          > > could see using a heavier duty layer for the top layer and a really light
          > > layer for the bottom since all it would be doing is holding the quilt in
          > > place.
          > >
          > > Coy Boy
          > >
          > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > > "rmeyer386" <rmeyer386@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Any experience with an "undercover" for a Speer hammock similar to the
          > > undercover for the Hennessey Ultralight Backpacker. I like the idea of not
          > > lying directly on my insulating pads. I own a PeaPod, but am looking for
          > > something with less weight and bulk. Does the double-layered hammock concept
          > > work with most forms of insulation and pads?

        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 29, 2010
            Or even an old mesh string hammock

            Ralph