Re: [Hammock Camping] Double-layered hammocks

  • Richard Perlman
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 28, 2010
      Aaron Fletcher wrote:
      > Yeah sleeping pads/double bottom work fine but give you cold spots on the sides, those peapodish underquilts look nice and warm!

      I have a PeaPod and could not imagine using any other type of
      insulation. Once you try one, you're sold!

      Rich

    • Coy Boy
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 29, 2010
        just about any pad work in a double bottom hammock but they will squish a quilt. not as much as laying directly on it but still. however, you might try making the second (bottom) layer longer, say 3 inches, before tying the ends. this would give you a little room between layers. of course you would lose the strength advantage of the double layer but for us heavier folks I could see using a heavier duty layer for the top layer and a really light layer for the bottom since all it would be doing is holding the quilt in place.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rmeyer386" <rmeyer386@...> wrote:

        > Any experience with an "undercover" for a Speer hammock similar to the undercover for the Hennessey Ultralight Backpacker. I like the idea of not lying directly on my insulating pads. I own a PeaPod, but am looking for something with less weight and bulk. Does the double-layered hammock concept work with most forms of insulation and pads?

      • Douglas Campbell
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 29, 2010
          I've often wondered if anyone has tried making the double layer hammock
          bottom out of a stretchy material so that it would give a little, thus
          reducing the compression from the top layer. It would also hold it tight
          underneath the top layer (I would think).

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 29, 2010
            sounds like it would. I've been to busy (and lazy) lately to do much experimenting. netting might work. it is light and stretchy. it would not offer any wind protection but if it held a quilt up in the right places it would be good.

            Coy Boy

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Campbell <campbell.d.p@...> wrote:

            > I've often wondered if anyone has tried making the double layer hammock
            > bottom out of a stretchy material so that it would give a little, thus
            > reducing the compression from the top layer. It would also hold it tight
            > underneath the top layer (I would think).
            >
            > On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Coy Boy <starnescr@...> wrote:
            >

            > > just about any pad work in a double bottom hammock but they will squish a
            > > quilt. not as much as laying directly on it but still. however, you might
            > > try making the second (bottom) layer longer, say 3 inches, before tying the
            > > ends. this would give you a little room between layers. of course you would
            > > lose the strength advantage of the double layer but for us heavier folks I
            > > could see using a heavier duty layer for the top layer and a really light
            > > layer for the bottom since all it would be doing is holding the quilt in
            > > place.
            > >
            > > Coy Boy
            > >
            > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > > "rmeyer386" <rmeyer386@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Any experience with an "undercover" for a Speer hammock similar to the
            > > undercover for the Hennessey Ultralight Backpacker. I like the idea of not
            > > lying directly on my insulating pads. I own a PeaPod, but am looking for
            > > something with less weight and bulk. Does the double-layered hammock concept
            > > work with most forms of insulation and pads?

          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 29, 2010
              Or even an old mesh string hammock

              Ralph