Double-layered hammocks

  • rmeyer386
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 26, 2010
      Any experience with an "undercover" for a Speer hammock similar to the undercover for the Hennessey Ultralight Backpacker. I like the idea of not lying directly on my insulating pads. I own a PeaPod, but am looking for something with less weight and bulk. Does the double-layered hammock concept work with most forms of insulation and pads?
    • Douglas Campbell
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 27, 2010
        Oh yeah, the double layered one I made from Rick's instructions on his site
        (www.imrisk.com) works perfectly to hold pads of all sorts. You can even
        put a pad in lengthwise and a shorter one cross-wise at the shoulders and
        they will stay put. It is nice not to have to worry about how you move
        inside your hammock for fear of messing up the pads underneath you.

        Doug C.

        On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 6:47 PM, rmeyer386 <rmeyer386@...> wrote:

        > Any experience with an "undercover" for a Speer hammock similar to the
        > undercover for the Hennessey Ultralight Backpacker. I like the idea of not
        > lying directly on my insulating pads. I own a PeaPod, but am looking for
        > something with less weight and bulk. Does the double-layered hammock concept
        > work with most forms of insulation and pads?

      • Rick Meyer
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 27, 2010
          Thanks for the advice and info.
          Rick M.

          ________________________________
          Oh yeah, the double layered one I made from Rick's instructions on his site
          (www.imrisk.com) works perfectly to hold pads of all sorts.  You can even
          put a pad in lengthwise and a shorter one cross-wise at the shoulders and
          they will stay put.  It is nice not to have to worry about how you move
          inside your hammock for fear of messing up the pads underneath you.

          Doug C.

          On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 6:47 PM, rmeyer386 <rmeyer386@...> wrote:

          > Any experience with an "undercover" for a Speer hammock similar to the
          > undercover for the Hennessey Ultralight Backpacker. I like the idea of not
          > lying directly on my insulating pads. I own a PeaPod, but am looking for
          > something with less weight and bulk. Does the double-layered hammock concept
          > work with most forms of insulation and pads?

        • Tom Frazier
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 27, 2010
            The only ones I've had issues with are the self-inflating pads (thermarest and REI's line of similar pads) as they tend to slide around---I just don't put as much air in them and then they do just fine. I've not had any issues with any other pads in my double bottomed hammock.

            Tom

            Any experience with an "undercover" for a Speer hammock similar to the undercover for the Hennessey Ultralight Backpacker. I like the idea of not lying directly on my insulating pads. I own a PeaPod, but am looking for something with less weight and bulk. Does the double-layered hammock concept work with most forms of insulation and pads?

          • Aaron Fletcher
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 27, 2010
              Yeah sleeping pads/double bottom work fine but give you cold spots on the sides, those peapodish underquilts look nice and warm!

              Sent from my iPod
            • Richard Perlman
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 28, 2010
                Aaron Fletcher wrote:
                > Yeah sleeping pads/double bottom work fine but give you cold spots on the sides, those peapodish underquilts look nice and warm!

                I have a PeaPod and could not imagine using any other type of
                insulation. Once you try one, you're sold!

                Rich

              • Coy Boy
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 29, 2010
                  just about any pad work in a double bottom hammock but they will squish a quilt. not as much as laying directly on it but still. however, you might try making the second (bottom) layer longer, say 3 inches, before tying the ends. this would give you a little room between layers. of course you would lose the strength advantage of the double layer but for us heavier folks I could see using a heavier duty layer for the top layer and a really light layer for the bottom since all it would be doing is holding the quilt in place.

                  Coy Boy

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 29, 2010
                    I've often wondered if anyone has tried making the double layer hammock
                    bottom out of a stretchy material so that it would give a little, thus
                    reducing the compression from the top layer. It would also hold it tight
                    underneath the top layer (I would think).

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 29, 2010
                      sounds like it would. I've been to busy (and lazy) lately to do much experimenting. netting might work. it is light and stretchy. it would not offer any wind protection but if it held a quilt up in the right places it would be good.

                      Coy Boy

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Campbell <campbell.d.p@...> wrote:

                      > I've often wondered if anyone has tried making the double layer hammock
                      > bottom out of a stretchy material so that it would give a little, thus
                      > reducing the compression from the top layer. It would also hold it tight
                      > underneath the top layer (I would think).
                      >
                      > On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Coy Boy <starnescr@...> wrote:
                      >

                      > > just about any pad work in a double bottom hammock but they will squish a
                      > > quilt. not as much as laying directly on it but still. however, you might
                      > > try making the second (bottom) layer longer, say 3 inches, before tying the
                      > > ends. this would give you a little room between layers. of course you would
                      > > lose the strength advantage of the double layer but for us heavier folks I
                      > > could see using a heavier duty layer for the top layer and a really light
                      > > layer for the bottom since all it would be doing is holding the quilt in
                      > > place.
                      > >
                      > > Coy Boy
                      > >
                      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>,
                      > > "rmeyer386" <rmeyer386@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Any experience with an "undercover" for a Speer hammock similar to the
                      > > undercover for the Hennessey Ultralight Backpacker. I like the idea of not
                      > > lying directly on my insulating pads. I own a PeaPod, but am looking for
                      > > something with less weight and bulk. Does the double-layered hammock concept
                      > > work with most forms of insulation and pads?

                    • Ralph Oborn
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 29, 2010
                        Or even an old mesh string hammock

                        Ralph