Dog Hammock

  • Aaron Fletcher
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 21, 2010
      Put it under you, he's got alotta heat even at 10 lbs!

      Sent from my iPod
    • Tim Naylor
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 21, 2010
        Perry,
        you might try something like this:
        http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearPackCoverGearHammock.html. Great
        multi-tasking item that would be plenty large for a tiny pup like that.
        --Tim

        --
        Regards,Tim Naylor

      • Carey Parks
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 21, 2010
          Gear hammock? Maybe just use a bean bag like thing stuffed with whatever's
          handy and clip it to one end. He will prolly snuggle into the corner of the
          hammock. He'll need insulation on the bottom just like you do.

          --
          http://parkswhistles.com/
          http://www.facebook.com/carey.parks

        • David and Barbara Elliott
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 22, 2010
            Perry,
            Interesting idea! I have a much bigger dog, so his insulated hammock hangs under mine. See photos here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/photos/album/786007485/pic/list
            What I have learned (from him) is that he will use it if he is cold enough and if I tie out the sides securely so it doesn't swing. He prefers a stable bed, preferably with a warm person in it. I prefer not to share my hammock with 70 pounds of cold, wet dog.

            What has worked best for him if we're camped on a hillside is to tighten the downhill end of his hammock to lift it up, but let the middle and uphill parts rest on the ground. This keeps him from sliding downhill or looking for a flat place that's not under the tarp. Dogs get up and turn around (3 revolutions) several times during the night. When my dog does that his back bumps into my butt. It appears to bother him more than it does me.

            Supplex is a good fabric for dog hammocks - strong enough to resist toenails, but comfortably soft.

            Get your dog used to the hammock by putting it on top of his/her dogbed at home. Then move the dogbed and hammock to your back yard setup. Once the dog associates the hammock fabric with "home" it won't be as scary when it's off the ground and moving under him/her. In this, as in all the other things I suggest, remember the guiding principle: YDMD (your dog may differ). On a side note, if your dog gets lost in the woods and darkness forces you to call off the search, leave a jacket or shirt (or dog hammock!) on the ground. When you come back the next morning, the dog will probably be curled up on it.

            I like the idea of suspending your dog above you in the hammock. See if your dog likes it, too. You could lower his/her hammock just enough that there's some contact, but most of the dog's weight is off your bladder. :) It could simplfy insulation, too. YDMD.

            Good luck to you both!

            David

          • PERRY
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 23, 2010
              Thanks for the advice. I haven't tried anything yet but as it turns out I came across a small zippered duffel bag that I may be able to convert into a small hammock for Winston. My main concern and reason for wanting a hammock for him is my fear of rolling over on him. Its just a fear.
              As I stated I haven't tried anything yet. Winston is somewhat of a Velcro dog and sleeps in bed with me now.
              Thanks again for the help
              Perry & Winston
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Fletcher <spreadthelove777@...> wrote:

              > Put it under you, he's got alotta heat even at 10 lbs!
              >
              > Sent from my iPod

            • Cara Lin Bridgman
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 23, 2010
                I sleep every night in a hammock at home. Every night, my cat sleeps on
                my bladder (on is not as bad a problem as the pre-sleep kneed). I've
                yet to come close to rolling over on her. She is always on top. Having
                her directly on me in an open hammock has its advantages. She jumps off
                as soon as I start making the 'getting out of the hammock motions.'
                Once I get settled back into the hammock, she stands up weasel-like to
                check I'm settled and then jumps back in. I imagine you'll have to lift
                your dog out and lift him back in.

                CL

                PERRY wrote:
                > Thanks for the advice. I haven't tried anything yet but as it turns out I came across a small zippered duffel bag that I may be able to convert into a small hammock for Winston. My main concern and reason for wanting a hammock for him is my fear of rolling over on him. Its just a fear.
                > As I stated I haven't tried anything yet. Winston is somewhat of a Velcro dog and sleeps in bed with me now.
                > Thanks again for the help
                > Perry & Winston
              • Sandy
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 29, 2010
                  I saw the cutest photograph of a DIY insulated dog hammock hanging under the master hammock...on hammocks forum. Looked like a black lab in thered.

                  can't remember which section it was in....i was scrolling around the less used hamocks.

                  not sure if you can search for photos.

                  sandy in miami

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "PERRY" <churchillperry@...> wrote:

                  > I was thinking of making a hammock for my dog to hang inside my hammock when we are camping. He's 10# and aprox 18" long. Anyone have any ideas?
                  > Perry

                • Sandy
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 29, 2010
                    THAT WAS IT!!! Thanks Dave.