Re: [Hammock Camping] Double layer hammocks??????

  • Douglas Campbell
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 14, 2010
      I made one from Rick's site (www.imrisk.com) and it works great.

      Doug C.

      On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 9:31 AM, Blake Robert <xflagstaff9@...> wrote:

      > Double layer hammocks??????????
      >
      > How did the double layer hammock work out for you in regard to holding the
      > insulation in place??????
      >
      > I bought a Claytor Nonet hammock to try this concept---but since receiving
      > it I have only camped once in a place where I knew there were two trees
      > almost too close for my HH Nonet hammock which is shorter than the Claytor.
      >
      > --- On Wed, 1/13/10, sm4inv <per-arne.asp@...<per-arne.asp%40tordata.se>>
      > wrote:
      >
      > From: sm4inv <per-arne.asp@... <per-arne.asp%40tordata.se>>
      > Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re: Anybody made their own?
      > To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>
      > Date: Wednesday, January 13, 2010, 2:49 AM
      >

      > Yeah, I made 2 from Ed Speers instructions but I made them with double
      > layers of fabric so I can put in and hold the pad securly.
      >
      > /p-a, sweden
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, "michalbuchanan" <michalbuchanan@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Looking to sew up a hammock either this weekend or next. After browsing
      > through a few online how-to's, I think I am going to look out for rip-stop
      > nylon when I go fabric shopping. Wondering if anybody has any experience
      > making hammocks out of a variety of fabrics.

    • Arye P. R.
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 17, 2010
        stretch depends upon the weave, and how it is loaded. Most all fabric will stretch more on the bias (diagonal). Polyester thread and rope have less than nylon but again the amount of stretch depends upon the weave, load and native strength of the material/line. I recentlyreceived some 5.5 oz Dacron polyester sailcloth and was very surprised at the stretch on the bias when unloaded end to end.

        SapereAude,

        Arye P. Rubenstein