Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Anybody made their own?

  • Tom Frazier
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 13, 2010
      I've made a few 1.9 oz. ripstop nylon hammocks; rolled the two long edges, sewed on zipper and no-see-um netting and tied rope and 1" cinch buckle, added 1" wide webbing (with carabiner on one end, with sewed in loop, to make connection to trees a literal 'snap')...made one for every immediate family member, one for my brother, and will be making another for another brother as soon as he buys his materials.

      The ripstop nylon is comfortable and strong enough to handle the rigors of me camping in it constantly for the last two years. My next project is going to be making a unique underquilt (uses on buckles or elastic cord and doubles as blanket) and my own version of a tarp-tent.

      I believe there's a group here called, 'Outdoor Sewing', that is all about sewing camping gear that'll give you lots of specific information on sewing if you need it.

      Tom

      @yahoogroups.com, "michalbuchanan" <michalbuchanan@...> wrote:

      > Looking to sew up a hammock either this weekend or next. After browsing through a few online how-to's, I think I am going to look out for rip-stop nylon when I go fabric shopping. Wondering if anybody has any experience making hammocks out of a variety of fabrics.

    • Blake Robert
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 14, 2010
        Double layer hammocks??????????

        How did the double layer hammock work out for you in regard to holding the insulation in place??????

        I bought a Claytor Nonet hammock to try this concept---but since receiving it I have only camped once in a place where I knew there were two trees almost too close for my HH Nonet hammock which is shorter than the Claytor.

        Yeah, I made 2 from Ed Speers instructions but I made them with double layers of fabric so I can put in and hold the pad securly.

        /p-a, sweden

        --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, "michalbuchanan" <michalbuchanan@ ...> wrote:

        > Looking to sew up a hammock either this weekend or next. After browsing through a few online how-to's, I think I am going to look out for rip-stop nylon when I go fabric shopping. Wondering if anybody has any experience making hammocks out of a variety of fabrics.

      • Troy Eckhardt
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 14, 2010
          My homemade double-layer bridge hammock holds a pad very well.

          Troy

          On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Blake Robert <xflagstaff9@...>wrote:

          > Double layer hammocks??????????
          >
          > How did the double layer hammock work out for you in regard to holding the
          > insulation in place??????
          >
          > I bought a Claytor Nonet hammock to try this concept---but since receiving
          > it I have only camped once in a place where I knew there were two trees
          > almost too close for my HH Nonet hammock which is shorter than the Claytor.
          >
          > --- On Wed, 1/13/10, sm4inv <per-arne.asp@...<per-arne.asp%40tordata.se>>
          > wrote:
          >
          > From: sm4inv <per-arne.asp@... <per-arne.asp%40tordata.se>>
          > Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re: Anybody made their own?
          > To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>
          > Date: Wednesday, January 13, 2010, 2:49 AM
          >

          > Yeah, I made 2 from Ed Speers instructions but I made them with double
          > layers of fabric so I can put in and hold the pad securly.
          >
          > /p-a, sweden
          >
          > --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, "michalbuchanan" <michalbuchanan@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Looking to sew up a hammock either this weekend or next. After browsing
          > through a few online how-to's, I think I am going to look out for rip-stop
          > nylon when I go fabric shopping. Wondering if anybody has any experience
          > making hammocks out of a variety of fabrics.

        • Douglas Campbell
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 14, 2010
            I made one from Rick's site (www.imrisk.com) and it works great.

            Doug C.

            On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 9:31 AM, Blake Robert <xflagstaff9@...> wrote:

            > Double layer hammocks??????????
            >
            > How did the double layer hammock work out for you in regard to holding the
            > insulation in place??????
            >
            > I bought a Claytor Nonet hammock to try this concept---but since receiving
            > it I have only camped once in a place where I knew there were two trees
            > almost too close for my HH Nonet hammock which is shorter than the Claytor.
            >
            > --- On Wed, 1/13/10, sm4inv <per-arne.asp@...<per-arne.asp%40tordata.se>>
            > wrote:
            >
            > From: sm4inv <per-arne.asp@... <per-arne.asp%40tordata.se>>
            > Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re: Anybody made their own?
            > To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>
            > Date: Wednesday, January 13, 2010, 2:49 AM
            >

            > Yeah, I made 2 from Ed Speers instructions but I made them with double
            > layers of fabric so I can put in and hold the pad securly.
            >
            > /p-a, sweden
            >
            > --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, "michalbuchanan" <michalbuchanan@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Looking to sew up a hammock either this weekend or next. After browsing
            > through a few online how-to's, I think I am going to look out for rip-stop
            > nylon when I go fabric shopping. Wondering if anybody has any experience
            > making hammocks out of a variety of fabrics.

          • Arye P. R.
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 17, 2010
              stretch depends upon the weave, and how it is loaded. Most all fabric will stretch more on the bias (diagonal). Polyester thread and rope have less than nylon but again the amount of stretch depends upon the weave, load and native strength of the material/line. I recentlyreceived some 5.5 oz Dacron polyester sailcloth and was very surprised at the stretch on the bias when unloaded end to end.

              SapereAude,

              Arye P. Rubenstein