Re: Hammock Camping Lesson Learned - It's not supposed to be COLD in July!

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 7, 2003
      Ed
      Cool, Literally I'll bet by Sept 20th. I hope I'm off and can make
      it.

      Jim
      No need to fell like a dummy. I had 2 years experience under my
      belt last summer when I went hiking in Tn. on the Fiery Gizzard
      Trail, without a pad. It came a storm in the afternoon and cooled
      things down which led to mid 60s for lows. I did not have a pad
      with me. I spent a cool restless night and in fact made Cody switch
      places with me for about an hour so I could warm up. He was under
      my daughter hammock, on the ground on a ther-ma-rest. My daughters
      hammock had no pad either but she did not get cold. She did not
      hear my son and I swiching places. The differance was, she was in
      my Crazy Crib with it's double bottom. By double bottom i mean the
      2 layes of nylon created by the "empty pad pocket. However, the
      empty pad pocket was better than no pad pocket on my Hennessy.
      Anyways I got on the ground from about 3 AM to 4 AM and got real
      warm. This allowed me to sleep another hour or 2 back in the
      hammock befor I got too cool to sleep again. By then it was nearly
      daylight so I just got up and walked down to the bluff (Ravens
      Point) about a half mile away and listened to the turkeys greet the
      day. I felt a little like a turkey for going without a 10 oz pad.

      Coy Boy

      > Yes, Jim I have planned a hammock hangers hike & campout for Sat,
      Sep 20
      > in west central NC--details will be posted tomorrow....Ed

      Neswletter

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1

      065843:HM/A=1652963/R=0/SIG=11tvulr8i/*http://www.netflix.com/Default
      > ?mq
      > > so=60178275&partid=3170658> click here
      > >
      > > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
      > M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egrou
      > > pmail/S=:HM/A=1652963/rand=686571709>

      Service
      > > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=249982.3512844.4795476.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1
      705
      > 065843:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12o72ctft/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-
      bin/au
      > toredir?camp=556&lineid=3512844&prop=egroupweb&pos=HM>
      >
      > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
      M=249982.3512844.4795476.1261774/D=egrou
      > pmail/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=288744155>

      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
    • Jim
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 8, 2003
        Coy:

        The ironic thing is that I switched from my usual GVP G4 to a new
        Gregory G pack in an effort to go smaller, since I was only going
        out for the one night. My G4 is frameless, and uses a Z-rest as a
        frame support. If I hadn't been such a gearhead and stuck with my
        original plan, I'd have been fine. My G4 is just a little too big
        for overnighters.....hmmm...since the G-pack is silnylon, I'll bet I
        could make an inner lining of reflectix that might add some
        stiffness to the pack body.....I'll have to work on that.

        Also, does anybody know where I can get tyvek in other than the huge
        rolls? My local Lowe's doesn't sell by the yard.

        Jim