Re: [Hammock Camping] Anybody made their own?

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 13, 2010
      Oh and I just saw a promo for man vrs wild (bear Grylls) Where he makes a
      hammock by splitting a bamboo log.

      Hmmmm

      Ralph

      On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 7:45 AM, Chuck Haak <neonguitar58@...> wrote:

      > My favorite hammock is made from some polyester supplex I found years ago
      > in
      > the bargain fabrics bin at Joann. I wish that I had bought the whole bolt
      > because I haven't seen it since. It may not be super light but it is very
      > comfortable. Nylon supplex would probably do just as well.
      > Have fun making your hammock.
      > Chuck
      >
      > On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 3:54 PM, michalbuchanan <michalbuchanan@...
      > >wrote:
      >

      > > Looking to sew up a hammock either this weekend or next. After browsing
      > > through a few online how-to's, I think I am going to look out for
      > rip-stop
      > > nylon when I go fabric shopping. Wondering if anybody has any experience
      > > making hammocks out of a variety of fabrics.

    • sawyer7271
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 13, 2010
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "michalbuchanan" <michalbuchanan@...> wrote:

        > Looking to sew up a hammock either this weekend or next. After browsing through a few online how-to's, I think I am going to look out for rip-stop nylon when I go fabric shopping. Wondering if anybody has any experience making hammocks out of a variety of fabrics.

        I've made several. Nylon ripstop works well, is lightweight, and stretches just a bit (making it more comfortable). If you're under 170 pounds (if I remember right) 1.1oz/yd material should be ok. You can make a double layered hammock, or use heavier material if weight is an issue.

        Polyester fabric won't stretch, and, by weight, is stronger than nylon.

        Take a look at Just Jeff's and Risk's sites for instructions:

        http://www.imrisk.com
        http://www.tothewoods.net

        John
      • Blake Robert
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 13, 2010
          Tonight, on the Discovery Channel, according to previews, Bear Grylls makes a hammock with one single stretch of bamboo. Man vs. Wild. The time depends on your time zone.

        • Tom Frazier
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 13, 2010
            I've made a few 1.9 oz. ripstop nylon hammocks; rolled the two long edges, sewed on zipper and no-see-um netting and tied rope and 1" cinch buckle, added 1" wide webbing (with carabiner on one end, with sewed in loop, to make connection to trees a literal 'snap')...made one for every immediate family member, one for my brother, and will be making another for another brother as soon as he buys his materials.

            The ripstop nylon is comfortable and strong enough to handle the rigors of me camping in it constantly for the last two years. My next project is going to be making a unique underquilt (uses on buckles or elastic cord and doubles as blanket) and my own version of a tarp-tent.

            I believe there's a group here called, 'Outdoor Sewing', that is all about sewing camping gear that'll give you lots of specific information on sewing if you need it.

            Tom

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 14, 2010
              Double layer hammocks??????????

              How did the double layer hammock work out for you in regard to holding the insulation in place??????

              I bought a Claytor Nonet hammock to try this concept---but since receiving it I have only camped once in a place where I knew there were two trees almost too close for my HH Nonet hammock which is shorter than the Claytor.

              Yeah, I made 2 from Ed Speers instructions but I made them with double layers of fabric so I can put in and hold the pad securly.

              /p-a, sweden

              --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, "michalbuchanan" <michalbuchanan@ ...> wrote:

              > Looking to sew up a hammock either this weekend or next. After browsing through a few online how-to's, I think I am going to look out for rip-stop nylon when I go fabric shopping. Wondering if anybody has any experience making hammocks out of a variety of fabrics.

            • Troy Eckhardt
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 14, 2010
                My homemade double-layer bridge hammock holds a pad very well.

                Troy

                On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Blake Robert <xflagstaff9@...>wrote:

                > Double layer hammocks??????????
                >
                > How did the double layer hammock work out for you in regard to holding the
                > insulation in place??????
                >
                > I bought a Claytor Nonet hammock to try this concept---but since receiving
                > it I have only camped once in a place where I knew there were two trees
                > almost too close for my HH Nonet hammock which is shorter than the Claytor.
                >
                > --- On Wed, 1/13/10, sm4inv <per-arne.asp@...<per-arne.asp%40tordata.se>>
                > wrote:
                >
                > From: sm4inv <per-arne.asp@... <per-arne.asp%40tordata.se>>
                > Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re: Anybody made their own?
                > To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>
                > Date: Wednesday, January 13, 2010, 2:49 AM
                >

                > Yeah, I made 2 from Ed Speers instructions but I made them with double
                > layers of fabric so I can put in and hold the pad securly.
                >
                > /p-a, sweden
                >
                > --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, "michalbuchanan" <michalbuchanan@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Looking to sew up a hammock either this weekend or next. After browsing
                > through a few online how-to's, I think I am going to look out for rip-stop
                > nylon when I go fabric shopping. Wondering if anybody has any experience
                > making hammocks out of a variety of fabrics.

              • Douglas Campbell
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 14, 2010
                  I made one from Rick's site (www.imrisk.com) and it works great.

                  Doug C.

                  On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 9:31 AM, Blake Robert <xflagstaff9@...> wrote:

                  > Double layer hammocks??????????
                  >
                  > How did the double layer hammock work out for you in regard to holding the
                  > insulation in place??????
                  >
                  > I bought a Claytor Nonet hammock to try this concept---but since receiving
                  > it I have only camped once in a place where I knew there were two trees
                  > almost too close for my HH Nonet hammock which is shorter than the Claytor.
                  >
                  > --- On Wed, 1/13/10, sm4inv <per-arne.asp@...<per-arne.asp%40tordata.se>>
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  > From: sm4inv <per-arne.asp@... <per-arne.asp%40tordata.se>>
                  > Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re: Anybody made their own?
                  > To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > Date: Wednesday, January 13, 2010, 2:49 AM
                  >

                  > Yeah, I made 2 from Ed Speers instructions but I made them with double
                  > layers of fabric so I can put in and hold the pad securly.
                  >
                  > /p-a, sweden
                  >
                  > --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, "michalbuchanan" <michalbuchanan@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Looking to sew up a hammock either this weekend or next. After browsing
                  > through a few online how-to's, I think I am going to look out for rip-stop
                  > nylon when I go fabric shopping. Wondering if anybody has any experience
                  > making hammocks out of a variety of fabrics.

                • Arye P. R.
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 17, 2010
                    stretch depends upon the weave, and how it is loaded. Most all fabric will stretch more on the bias (diagonal). Polyester thread and rope have less than nylon but again the amount of stretch depends upon the weave, load and native strength of the material/line. I recentlyreceived some 5.5 oz Dacron polyester sailcloth and was very surprised at the stretch on the bias when unloaded end to end.

                    SapereAude,

                    Arye P. Rubenstein