Anybody made their own?

  • michalbuchanan
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 12, 2010
      Looking to sew up a hammock either this weekend or next. After browsing through a few online how-to's, I think I am going to look out for rip-stop nylon when I go fabric shopping. Wondering if anybody has any experience making hammocks out of a variety of fabrics.
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 12, 2010
        On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 3:54 PM, michalbuchanan <michalbuchanan@...>wrote:

        > Looking to sew up a hammock either this weekend or next. After browsing
        > through a few online how-to's, I think I am going to look out for rip-stop
        > nylon when I go fabric shopping. Wondering if anybody has any experience
        > making hammocks out of a variety of fabrics.

        Yes
        My scouts have made dozens.

        Ripstop will work fine but is probably more than needed.

        Question: Why sew when you can just tie?

        Ralph

        PS her's my instructions fro an October posting:

        Ralph's on the cheap, no sew version of the Risk Test Hammock:
        (as inspired by this discussion list.)

        Get 4 yards of non stretch material (doesn't have to be ripstop)
        Two 15'x 1 inch straps (strapping from an war surplus store or motor cycle
        tie-downs or small tow straps)

        Gather the ends of the material
        leave about a 1 inch "ears " up at each corner (to make a "pocket"
        Make a loop of the hammock material
        Tie a double sheetbend with the strapping

        No sewing, no fussing, I get the material for $1.50 a yard at Wal-mart)
        Total cost under $10.00

        My scouts love 'em we have made and use about 20 of them.

        Add a ridge line if you like.
        If it looks like rain we drape an 8X10 blue tarp diagonally over the hammock
        and stake down the corners

      • sm4inv
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 13, 2010
          Yeah, I made 2 from Ed Speers instructions but I made them with double layers of fabric so I can put in and hold the pad securly.

          /p-a, sweden

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "michalbuchanan" <michalbuchanan@...> wrote:

          > Looking to sew up a hammock either this weekend or next. After browsing through a few online how-to's, I think I am going to look out for rip-stop nylon when I go fabric shopping. Wondering if anybody has any experience making hammocks out of a variety of fabrics.

        • Chuck Haak
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 13, 2010
            My favorite hammock is made from some polyester supplex I found years ago in
            the bargain fabrics bin at Joann. I wish that I had bought the whole bolt
            because I haven't seen it since. It may not be super light but it is very
            comfortable. Nylon supplex would probably do just as well.
            Have fun making your hammock.
            Chuck

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 13, 2010
              Oh and I just saw a promo for man vrs wild (bear Grylls) Where he makes a
              hammock by splitting a bamboo log.

              Hmmmm

              Ralph

              On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 7:45 AM, Chuck Haak <neonguitar58@...> wrote:

              > My favorite hammock is made from some polyester supplex I found years ago
              > in
              > the bargain fabrics bin at Joann. I wish that I had bought the whole bolt
              > because I haven't seen it since. It may not be super light but it is very
              > comfortable. Nylon supplex would probably do just as well.
              > Have fun making your hammock.
              > Chuck
              >
              > On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 3:54 PM, michalbuchanan <michalbuchanan@...
              > >wrote:
              >

              > > Looking to sew up a hammock either this weekend or next. After browsing
              > > through a few online how-to's, I think I am going to look out for
              > rip-stop
              > > nylon when I go fabric shopping. Wondering if anybody has any experience
              > > making hammocks out of a variety of fabrics.

            • sawyer7271
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 13, 2010
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "michalbuchanan" <michalbuchanan@...> wrote:

                > Looking to sew up a hammock either this weekend or next. After browsing through a few online how-to's, I think I am going to look out for rip-stop nylon when I go fabric shopping. Wondering if anybody has any experience making hammocks out of a variety of fabrics.

                I've made several. Nylon ripstop works well, is lightweight, and stretches just a bit (making it more comfortable). If you're under 170 pounds (if I remember right) 1.1oz/yd material should be ok. You can make a double layered hammock, or use heavier material if weight is an issue.

                Polyester fabric won't stretch, and, by weight, is stronger than nylon.

                Take a look at Just Jeff's and Risk's sites for instructions:

                http://www.imrisk.com
                http://www.tothewoods.net

                John
              • Blake Robert
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 13, 2010
                  Tonight, on the Discovery Channel, according to previews, Bear Grylls makes a hammock with one single stretch of bamboo. Man vs. Wild. The time depends on your time zone.

                • Tom Frazier
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 13, 2010
                    I've made a few 1.9 oz. ripstop nylon hammocks; rolled the two long edges, sewed on zipper and no-see-um netting and tied rope and 1" cinch buckle, added 1" wide webbing (with carabiner on one end, with sewed in loop, to make connection to trees a literal 'snap')...made one for every immediate family member, one for my brother, and will be making another for another brother as soon as he buys his materials.

                    The ripstop nylon is comfortable and strong enough to handle the rigors of me camping in it constantly for the last two years. My next project is going to be making a unique underquilt (uses on buckles or elastic cord and doubles as blanket) and my own version of a tarp-tent.

                    I believe there's a group here called, 'Outdoor Sewing', that is all about sewing camping gear that'll give you lots of specific information on sewing if you need it.

                    Tom

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 14, 2010
                      Double layer hammocks??????????

                      How did the double layer hammock work out for you in regard to holding the insulation in place??????

                      I bought a Claytor Nonet hammock to try this concept---but since receiving it I have only camped once in a place where I knew there were two trees almost too close for my HH Nonet hammock which is shorter than the Claytor.

                      Yeah, I made 2 from Ed Speers instructions but I made them with double layers of fabric so I can put in and hold the pad securly.

                      /p-a, sweden

                      --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, "michalbuchanan" <michalbuchanan@ ...> wrote:

                      > Looking to sew up a hammock either this weekend or next. After browsing through a few online how-to's, I think I am going to look out for rip-stop nylon when I go fabric shopping. Wondering if anybody has any experience making hammocks out of a variety of fabrics.

                    • Troy Eckhardt
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 14, 2010
                        My homemade double-layer bridge hammock holds a pad very well.

                        Troy

                        On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Blake Robert <xflagstaff9@...>wrote:

                        > Double layer hammocks??????????
                        >
                        > How did the double layer hammock work out for you in regard to holding the
                        > insulation in place??????
                        >
                        > I bought a Claytor Nonet hammock to try this concept---but since receiving
                        > it I have only camped once in a place where I knew there were two trees
                        > almost too close for my HH Nonet hammock which is shorter than the Claytor.
                        >
                        > --- On Wed, 1/13/10, sm4inv <per-arne.asp@...<per-arne.asp%40tordata.se>>
                        > wrote:
                        >
                        > From: sm4inv <per-arne.asp@... <per-arne.asp%40tordata.se>>
                        > Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re: Anybody made their own?
                        > To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > Date: Wednesday, January 13, 2010, 2:49 AM
                        >

                        > Yeah, I made 2 from Ed Speers instructions but I made them with double
                        > layers of fabric so I can put in and hold the pad securly.
                        >
                        > /p-a, sweden
                        >
                        > --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, "michalbuchanan" <michalbuchanan@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Looking to sew up a hammock either this weekend or next. After browsing
                        > through a few online how-to's, I think I am going to look out for rip-stop
                        > nylon when I go fabric shopping. Wondering if anybody has any experience
                        > making hammocks out of a variety of fabrics.

                      • Douglas Campbell
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 14, 2010
                          I made one from Rick's site (www.imrisk.com) and it works great.

                          Doug C.

                          On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 9:31 AM, Blake Robert <xflagstaff9@...> wrote:

                          > Double layer hammocks??????????
                          >
                          > How did the double layer hammock work out for you in regard to holding the
                          > insulation in place??????
                          >
                          > I bought a Claytor Nonet hammock to try this concept---but since receiving
                          > it I have only camped once in a place where I knew there were two trees
                          > almost too close for my HH Nonet hammock which is shorter than the Claytor.
                          >
                          > --- On Wed, 1/13/10, sm4inv <per-arne.asp@...<per-arne.asp%40tordata.se>>
                          > wrote:
                          >
                          > From: sm4inv <per-arne.asp@... <per-arne.asp%40tordata.se>>
                          > Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re: Anybody made their own?
                          > To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>
                          > Date: Wednesday, January 13, 2010, 2:49 AM
                          >

                          > Yeah, I made 2 from Ed Speers instructions but I made them with double
                          > layers of fabric so I can put in and hold the pad securly.
                          >
                          > /p-a, sweden
                          >
                          > --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, "michalbuchanan" <michalbuchanan@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Looking to sew up a hammock either this weekend or next. After browsing
                          > through a few online how-to's, I think I am going to look out for rip-stop
                          > nylon when I go fabric shopping. Wondering if anybody has any experience
                          > making hammocks out of a variety of fabrics.

                        • Arye P. R.
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 17, 2010
                            stretch depends upon the weave, and how it is loaded. Most all fabric will stretch more on the bias (diagonal). Polyester thread and rope have less than nylon but again the amount of stretch depends upon the weave, load and native strength of the material/line. I recentlyreceived some 5.5 oz Dacron polyester sailcloth and was very surprised at the stretch on the bias when unloaded end to end.

                            SapereAude,

                            Arye P. Rubenstein