[Hammock Camping] Re: Cold weather, warm dog

  • David
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 24, 2009
      No, so far I haven't enclosed the front of his dog hammock, but that may come. One reason I started working on a dog hammock was to give him a warm, dry place to sleep. Another reason was to let me pitch my hammock on a slope or over rocks and logs. I have camped in places where there was no flat place big enough for a dog to lie down. I have learned that if possible, it's best to leave at least part of Bonaparte's hammock in contact with the ground - he doesn't like motion. But on a slope I can lift the downhill end of his hammock, and it keeps him from sliding downhill and partially wraps him with insulation. If it's cold enough, he will spend all night in a fully suspended hammock. YDMD (Your dog may differ.) When he sleeps directly under me, I think there is some shared warmth, but there would be more if I had a hammock sock or tent covering both of us. He sometimes benefits because the down insulation on the bottom of my hammock can hang low enough to rest on his back. Unfortunately, dogs tend to get up and turn around a number of times during the night, and he appears to dislike having something above him that he bumps into (namely me).

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Corbett House" <cahouse@...> wrote:

      > Looks like Bonaparte is also acting as a portable heater. Does the front of
      > his hammock zip closed?
      >
      > _____

    • rob mckibben
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 24, 2009
        If you only knew!!!

        I have returned to your site many times, as I am sure very many other
        folk have.

        You are/were a pioneer, and we appreciate you blazing the trails for us.

        THANK YOU!!!

        Rob