[Hammock Camping] Re: Cold weather, warm dog

  • PERRY
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 23, 2009
      Great subject. I haven't tried hammock camping yet because I couldn't decide on which hammock to purchase as my 9# Yorkie some times goes with me. He sleeps with me in the tent some times in my bag other times beside me on my down jacket. I like the Hennessy but worry he would fall out of the opening in the bottom and the possibility of rolling over on him. Also considered the Lawson,because it seems more flat, but it is not as highly recommended as the Hennessy.
      Good to know I'm not alone out there hammock camping with my dog.
      Perry
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Corbett House" <cahouse@...> wrote:

      > Looks like Bonaparte is also acting as a portable heater. Does the front of
      > his hammock zip closed?
      >
      > _____

    • Carey Parks
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 23, 2009
        The dog wouldn't fall out the slit once you are in it. If only the dog were
        in it, then he could. You don't roll around in a proper hammock. Once you
        are situated that is. Arrange things and off to dreamland until morning. The
        dog would end up sleeping on you, not next to you. Next to you becomes
        nearly vertical walls. Keep the nails clipped and not sharp.

        On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 4:30 PM, PERRY <churchillperry@...> wrote:

        > Great subject. I haven't tried hammock camping yet because I couldn't
        > decide on which hammock to purchase as my 9# Yorkie some times goes with me.
        > He sleeps with me in the tent some times in my bag other times beside me on
        > my down jacket. I like the Hennessy but worry he would fall out of the
        > opening in the bottom and the possibility of rolling over on him. Also
        > considered the Lawson,because it seems more flat, but it is not as highly
        > recommended as the Hennessy.
        > Good to know I'm not alone out there hammock camping with my dog.
        > Perry
        > "Corbett House" <cahouse@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Looks like Bonaparte is also acting as a portable heater. Does the front
        > of
        > > his hammock zip closed?
        > >
        > > _____

      • Rogene Calkins
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 23, 2009
          Don;t count on not rolling around I found myself entrapped in a hennesy
          lying supported on top of the skeeter netting and could not find my way to
          the opening the twisted above me. One of the side tie down stakes had come
          out of the ground allowing me to twist it to nearly upside down. I had to
          go pee now and could not get out. My husband was with me decided there was
          too much tension to drop the hammock with me inside unless he cut the ropes.
          He deiced to life up my body with his bad back?? to where I could wiggle
          back to the proper bottom then I could get out. The only other way was to
          cut me out of there. I have restless legs in my sleep so can end up in all
          sorts of shapes. One reason for me in a Henensy was to ensure I would not
          wiggle my way to fall out. I was surprised the netting held my weight.
          Way to go Tom Hennesy! your hammock sure are strong to support me and my
          night twisting.

          Rogene

          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 23, 2009
            Try a Risk Test hammock as a prototype (Make your own for about $10.00)
            to see how it will work with you and your dog

            Ralph

            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 24, 2009
              I really like it when I get mentioned in these conversations! It makes
              all the work I did a couple years ago worthwhile.

              Risk

            • Troy Eckhardt
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 24, 2009
                Risk, you're a legend and one of my minor heroes! I have not slept in a
                tent for several months now. I did settle on a bridge hammock, but I
                referred and still refer to your work. Thank you for all you have done for
                us hangers.

                Troy

                On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 8:53 AM, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:

                > I really like it when I get mentioned in these conversations! It makes
                > all the work I did a couple years ago worthwhile.
                >
                > Risk

              • Carey Parks
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 24, 2009
                  While we are patting Risk on the back, let me add that his work on one-tree
                  hangs has allowed me to fearlessly paddle out into the Everglades armed only
                  with my hammock secure in the knowledge that if push comes to shove I can
                  hang from one mangrove tree and my wooden Greenland paddle. I'll need to
                  bury a deadman in the beach really deep to take the pull, but it will work
                  in a pinch. Better than going to the ground anyway.

                  On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 9:02 AM, Troy Eckhardt
                  <TRex.YahooGroups@...>wrote:

                  > Risk, you're a legend and one of my minor heroes! I have not slept in a
                  > tent for several months now. I did settle on a bridge hammock, but I
                  > referred and still refer to your work. Thank you for all you have done for
                  > us hangers.
                  >
                  > Troy
                  >
                  > On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 8:53 AM, Rick <ra1@... <ra1%40imrisk.com>>
                  > wrote:
                  >

                  > > I really like it when I get mentioned in these conversations! It makes
                  > > all the work I did a couple years ago worthwhile.
                  > >
                  > > Risk

                • Sandy
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 24, 2009
                    I have an el cheapo Byer of Maine Moskito Traveler. I used my HH once and gave it away...did not like the bottom entry. with my hammock, you can just flip it over if you don't need the mosquito netting.

                    My 6 lb chihuahua has napped in there with me...he just curls up wherever he wants...he's a burrower, but sometimes sort of curls himself around the top of my head, so i throw a fleece blankie over him.

                    sandy in miami

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "PERRY" <churchillperry@...> wrote:

                    > Great subject. I haven't tried hammock camping yet because I couldn't decide on which hammock to purchase as my 9# Yorkie some times goes with me. He sleeps with me in the tent some times in my bag other times beside me on my down jacket. I like the Hennessy but worry he would fall out of the opening in the bottom and the possibility of rolling over on him. Also considered the Lawson,because it seems more flat, but it is not as highly recommended as the Hennessy.
                    > Good to know I'm not alone out there hammock camping with my dog.
                    > Perry
                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Corbett House" <cahouse@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Looks like Bonaparte is also acting as a portable heater. Does the front of
                    > > his hammock zip closed?
                    > >
                    > > _____

                  • David
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 24, 2009
                      No, so far I haven't enclosed the front of his dog hammock, but that may come. One reason I started working on a dog hammock was to give him a warm, dry place to sleep. Another reason was to let me pitch my hammock on a slope or over rocks and logs. I have camped in places where there was no flat place big enough for a dog to lie down. I have learned that if possible, it's best to leave at least part of Bonaparte's hammock in contact with the ground - he doesn't like motion. But on a slope I can lift the downhill end of his hammock, and it keeps him from sliding downhill and partially wraps him with insulation. If it's cold enough, he will spend all night in a fully suspended hammock. YDMD (Your dog may differ.) When he sleeps directly under me, I think there is some shared warmth, but there would be more if I had a hammock sock or tent covering both of us. He sometimes benefits because the down insulation on the bottom of my hammock can hang low enough to rest on his back. Unfortunately, dogs tend to get up and turn around a number of times during the night, and he appears to dislike having something above him that he bumps into (namely me).

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Corbett House" <cahouse@...> wrote:

                      > Looks like Bonaparte is also acting as a portable heater. Does the front of
                      > his hammock zip closed?
                      >
                      > _____

                    • rob mckibben
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 24, 2009
                        If you only knew!!!

                        I have returned to your site many times, as I am sure very many other
                        folk have.

                        You are/were a pioneer, and we appreciate you blazing the trails for us.

                        THANK YOU!!!

                        Rob