Hennessy

  • Jonathan Kerstetter
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8, 2009
      I've had a bit of experience with hennesies so here's my take,

      1. You will almost certainly want to go for a larger size. I know the expedition asym is one of the lightest, but you won't mind the extra ounces while you're cursing in the middle of the night trying to get comfortable and warm.

      2. I've used pads (even in june in TN, because it can go below 50 degree at night) inside of hammocks plenty and the hennesy in my experience is one of the more difficult hammocks to do this with because of how you enter the hammock. It takes a few minutes of squirming to get a thermarest comfortably beneath you and the squareness of the pad can make things difficult (I personally like the 90 degree corners as they seem to spread the hammock away from my face, shoulders, and feet). I have had good luck with getting a cheap closed cell foam pad ($5-$15) and cutting it into an oval or marquis shape, a bit fatter at my shoulders, and using that as well. Never used an under quilt and really want to try it.

      3. Hennesies are some excellent hammocks, but they are not for everyone. It seems like it is a love/hate relationship with many of the people I know that use them--some people love them, some people hate them. While you will pay a bit more for the hennesy than other hammocks, the inclusion of built in bug netting and a rainfly more than make up for this. I tried the hennesy and the ENO brand hammocks and I eventually went with the ENO, because I liked the versatility. If it is cold, I can leave my bug netting at home. If I know that there is 0% chance of rain I might leave the rain fly behind (probably not though and you can also do this with the hennessy).

      I will also say that I did not shell out the cash for the ENO rain fly I got an 8x10 camping tarp for about half the price and use it instead. I also made my own three huggers out of climbing webbing so the the rope ends of the hennessy do not "ring" the trees. I've found that simply secureing about a 10-15 foot length of tubular webbing with a water knot (giving me a loop of webbing) works well around smaller trees. I just pull one end through the other around the tree and let friction do the rest (confused let me know and I'll go into a more indepth descpiption).

      I borrowed and tried each of these hammocks from friends before investing in one myself and I think it is more an issue of personal preference than it is one hammock being "better" than another. I would say to try and test out every camping hammock you can find overnight at least once. By the time you're done you will KNOW which one you want.

      -Jonathan TN
    • Red Roach
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 8, 2009
        Hennessy Does have the Deep Jungle out now.
        It is a side zip/entry Hennessy hammock with a double bottom for
        inserting a pad.

        It is quite a bit different from their other hammocks in execution,
        but not in design.
        Might take a look at it as well.

        I have ditched the HH flies for a jacks r better tarp. it is larger,
        can be used as shelter if I can't use trees, and I just plain like it

        TV