Re: [Hammock Camping] Hennessy Expedition Asym

  • Regis Good
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 7, 2009
      Good advice TV,

      I'm about Colby's size, 6'-1", and there is a cutoff on Hennessy's site ( up to 6' ), on the sizing.
      I purchased both sizes, one for my girlfriend, I tried both and I'm much more comfortable in the larger one.

      Nice hammocks!

      Rege

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 7, 2009
        Colby:

             You should check out hammockforums.net..........you see the different types of hammocks that are out on the market and have any other questions that you may have answered by a good group of people.

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 7, 2009
          On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 7:39 AM, Colby <colby@...> wrote:

          > Hey everyone,
          >
          > I'm a back country hiker in the Smoky Mountains. I'm considering
          > purchasing a Hennessey Expedition Asym instead of getting a new tent and
          > have a few questions if anyone could help, I'd appreciate it:
          >
          > 1. The description says that it is geared for people below 6 foot. I'm
          > 6'2" which is real close and there is additional cost and weight to the
          > taller one. Anyone know if it is that tight of a fit or do you think I
          > could get by?
          >
          > 2. I keep reading about having pads and additional gear for cold weather.
          > It is rarely (if ever) below 40 anytime I'm out. I have a thermarest,
          > would I need it, would the thermarest suffice?
          >
          > 3. Any general thoughts on the Expedition Asym as in quality, anything
          > that you would suggest me to consider.
          >
          > Thanks ahead of time,
          > Colby

          1. I'm about your height and went for the bigger one, well worth it!
          2.My thermarest works fine to about 40° . but bring a couple of small one
          foot square closed cell pads to put between the sides of the hammock and
          your knees and butt! Sides matter in a hammock. :]
          3. Hennessy quality is amazing. Get the tree huggers, I made (or my wife
          made) my own snakeskins, but they are worth having also!

          Ralph

        • Cara Lin Bridgman
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 8, 2009
            The longer hammock could be nice. My 6-foot husband seems to fit ok in
            the backpacker asym, but he's the long, narrow type. If you're wide or
            over 200 lbs, you'll want more room. I'm 5'3 and wide (near 200 lbs)
            and sometimes I want more room.

            The thermarest can work. I found that having me, quilt, pillow (aka
            raingear or sweater), water bottle (I rigged a mini hammock from the
            ridge-line for this), pencil, note paper, flashlight, and glasses was
            already too much inside the hammock. I really do not like having to
            mess around with a layer under me, too--especially as everything tends
            to get under me and I have to mess with digging it out. So, I very
            quickly coughed up the cash for a Jacks-R-Better 3-season set. Since I
            never use the velcro opening of the nest (I sleep cold), I rather wish
            I'd bought two No Snivelers, instead of a nest+noSniveler. I use the
            underquilt all the time--even through steamy nights in southern Taiwan
            and central Alabama. This 3-season set works ok for me down to about
            50*C, but it depends greatly on wind and overall humidity. I've felt
            mighty cold at 32-40*C--cold enough to steal the thermarest from
            underneath my husband and use it inside my hammock.

            CL
          • ptoddf
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 9, 2009
              Understand that Hennessey has a fine tuned, patented system. If you lie in one and like it, you can only get the results from the mfg. He has the end folding method and the fixed ridge line patented.

              I ripped out the mosquito net on my Hennessey backpacker asym because I like the lay, and I wanted to use my PeaPod, an overbag made by Speer. I just took the net in hand and it ripped out right along the seam. Had to cut through over sewn reinforcements. Now I use it as an over the side entry hammock and close the PeaPod over the hammock bed, underneath the ridge line. My overstuffed PeaPod works in all temps, down to zero degrees F. It's different, but I couldn't stand the usual pads, bags, underquilts or other paraphernalia.

              To me this was worthwhile. I don't need the netting, and Hennessey has a unique feel and lay that works for me. using the hammock as a chair now works exceptionally well too. Overall, much more comfortable than other hammocks for me. I would get the longer length for greater comfort.

              Best, Todd F.
            • Blake Robert
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 10, 2009
                I also use an HH w/o a net. First I bought one with the net and liked it exc. for the net---which is rarely needed in Arizona. Then, I contacted HH (Tom) and found I could buy the HH w/o a net for a lot less---so, I ordered one and have been very happy with it.

                I highly recommend buying the HH w/o a net.

                     R Blake

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 10, 2009
                  Unless of course you live in Florida, or some other place with bugs. But
                  it's good to know you can get them w/o a net if that's what you need rather
                  than ripping one off a netted hammock.

                  Carey