Hennessy Expedition Asym

  • Colby
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 7, 2009
      Hey everyone,

      I'm a back country hiker in the Smoky Mountains. I'm considering purchasing a Hennessey Expedition Asym instead of getting a new tent and have a few questions if anyone could help, I'd appreciate it:

      1. The description says that it is geared for people below 6 foot. I'm 6'2" which is real close and there is additional cost and weight to the taller one. Anyone know if it is that tight of a fit or do you think I could get by?

      2. I keep reading about having pads and additional gear for cold weather. It is rarely (if ever) below 40 anytime I'm out. I have a thermarest, would I need it, would the thermarest suffice?

      3. Any general thoughts on the Expedition Asym as in quality, anything that you would suggest me to consider.

      Thanks ahead of time,
      Colby
    • Red Roach
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 7, 2009
        Just from experience, I would go with the larger hammock. The sizing
        makes a difference.

        I have to use an underquilt or pad of some sort when it drops below 70
        F with my Hennessy Hammocks (or any hammock).
        A lot of people use pads, but they are difficult to position and/or
        keep in position, one of the reasons I have used the HH underpad and
        undercover and recently switched to an under quilt. It is better to be
        warm and comfortable than cold and nearly comfortable.

        TV
      • Regis Good
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 7, 2009
          Good advice TV,

          I'm about Colby's size, 6'-1", and there is a cutoff on Hennessy's site ( up to 6' ), on the sizing.
          I purchased both sizes, one for my girlfriend, I tried both and I'm much more comfortable in the larger one.

          Nice hammocks!

          Rege

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 7, 2009
            Colby:

                 You should check out hammockforums.net..........you see the different types of hammocks that are out on the market and have any other questions that you may have answered by a good group of people.

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 7, 2009
              On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 7:39 AM, Colby <colby@...> wrote:

              > Hey everyone,
              >
              > I'm a back country hiker in the Smoky Mountains. I'm considering
              > purchasing a Hennessey Expedition Asym instead of getting a new tent and
              > have a few questions if anyone could help, I'd appreciate it:
              >
              > 1. The description says that it is geared for people below 6 foot. I'm
              > 6'2" which is real close and there is additional cost and weight to the
              > taller one. Anyone know if it is that tight of a fit or do you think I
              > could get by?
              >
              > 2. I keep reading about having pads and additional gear for cold weather.
              > It is rarely (if ever) below 40 anytime I'm out. I have a thermarest,
              > would I need it, would the thermarest suffice?
              >
              > 3. Any general thoughts on the Expedition Asym as in quality, anything
              > that you would suggest me to consider.
              >
              > Thanks ahead of time,
              > Colby

              1. I'm about your height and went for the bigger one, well worth it!
              2.My thermarest works fine to about 40° . but bring a couple of small one
              foot square closed cell pads to put between the sides of the hammock and
              your knees and butt! Sides matter in a hammock. :]
              3. Hennessy quality is amazing. Get the tree huggers, I made (or my wife
              made) my own snakeskins, but they are worth having also!

              Ralph

            • Cara Lin Bridgman
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 8, 2009
                The longer hammock could be nice. My 6-foot husband seems to fit ok in
                the backpacker asym, but he's the long, narrow type. If you're wide or
                over 200 lbs, you'll want more room. I'm 5'3 and wide (near 200 lbs)
                and sometimes I want more room.

                The thermarest can work. I found that having me, quilt, pillow (aka
                raingear or sweater), water bottle (I rigged a mini hammock from the
                ridge-line for this), pencil, note paper, flashlight, and glasses was
                already too much inside the hammock. I really do not like having to
                mess around with a layer under me, too--especially as everything tends
                to get under me and I have to mess with digging it out. So, I very
                quickly coughed up the cash for a Jacks-R-Better 3-season set. Since I
                never use the velcro opening of the nest (I sleep cold), I rather wish
                I'd bought two No Snivelers, instead of a nest+noSniveler. I use the
                underquilt all the time--even through steamy nights in southern Taiwan
                and central Alabama. This 3-season set works ok for me down to about
                50*C, but it depends greatly on wind and overall humidity. I've felt
                mighty cold at 32-40*C--cold enough to steal the thermarest from
                underneath my husband and use it inside my hammock.

                CL
              • ptoddf
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 9, 2009
                  Understand that Hennessey has a fine tuned, patented system. If you lie in one and like it, you can only get the results from the mfg. He has the end folding method and the fixed ridge line patented.

                  I ripped out the mosquito net on my Hennessey backpacker asym because I like the lay, and I wanted to use my PeaPod, an overbag made by Speer. I just took the net in hand and it ripped out right along the seam. Had to cut through over sewn reinforcements. Now I use it as an over the side entry hammock and close the PeaPod over the hammock bed, underneath the ridge line. My overstuffed PeaPod works in all temps, down to zero degrees F. It's different, but I couldn't stand the usual pads, bags, underquilts or other paraphernalia.

                  To me this was worthwhile. I don't need the netting, and Hennessey has a unique feel and lay that works for me. using the hammock as a chair now works exceptionally well too. Overall, much more comfortable than other hammocks for me. I would get the longer length for greater comfort.

                  Best, Todd F.
                • Blake Robert
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 10, 2009
                    I also use an HH w/o a net. First I bought one with the net and liked it exc. for the net---which is rarely needed in Arizona. Then, I contacted HH (Tom) and found I could buy the HH w/o a net for a lot less---so, I ordered one and have been very happy with it.

                    I highly recommend buying the HH w/o a net.

                         R Blake

                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 10, 2009
                      Unless of course you live in Florida, or some other place with bugs. But
                      it's good to know you can get them w/o a net if that's what you need rather
                      than ripping one off a netted hammock.

                      Carey