Lawson

  • churchillperry
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 6, 2009
      Considering the Lawson Blue Ridge. I've read what little I could find on here about it but was looking for more input. Just got back into backpacking and saw a hammock tent on my last outing. Currently I'm using a 2-man dome tent and blow up air mattress weighing in at about 10# for both. Can't sleep on the thin ensolite pads anymore! A hammock sounds like the answer.
      My reasoning for the Lawson is I live in Southern California and plan on doing some desert trips in the winter months and there are no trees to hang a hammock. The Lawson claims it can be used as a bivy tent.
      To help with comments, I'm 68yo, 5'-11", 185#, Use an external frame pack, and carry 25 to 35# for 2and 3 day trips. Some times take my dog (yorkie).
      Any advice would be helpful.
      Thanks
      Perry Churchill
    • Thomas Vickers
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 6, 2009
        I have used a Lawson Blueridge hammock.
        It is very much a hanging tent vs being a true hammock to me.

        Any questions in particular that you have?

        TV
      • Thomas Vickers
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 6, 2009
        • Jim Priest
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 6, 2009
            I can't imagine any of the hammocks with bug nets couldn't be rigged
            up as bivys in an emergency. I have a SBPro and I'm sure i could rig
            it up on the ground if I had to... Just stake it and suspend the bug
            net.

            Jim

            On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 3:39 PM, churchillperry <churchillperry@...> wrote:
            > Considering the Lawson Blue Ridge. I've read what little I could find on here about it but was looking for more input. Just got back into backpacking and saw a hammock tent on my last outing. Currently I'm using a 2-man dome tent and blow up air mattress weighing in at about 10# for both. Can't sleep on the thin ensolite pads anymore! A hammock sounds like the answer.
            > My reasoning for the Lawson is I live If in Southern California and plan on doing some desert trips in the winter months and there are no trees to hang a hammock. The Lawson claims it can be used as a bivy tent.
            > To help with comments, I'm 68yo, 5'-11", 185#, Use an external frame pack, and carry 25 to 35# for 2and 3 day trips. Some times take my dog (yorkie).
            > Any advice would be helpful.
            > Thanks
            > Perry Churchill

            Jim Priest - thecrumb.com
            Triangle Area ColdFusion User Group - tacfug.org
            --
            Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. ~ Frank Zappa
          • Red Roach
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 6, 2009
              With hiking poles I can rig any of my HH on the ground. Of course now
              I would probably just put up my Jacks R Better Tarp/fly instead and
              use it to keep the elements off of me unless I needed the bugnet to
              keep the bugs off

              TV