RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: assist in hanging higher on the tree

  • Jerry Goller
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
      True, but none of those come in 2" webbing, as far as I know. Considering
      that I have some straps that are 3 or 4 years old, and it would cost me
      about $10 a year, max, to replace them every year, I don't think I'll bother
      looking for any of those in 2" webbing..... ;o) Polypro is inexpensive,
      light, hydrophobic, and doesn't stretch.

      I'm not really concerned about over time, just this season.

      Worrying about long lasting ropes reminded me of one time when I was living
      on South Padre Island, TX. Backpacking is pretty much unheard of in South
      Texas. I was at the dumpster at my apartment. I was tossing about $2,000.00
      worth of packs away. There was nothing wrong with them. They were in great
      shape. But they had all outlived their usefulness to me. They were too heavy
      and/or not as comfortable as more modern packs. There was no one to give
      them to. All I could think of as I tossed those packs in the dumpster was
      all that weight in over-engineering and money I had wasted on those packs.
      They were replaced with better, lighter packs long before they wore out.

      When Wayne Gregory was designing the Z-Pack he called me for advice on light
      weight packs. I kiddingly told him that the perfect long distance pack for,
      say the AT, would be one that as I raised my arms in victory on Katadyn
      would fall apart. That way I'd know I hadn't carried one single ounce of
      pack I didn't need for those 2100 miles.

      I don't plan on leaving my gear for posterity. As long as it lasts one
      season, and does exactly what I want it to do, I'm happy. I can't ever
      remember actually wearing a piece of backpacking gear out in 55+ years of
      backpacking.

      Jerry

      reviews and tests on the planet.