Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: assist in hanging higher on the tree

  • Arye P. R.
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
      and Polypropylene is the almost the worst to use in the yard and exposed to SUN and weather. It will fail much faster than nylon or polyester given the same factors. Amsteel, Dacron, Dyneema, Mylar, KRYPTON-D etc. are all BRANDS and blends of polyester and/or UHMPE (UHMWPE) Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene Ropes which are more expensive but give the best performance for hammocking over time. A polyester product is the way to go for us.

      for more types of rope/line than you will ever need see the following sites.
      They also have good charts spelling out strength and stretch factore of most ropes
      <http://www.cbknot.com/CommercialFishing.htm>
      <http://www.cbknot.com/recreationalmarine.htm>

      SapereAude,

      Arye P. Rubenstein

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
        True, but none of those come in 2" webbing, as far as I know. Considering
        that I have some straps that are 3 or 4 years old, and it would cost me
        about $10 a year, max, to replace them every year, I don't think I'll bother
        looking for any of those in 2" webbing..... ;o) Polypro is inexpensive,
        light, hydrophobic, and doesn't stretch.

        I'm not really concerned about over time, just this season.

        Worrying about long lasting ropes reminded me of one time when I was living
        on South Padre Island, TX. Backpacking is pretty much unheard of in South
        Texas. I was at the dumpster at my apartment. I was tossing about $2,000.00
        worth of packs away. There was nothing wrong with them. They were in great
        shape. But they had all outlived their usefulness to me. They were too heavy
        and/or not as comfortable as more modern packs. There was no one to give
        them to. All I could think of as I tossed those packs in the dumpster was
        all that weight in over-engineering and money I had wasted on those packs.
        They were replaced with better, lighter packs long before they wore out.

        When Wayne Gregory was designing the Z-Pack he called me for advice on light
        weight packs. I kiddingly told him that the perfect long distance pack for,
        say the AT, would be one that as I raised my arms in victory on Katadyn
        would fall apart. That way I'd know I hadn't carried one single ounce of
        pack I didn't need for those 2100 miles.

        I don't plan on leaving my gear for posterity. As long as it lasts one
        season, and does exactly what I want it to do, I'm happy. I can't ever
        remember actually wearing a piece of backpacking gear out in 55+ years of
        backpacking.

        Jerry

        database 4516 (20091016) __________

        http://www.eset.com