Re: MAHHA

  • paulkaercher
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
    • Arye P. R.
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
        and Polypropylene is the almost the worst to use in the yard and exposed to SUN and weather. It will fail much faster than nylon or polyester given the same factors. Amsteel, Dacron, Dyneema, Mylar, KRYPTON-D etc. are all BRANDS and blends of polyester and/or UHMPE (UHMWPE) Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene Ropes which are more expensive but give the best performance for hammocking over time. A polyester product is the way to go for us.

        for more types of rope/line than you will ever need see the following sites.
        They also have good charts spelling out strength and stretch factore of most ropes
        <http://www.cbknot.com/CommercialFishing.htm>
        <http://www.cbknot.com/recreationalmarine.htm>

        SapereAude,

        Arye P. Rubenstein

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
          True, but none of those come in 2" webbing, as far as I know. Considering
          that I have some straps that are 3 or 4 years old, and it would cost me
          about $10 a year, max, to replace them every year, I don't think I'll bother
          looking for any of those in 2" webbing..... ;o) Polypro is inexpensive,
          light, hydrophobic, and doesn't stretch.

          I'm not really concerned about over time, just this season.

          Worrying about long lasting ropes reminded me of one time when I was living
          on South Padre Island, TX. Backpacking is pretty much unheard of in South
          Texas. I was at the dumpster at my apartment. I was tossing about $2,000.00
          worth of packs away. There was nothing wrong with them. They were in great
          shape. But they had all outlived their usefulness to me. They were too heavy
          and/or not as comfortable as more modern packs. There was no one to give
          them to. All I could think of as I tossed those packs in the dumpster was
          all that weight in over-engineering and money I had wasted on those packs.
          They were replaced with better, lighter packs long before they wore out.

          When Wayne Gregory was designing the Z-Pack he called me for advice on light
          weight packs. I kiddingly told him that the perfect long distance pack for,
          say the AT, would be one that as I raised my arms in victory on Katadyn
          would fall apart. That way I'd know I hadn't carried one single ounce of
          pack I didn't need for those 2100 miles.

          I don't plan on leaving my gear for posterity. As long as it lasts one
          season, and does exactly what I want it to do, I'm happy. I can't ever
          remember actually wearing a piece of backpacking gear out in 55+ years of
          backpacking.

          Jerry

          database 4516 (20091016) __________

          http://www.eset.com