RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: assist in hanging higher on the tree

  • Jerry Goller
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
      True. Polypropylene is what I use most.

      Jerry

      reviews and tests on the planet.

      -----Original Message-----
      From: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com]
      On Behalf Of Arye P. R.
      Sent: Friday, October 16, 2009 6:48 AM
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: assist in hanging higher on the tree

      Stretch is relative to multiple factors - the material, the weave, the
      length under load, and the strength (load capacity) of the rope/strap being
      used. All these factors determine the amount of stretch a user will get.
      Also how a material is treated by the manufacturer in manufacturing and how
      a material is treated by the end user in use.

      "poly" says nothing Used here it is a consumer abbreviation for a group of
      materials plastics rope fabric... Be specific, polyester or polypropylene.
      All have materials by end use manufacturer have different characteristics -
      abrasion, stretch, chemical, UV, resistance to name a few.

      SapereAude,

      Arye P. Rubenstein

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
      • Arye P. R.
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
          and Polypropylene is the almost the worst to use in the yard and exposed to SUN and weather. It will fail much faster than nylon or polyester given the same factors. Amsteel, Dacron, Dyneema, Mylar, KRYPTON-D etc. are all BRANDS and blends of polyester and/or UHMPE (UHMWPE) Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene Ropes which are more expensive but give the best performance for hammocking over time. A polyester product is the way to go for us.

          for more types of rope/line than you will ever need see the following sites.
          They also have good charts spelling out strength and stretch factore of most ropes
          <http://www.cbknot.com/CommercialFishing.htm>
          <http://www.cbknot.com/recreationalmarine.htm>

          SapereAude,

          Arye P. Rubenstein

          ________________________________

          ____________ _________ _________ __

          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
            True, but none of those come in 2" webbing, as far as I know. Considering
            that I have some straps that are 3 or 4 years old, and it would cost me
            about $10 a year, max, to replace them every year, I don't think I'll bother
            looking for any of those in 2" webbing..... ;o) Polypro is inexpensive,
            light, hydrophobic, and doesn't stretch.

            I'm not really concerned about over time, just this season.

            Worrying about long lasting ropes reminded me of one time when I was living
            on South Padre Island, TX. Backpacking is pretty much unheard of in South
            Texas. I was at the dumpster at my apartment. I was tossing about $2,000.00
            worth of packs away. There was nothing wrong with them. They were in great
            shape. But they had all outlived their usefulness to me. They were too heavy
            and/or not as comfortable as more modern packs. There was no one to give
            them to. All I could think of as I tossed those packs in the dumpster was
            all that weight in over-engineering and money I had wasted on those packs.
            They were replaced with better, lighter packs long before they wore out.

            When Wayne Gregory was designing the Z-Pack he called me for advice on light
            weight packs. I kiddingly told him that the perfect long distance pack for,
            say the AT, would be one that as I raised my arms in victory on Katadyn
            would fall apart. That way I'd know I hadn't carried one single ounce of
            pack I didn't need for those 2100 miles.

            I don't plan on leaving my gear for posterity. As long as it lasts one
            season, and does exactly what I want it to do, I'm happy. I can't ever
            remember actually wearing a piece of backpacking gear out in 55+ years of
            backpacking.

            database 4516 (20091016) __________

            http://www.eset.com