Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: assist in hanging higher on the tree

  • Arye P. R.
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
      Stretch is relative to multiple factors - the material, the weave, the length under load, and the strength (load capacity) of the rope/strap being used. All these factors determine the amount of stretch a user will get. Also how a material is treated by the manufacturer in manufacturing and how a material is treated by the end user in use.

      "poly" says nothing Used here it is a consumer abbreviation for a group of materials plastics rope fabric... Be specific, polyester or polypropylene. All have materials by end use manufacturer have different characteristics - abrasion, stretch, chemical, UV, resistance to name a few.

      SapereAude,

      Arye P. Rubenstein

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
        True. Polypropylene is what I use most.

        Jerry

        reviews and tests on the planet.

        The further apart the trees are, the higher you have to get the suspension
        on the trees. I use the point of a trekking pole to lift and raise the
        straps on the trunk of the tree. An extensible trekking pole is useful as a
        porch strut for the tarp as well. The straps are generally loose enough on
        the trunk when there is no weight in the hammock. I have also used trees
        with a lot of small branches - put the tip of the pole in the biner or loop
        and shove it through high branches.

        Lori

        --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, "David" <delliott78@ ...> wrote:

        > I have recently revisited Dave Womble's excellent files on the forces
        > on
        hammock suspensions and ridgelines here:

        > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/hammockcam ping/files/ Youngblood%
        > 27s/
        >
        > I like to hang my dog's hammock under mine, so I tighten the support
        ropes
        to raise my hammock and make room for his. This greatly increases the forces
        on the support ropes and structural ridgeline. (Both hammocks hang from the
        same points at the ends of the ridgeline.) Add in the extra 70 lb.
        that the dog weighs for more force. Then consider the occasional need to use
        trees that are farther apart. My 7/64" amsteel support ropes are cut to
        handle tree-to-tree separations of up to 25 ft., but I've only been able to
        use that use that a couple of times, and the tension is scary. (I usually
        try to do this across a hollow, so I have the benefit of extra height, hence
        more sag. My question is this: has anyone devised a method of attaching tree
        huggers higher, possibly using hiking poles or forked sticks? I'd like to be
        able to easily place my tree huggers about two or three feet higher than I
        can reach (and retrieve them easily the next morning). I use a hammock
        because about 25 years ago I lost my ability to sleep soundly on roots and
        rocks. Somewhere along the way my enthusiasm for shinnying up trees with a
        strap in my mouth went away, too.

        database 4510 (20091015) __________

        http://www.eset. com

        database 4510 (20091015) __________

        http://www.eset. com

        database 4510 (20091015) __________

        http://www.eset. com

        database 4511 (20091015) __________

        http://www.eset. com

        database 4511 (20091015) __________

        http://www.eset. com

        database 4515 (20091016) __________

        http://www.eset.com
      • paulkaercher
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
        • Arye P. R.
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
            and Polypropylene is the almost the worst to use in the yard and exposed to SUN and weather. It will fail much faster than nylon or polyester given the same factors. Amsteel, Dacron, Dyneema, Mylar, KRYPTON-D etc. are all BRANDS and blends of polyester and/or UHMPE (UHMWPE) Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene Ropes which are more expensive but give the best performance for hammocking over time. A polyester product is the way to go for us.

            for more types of rope/line than you will ever need see the following sites.
            They also have good charts spelling out strength and stretch factore of most ropes
            <http://www.cbknot.com/CommercialFishing.htm>
            <http://www.cbknot.com/recreationalmarine.htm>

            SapereAude,

            Arye P. Rubenstein

            ________________________________

            ____________ _________ _________ __

            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
              True, but none of those come in 2" webbing, as far as I know. Considering
              that I have some straps that are 3 or 4 years old, and it would cost me
              about $10 a year, max, to replace them every year, I don't think I'll bother
              looking for any of those in 2" webbing..... ;o) Polypro is inexpensive,
              light, hydrophobic, and doesn't stretch.

              I'm not really concerned about over time, just this season.

              Worrying about long lasting ropes reminded me of one time when I was living
              on South Padre Island, TX. Backpacking is pretty much unheard of in South
              Texas. I was at the dumpster at my apartment. I was tossing about $2,000.00
              worth of packs away. There was nothing wrong with them. They were in great
              shape. But they had all outlived their usefulness to me. They were too heavy
              and/or not as comfortable as more modern packs. There was no one to give
              them to. All I could think of as I tossed those packs in the dumpster was
              all that weight in over-engineering and money I had wasted on those packs.
              They were replaced with better, lighter packs long before they wore out.

              When Wayne Gregory was designing the Z-Pack he called me for advice on light
              weight packs. I kiddingly told him that the perfect long distance pack for,
              say the AT, would be one that as I raised my arms in victory on Katadyn
              would fall apart. That way I'd know I hadn't carried one single ounce of
              pack I didn't need for those 2100 miles.

              I don't plan on leaving my gear for posterity. As long as it lasts one
              season, and does exactly what I want it to do, I'm happy. I can't ever
              remember actually wearing a piece of backpacking gear out in 55+ years of
              backpacking.

              Jerry

              database 4516 (20091016) __________

              http://www.eset.com