Re: [Hammock Camping] Advice on hanging Snugpak underquilt

  • Tom Frazier
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 16, 2009
      Wow...something I haven't heard of yet! Where did you purchase the Snugpak? Lastly, what kind of insulation does it use? Artificial poly stuff or down?

      Tom

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 16, 2009
        Got the underblanket from DD Hammocks http://www.ddhammocks.com/products.php?cat=8 its really toasty and when I leant it to my daughter for her first hammock outing last weekend she ended up unzipping the sleeping bag as she was too hot! It really does its job well but I would like to mod it slightly (a bit like putting Krabs on the DD to make hanging quicker and easier) so that putting it up is more simple. At the moment i have 4 bits of elastic at each end and some sewn in tapes. Help me hammockcamping....your my only hope :-)

        lastly..The size is 2.15m by 1.5m (at the middle/ widest point) and the fill is synthetic. Thats all it says on the web site anyway.

        Sam

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Frazier" <wildewudu@...> wrote:

        > Wow...something I haven't heard of yet! Where did you purchase the Snugpak? Lastly, what kind of insulation does it use? Artificial poly stuff or down?
        >

        > Tom

      • Jerry Goller
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 16, 2009
          Notice how much the straps stretch when he sets in it....

          Jerry

          reviews and tests on the planet.

          leant it to my daughter for her first hammock outing last weekend she ended
          up unzipping the sleeping bag as she was too hot! It really does its job
          well but I would like to mod it slightly (a bit like putting Krabs on the DD
          to make hanging quicker and easier) so that putting it up is more simple.
          At the moment i have 4 bits of elastic at each end and some sewn in tapes.
          Help me hammockcamping....your my only hope :-)

          lastly..The size is 2.15m by 1.5m (at the middle/ widest point) and the fill
          is synthetic. Thats all it says on the web site anyway.

          Sam

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Frazier" <wildewudu@...> wrote:

          > Wow...something I haven't heard of yet! Where did you purchase the
          Snugpak? Lastly, what kind of insulation does it use? Artificial poly stuff
          or down?

          > Tom

          database 4515 (20091016) __________

          http://www.eset.com

          database 4515 (20091016) __________

          http://www.eset.com
        • Tom Frazier
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 16, 2009
            Thank you for the link! After reading about it briefly on here I scoured the internet for where to purchase it, but I only found references to it on hammockforums.net in the search engine and comments that it didn't come with instructions so the majority of the posts were on how to hang it! I'm going to check it out now!

            Tom

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 20, 2009
              Stretching straps..... Scissors ;-)

              Sorry for not being able to come up with some pics.

              At the price of the DD / Snugpack underquilt I couldn't resist trying one
              out. So far so good.

              Nice and toastie, fiber fill (no down), but indeed too many straps, bungees
              etc. so I had to modify it to the simplicity of a JRB underquilt.... So
              Sam, it's relatively easy to modify and save your hammocking future ;-)
              Grtz Johan
              On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 7:43 PM, Jerry Goller <
              jerrygoller@...> wrote:

              > Notice how much the straps stretch when he sets in it....
              >
              > Jerry
              >
              > http://www.BackpackGearTest.org <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> : the
              > most comprehensive interactive gear
              > reviews and tests on the planet.

              mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63
              email: gonewalkabout2003@...

              http://www.geocities.com/johanvandijk
              http://calendar.yahoo.com/johanvandijk

            • sjedwardson
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 20, 2009
                Thanks for the reply, what mods did you make to the underblanket? never heard of the JRB (will have to google it).

                Cheers

                Sam

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Johan van Dijk <gonewalkabout2003@...> wrote:

                > Stretching straps..... Scissors ;-)
                >
                > Sorry for not being able to come up with some pics.
                >
                > At the price of the DD / Snugpack underquilt I couldn't resist trying one
                > out. So far so good.
                >
                > Nice and toastie, fiber fill (no down), but indeed too many straps, bungees
                > etc. so I had to modify it to the simplicity of a JRB underquilt.... So
                > Sam, it's relatively easy to modify and save your hammocking future ;-)
                > Grtz Johan
                > On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 7:43 PM, Jerry Goller <

              • Thomas Vickers
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 20, 2009
                • sjedwardson
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 20, 2009
                    hmmmm hammock slightly different to the DD but i can see how tying the elastic just to the end of the hammock would do the trick. Cant help but wonder if cord instead of elastic would have been better. Or am i missing something?

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Vickers <redroach@...> wrote:

                    > http://www.jacksrbetter.com/

                  • Tom Frazier
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 20, 2009
                      I got the JRB (Jack's R Better) "Hammock Hut" and, though expensive, it's fantastic! Helps keep me warmer in winter by completely preventing the wind from sapping my built up heat plus, the best part, it can be set up for complete privacy, something not possible with any other tarp that I'm aware of. There was one feller who even did a Hammock Hut mod. so he could have a lightweight foldable stove (like the kind sold by Titanium Goat and Kifaru), complete with smoke stack! JRB has some good products in good colors (I've always hated the bright oranges and yellows of typical market camping gear)!

                      Tom