Advice on hanging Snugpak underquilt

  • sjedwardson
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 15, 2009
      I bought the Snugpak underquilt/blanket recently and so far have had some very warm and comfortable experiences in it, however, as yet I cannot find or see a really quick and easy way of putting it up other than tying all the elastic cords from it to the krab of my hammock. Has anyone got any good ideas/instructions, or even better a few piccys that might help me in putting mine up. I have seen a few articles on the web saying that I should buy a load of mini krabs and attach them to the elastic cords, then hang it. Does anyone already do this or are there any better ideas out there? Thanks in advance. Sam
    • johanvandijk
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 15, 2009
        I nowadays use my JRB No Sniveler INSIDE the hammock and use the snugpack underquilt like my JRB underquilt.

        No pics, sorry, at the office before next meeting ;-(

        Grtz Johan

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sjedwardson" <sam.edwardson@...> wrote:

        > I bought the Snugpak underquilt/blanket recently and so far have had some very warm and comfortable experiences in it, however, as yet I cannot find or see a really quick and easy way of putting it up other than tying all the elastic cords from it to the krab of my hammock. Has anyone got any good ideas/instructions, or even better a few piccys that might help me in putting mine up. I have seen a few articles on the web saying that I should buy a load of mini krabs and attach them to the elastic cords, then hang it. Does anyone already do this or are there any better ideas out there? Thanks in advance. Sam

      • Tom Frazier
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 16, 2009
          Wow...something I haven't heard of yet! Where did you purchase the Snugpak? Lastly, what kind of insulation does it use? Artificial poly stuff or down?

          Tom

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 16, 2009
            Got the underblanket from DD Hammocks http://www.ddhammocks.com/products.php?cat=8 its really toasty and when I leant it to my daughter for her first hammock outing last weekend she ended up unzipping the sleeping bag as she was too hot! It really does its job well but I would like to mod it slightly (a bit like putting Krabs on the DD to make hanging quicker and easier) so that putting it up is more simple. At the moment i have 4 bits of elastic at each end and some sewn in tapes. Help me hammockcamping....your my only hope :-)

            lastly..The size is 2.15m by 1.5m (at the middle/ widest point) and the fill is synthetic. Thats all it says on the web site anyway.

            Sam

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Frazier" <wildewudu@...> wrote:

            > Wow...something I haven't heard of yet! Where did you purchase the Snugpak? Lastly, what kind of insulation does it use? Artificial poly stuff or down?
            >

            > Tom

          • Jerry Goller
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 16, 2009
              Notice how much the straps stretch when he sets in it....

              Jerry

              reviews and tests on the planet.

              leant it to my daughter for her first hammock outing last weekend she ended
              up unzipping the sleeping bag as she was too hot! It really does its job
              well but I would like to mod it slightly (a bit like putting Krabs on the DD
              to make hanging quicker and easier) so that putting it up is more simple.
              At the moment i have 4 bits of elastic at each end and some sewn in tapes.
              Help me hammockcamping....your my only hope :-)

              lastly..The size is 2.15m by 1.5m (at the middle/ widest point) and the fill
              is synthetic. Thats all it says on the web site anyway.

              Sam

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Frazier" <wildewudu@...> wrote:

              > Wow...something I haven't heard of yet! Where did you purchase the
              Snugpak? Lastly, what kind of insulation does it use? Artificial poly stuff
              or down?

              > Tom

              database 4515 (20091016) __________

              http://www.eset.com

              database 4515 (20091016) __________

              http://www.eset.com
            • Tom Frazier
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 16, 2009
                Thank you for the link! After reading about it briefly on here I scoured the internet for where to purchase it, but I only found references to it on hammockforums.net in the search engine and comments that it didn't come with instructions so the majority of the posts were on how to hang it! I'm going to check it out now!

                Tom

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 20, 2009
                  Stretching straps..... Scissors ;-)

                  Sorry for not being able to come up with some pics.

                  At the price of the DD / Snugpack underquilt I couldn't resist trying one
                  out. So far so good.

                  Nice and toastie, fiber fill (no down), but indeed too many straps, bungees
                  etc. so I had to modify it to the simplicity of a JRB underquilt.... So
                  Sam, it's relatively easy to modify and save your hammocking future ;-)
                  Grtz Johan
                  On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 7:43 PM, Jerry Goller <
                  jerrygoller@...> wrote:

                  > Notice how much the straps stretch when he sets in it....
                  >
                  > Jerry
                  >
                  > http://www.BackpackGearTest.org <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> : the
                  > most comprehensive interactive gear
                  > reviews and tests on the planet.

                  mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63
                  email: gonewalkabout2003@...

                  http://www.geocities.com/johanvandijk
                  http://calendar.yahoo.com/johanvandijk

                • sjedwardson
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 20, 2009
                    Thanks for the reply, what mods did you make to the underblanket? never heard of the JRB (will have to google it).

                    Cheers

                    Sam

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Johan van Dijk <gonewalkabout2003@...> wrote:

                    > Stretching straps..... Scissors ;-)
                    >
                    > Sorry for not being able to come up with some pics.
                    >
                    > At the price of the DD / Snugpack underquilt I couldn't resist trying one
                    > out. So far so good.
                    >
                    > Nice and toastie, fiber fill (no down), but indeed too many straps, bungees
                    > etc. so I had to modify it to the simplicity of a JRB underquilt.... So
                    > Sam, it's relatively easy to modify and save your hammocking future ;-)
                    > Grtz Johan
                    > On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 7:43 PM, Jerry Goller <

                  • Thomas Vickers
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 20, 2009
                    • sjedwardson
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 20, 2009
                        hmmmm hammock slightly different to the DD but i can see how tying the elastic just to the end of the hammock would do the trick. Cant help but wonder if cord instead of elastic would have been better. Or am i missing something?

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Vickers <redroach@...> wrote:

                        > http://www.jacksrbetter.com/

                      • Tom Frazier
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 20, 2009
                          I got the JRB (Jack's R Better) "Hammock Hut" and, though expensive, it's fantastic! Helps keep me warmer in winter by completely preventing the wind from sapping my built up heat plus, the best part, it can be set up for complete privacy, something not possible with any other tarp that I'm aware of. There was one feller who even did a Hammock Hut mod. so he could have a lightweight foldable stove (like the kind sold by Titanium Goat and Kifaru), complete with smoke stack! JRB has some good products in good colors (I've always hated the bright oranges and yellows of typical market camping gear)!

                          Tom