RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: assist in hanging higher on the tree

  • Jerry Goller
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
      They are nylon. Trust me, they stretch. They can stretch up to 25% of their
      original length. Tom (Hennessey) is well aware of this. The reason he went
      to Dyneema cord is over stretch and strength.

      Jerry

      reviews and tests on the planet.

      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
        Yup, looked them up...they were 12 foot lengths of nylon cord. Stretched like rubber-man on "the rack".

        Tom

        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
          Hi, Chris-

          I doubt there is a MAHHA website. Another hammock camper, inspired by Ed's SE hammocker gathering, threw out invitations and the loose association was born. They have met several times, maybe each spring and fall for two to four years. It is a bit of a trip for me, so I've not made many. The confusion as to where, is that Crampton Gap is within Maryland's Gathland State Park. So, if you are finding the meeting place from the AT, look for Crampton Gap. If you are driving, look up Gathland State Park. Either head for the shelter and water source from the Trail, or park at the big lot and head up the blue-blazed trail towards the AT to find the group. If you make plans ahead, someone might meet you in the lot to help you find your way, or at least let you know if anyone plans to put out extra flagging tape to help mark it.

          Don't know if all the plans will be the same, but in the past, the organizer has invited some gear manufacturers to come or donate items for a raffle, some DIY demos have been presented, and Saturday night thre was a group cookout. Everyone chipped in to help pay for the food and defray costs of the shelter rental, when someone reserved it. No promises as to whether or not anyone has done the legwork for this event. I've done it for other gatherings, and know it can be very time consuming. I have also seen a sort of a "yard sale" at which people sold off used gear. Again, I don't know if plans include this.

          Regards,

          Rosaleen

          MAHHA
          Posted by: "Chris Lutz" chrislutz25@... chrislutz25
          Date: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:54 am ((PDT))

          I'd like to know more about this trip. Is there another website or something for MAHHA. I did a quick search and the forums said it was Crampton park not Gathland. Maybe last year though not current. Can someone help me out? Would love to attend. Thanks.

          Chris Lutz
          Sign up for online personal training
          www.spartafitnesstraining.com

        • Arye P. R.
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
            Stretch is relative to multiple factors - the material, the weave, the length under load, and the strength (load capacity) of the rope/strap being used. All these factors determine the amount of stretch a user will get. Also how a material is treated by the manufacturer in manufacturing and how a material is treated by the end user in use.

            "poly" says nothing Used here it is a consumer abbreviation for a group of materials plastics rope fabric... Be specific, polyester or polypropylene. All have materials by end use manufacturer have different characteristics - abrasion, stretch, chemical, UV, resistance to name a few.

            SapereAude,

            Arye P. Rubenstein

            ________________________________

            http://www.Backpack GearTest. org : the most comprehensive interactive gear

            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
              True. Polypropylene is what I use most.

              Jerry

              reviews and tests on the planet.

              The further apart the trees are, the higher you have to get the suspension
              on the trees. I use the point of a trekking pole to lift and raise the
              straps on the trunk of the tree. An extensible trekking pole is useful as a
              porch strut for the tarp as well. The straps are generally loose enough on
              the trunk when there is no weight in the hammock. I have also used trees
              with a lot of small branches - put the tip of the pole in the biner or loop
              and shove it through high branches.

              Lori

              --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, "David" <delliott78@ ...> wrote:

              > I have recently revisited Dave Womble's excellent files on the forces
              > on
              hammock suspensions and ridgelines here:

              > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/hammockcam ping/files/ Youngblood%
              > 27s/
              >
              > I like to hang my dog's hammock under mine, so I tighten the support
              ropes
              to raise my hammock and make room for his. This greatly increases the forces
              on the support ropes and structural ridgeline. (Both hammocks hang from the
              same points at the ends of the ridgeline.) Add in the extra 70 lb.
              that the dog weighs for more force. Then consider the occasional need to use
              trees that are farther apart. My 7/64" amsteel support ropes are cut to
              handle tree-to-tree separations of up to 25 ft., but I've only been able to
[...]

              database 4515 (20091016) __________

              http://www.eset.com
            • paulkaercher
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
              • Arye P. R.
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
                  and Polypropylene is the almost the worst to use in the yard and exposed to SUN and weather. It will fail much faster than nylon or polyester given the same factors. Amsteel, Dacron, Dyneema, Mylar, KRYPTON-D etc. are all BRANDS and blends of polyester and/or UHMPE (UHMWPE) Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene Ropes which are more expensive but give the best performance for hammocking over time. A polyester product is the way to go for us.

                  for more types of rope/line than you will ever need see the following sites.
                  They also have good charts spelling out strength and stretch factore of most ropes
                  <http://www.cbknot.com/CommercialFishing.htm>
                  <http://www.cbknot.com/recreationalmarine.htm>

                  SapereAude,

                  Arye P. Rubenstein

                  ________________________________

                  ____________ _________ _________ __

                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
                    True, but none of those come in 2" webbing, as far as I know. Considering
                    that I have some straps that are 3 or 4 years old, and it would cost me
                    about $10 a year, max, to replace them every year, I don't think I'll bother
                    looking for any of those in 2" webbing..... ;o) Polypro is inexpensive,
                    light, hydrophobic, and doesn't stretch.

                    I'm not really concerned about over time, just this season.

                    Worrying about long lasting ropes reminded me of one time when I was living
                    on South Padre Island, TX. Backpacking is pretty much unheard of in South
                    Texas. I was at the dumpster at my apartment. I was tossing about $2,000.00
                    worth of packs away. There was nothing wrong with them. They were in great
                    shape. But they had all outlived their usefulness to me. They were too heavy
                    and/or not as comfortable as more modern packs. There was no one to give
                    them to. All I could think of as I tossed those packs in the dumpster was
                    all that weight in over-engineering and money I had wasted on those packs.
                    They were replaced with better, lighter packs long before they wore out.

                    When Wayne Gregory was designing the Z-Pack he called me for advice on light
                    weight packs. I kiddingly told him that the perfect long distance pack for,
                    say the AT, would be one that as I raised my arms in victory on Katadyn
                    would fall apart. That way I'd know I hadn't carried one single ounce of
                    pack I didn't need for those 2100 miles.

                    I don't plan on leaving my gear for posterity. As long as it lasts one
                    season, and does exactly what I want it to do, I'm happy. I can't ever
                    remember actually wearing a piece of backpacking gear out in 55+ years of
                    backpacking.

                    database 4516 (20091016) __________

                    http://www.eset.com