Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: assist in hanging higher on the tree

  • ratsmouth@aol.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
      Mine's a HH - the big ol' honkin' one. I use Tree Huggers and the cord
      that came with the hammock. The first time I put it up, the trees were
      pretty close together. I had maybe a foot of cord extending out from
      the tree on each end of the hammock. No problem, although it still
      rode fairly low. I tied it off about 6' up the trees. It worked for
      the couple of nights I was there, and it didn't stretch or sag once it
      was up. I really don't think it's a question of stretching cords, but
      of distance between trees.

      The next time I set up the hammock, the trees were probably 20'-25'
      apart. Getting the Tree Huggers high enough was a struggle, and there
      was just too much "give", so I still ended up with my butt on the
      ground when I got into it.

      Also, the HH has quite a bit of natural "give" to it so you can lie
      flatter once you're inside. I'm going to figure this out because I
      loved the first couple of nights I slept in my hammock, and I really
      would like to make this my first choice in shelters.

      Getting to MD is not a possibility. Getting ANYWHERE right now is not
      a possibility. But thanks for the offer of hands-on help.

      BTW, y'all.....Ratty's a girl.

      Ratty
    • Jerry Goller
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
        Most of my hammocks are HH. The one I'm working with now is the new double
        bottomed one. I don't remember the name. The tree huggers from Hennessey are
        made of nylon. They not only will stretch, and stretch even more when wet,
        but they also don't grab slick trees, like the aspens we have here, all that
        well. Most of the time I carry 10' straps but I also have 20' straps for
        when I go to northern Oregon or Washington state.

        If you are using a lashing similar to the one HH shows I've found it best to
        lay in the hammock for a minute then get out and retighten it. That is one
        of the reasons I went to the Figure 9... I hate knots and I'm not all that
        big of a fan of lashing.

        Jerry

        reviews and tests on the planet.

        database 4512 (20091015) __________

        http://www.eset.com

        database 4512 (20091015) __________

        http://www.eset.com

        database 4512 (20091015) __________

        http://www.eset.com
      • ratsmouth@aol.com
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
          I don't think the Tree Huggers stretched at all. They were wrapped
          once around the trees, with very little left over to tie to. I'll just
          have to look for trees that are closer together.
        • Jerry Goller
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
            They are nylon. Trust me, they stretch. They can stretch up to 25% of their
            original length. Tom (Hennessey) is well aware of this. The reason he went
            to Dyneema cord is over stretch and strength.

            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
              Yup, looked them up...they were 12 foot lengths of nylon cord. Stretched like rubber-man on "the rack".

              Tom

              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
                Hi, Chris-

                I doubt there is a MAHHA website. Another hammock camper, inspired by Ed's SE hammocker gathering, threw out invitations and the loose association was born. They have met several times, maybe each spring and fall for two to four years. It is a bit of a trip for me, so I've not made many. The confusion as to where, is that Crampton Gap is within Maryland's Gathland State Park. So, if you are finding the meeting place from the AT, look for Crampton Gap. If you are driving, look up Gathland State Park. Either head for the shelter and water source from the Trail, or park at the big lot and head up the blue-blazed trail towards the AT to find the group. If you make plans ahead, someone might meet you in the lot to help you find your way, or at least let you know if anyone plans to put out extra flagging tape to help mark it.

                Don't know if all the plans will be the same, but in the past, the organizer has invited some gear manufacturers to come or donate items for a raffle, some DIY demos have been presented, and Saturday night thre was a group cookout. Everyone chipped in to help pay for the food and defray costs of the shelter rental, when someone reserved it. No promises as to whether or not anyone has done the legwork for this event. I've done it for other gatherings, and know it can be very time consuming. I have also seen a sort of a "yard sale" at which people sold off used gear. Again, I don't know if plans include this.

                Regards,

                Rosaleen

                MAHHA
                Posted by: "Chris Lutz" chrislutz25@... chrislutz25
                Date: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:54 am ((PDT))

                I'd like to know more about this trip. Is there another website or something for MAHHA. I did a quick search and the forums said it was Crampton park not Gathland. Maybe last year though not current. Can someone help me out? Would love to attend. Thanks.

                Chris Lutz
                Sign up for online personal training
                www.spartafitnesstraining.com

              • Arye P. R.
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
                  Stretch is relative to multiple factors - the material, the weave, the length under load, and the strength (load capacity) of the rope/strap being used. All these factors determine the amount of stretch a user will get. Also how a material is treated by the manufacturer in manufacturing and how a material is treated by the end user in use.

                  "poly" says nothing Used here it is a consumer abbreviation for a group of materials plastics rope fabric... Be specific, polyester or polypropylene. All have materials by end use manufacturer have different characteristics - abrasion, stretch, chemical, UV, resistance to name a few.

                  SapereAude,

                  Arye P. Rubenstein

                  ________________________________

                  http://www.Backpack GearTest. org : the most comprehensive interactive gear

                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
                    True. Polypropylene is what I use most.

                    Jerry

                    reviews and tests on the planet.

                    The further apart the trees are, the higher you have to get the suspension
                    on the trees. I use the point of a trekking pole to lift and raise the
                    straps on the trunk of the tree. An extensible trekking pole is useful as a
                    porch strut for the tarp as well. The straps are generally loose enough on
                    the trunk when there is no weight in the hammock. I have also used trees
                    with a lot of small branches - put the tip of the pole in the biner or loop
                    and shove it through high branches.

                    Lori

                    --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, "David" <delliott78@ ...> wrote:

                    > I have recently revisited Dave Womble's excellent files on the forces
                    > on
                    hammock suspensions and ridgelines here:

                    > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/hammockcam ping/files/ Youngblood%
                    > 27s/
                    >
                    > I like to hang my dog's hammock under mine, so I tighten the support
                    ropes
                    to raise my hammock and make room for his. This greatly increases the forces
                    on the support ropes and structural ridgeline. (Both hammocks hang from the
                    same points at the ends of the ridgeline.) Add in the extra 70 lb.
                    that the dog weighs for more force. Then consider the occasional need to use
                    trees that are farther apart. My 7/64" amsteel support ropes are cut to
                    handle tree-to-tree separations of up to 25 ft., but I've only been able to
[...]

                    database 4515 (20091016) __________

                    http://www.eset.com
                  • paulkaercher
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
                    • Arye P. R.
                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
                        and Polypropylene is the almost the worst to use in the yard and exposed to SUN and weather. It will fail much faster than nylon or polyester given the same factors. Amsteel, Dacron, Dyneema, Mylar, KRYPTON-D etc. are all BRANDS and blends of polyester and/or UHMPE (UHMWPE) Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene Ropes which are more expensive but give the best performance for hammocking over time. A polyester product is the way to go for us.

                        for more types of rope/line than you will ever need see the following sites.
                        They also have good charts spelling out strength and stretch factore of most ropes
                        <http://www.cbknot.com/CommercialFishing.htm>
                        <http://www.cbknot.com/recreationalmarine.htm>

                        SapereAude,

                        Arye P. Rubenstein

                        ________________________________

                        ____________ _________ _________ __

                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
                          True, but none of those come in 2" webbing, as far as I know. Considering
                          that I have some straps that are 3 or 4 years old, and it would cost me
                          about $10 a year, max, to replace them every year, I don't think I'll bother
                          looking for any of those in 2" webbing..... ;o) Polypro is inexpensive,
                          light, hydrophobic, and doesn't stretch.

                          I'm not really concerned about over time, just this season.

                          Worrying about long lasting ropes reminded me of one time when I was living
                          on South Padre Island, TX. Backpacking is pretty much unheard of in South
                          Texas. I was at the dumpster at my apartment. I was tossing about $2,000.00
                          worth of packs away. There was nothing wrong with them. They were in great
                          shape. But they had all outlived their usefulness to me. They were too heavy
                          and/or not as comfortable as more modern packs. There was no one to give
                          them to. All I could think of as I tossed those packs in the dumpster was
                          all that weight in over-engineering and money I had wasted on those packs.
                          They were replaced with better, lighter packs long before they wore out.

                          When Wayne Gregory was designing the Z-Pack he called me for advice on light
                          weight packs. I kiddingly told him that the perfect long distance pack for,
                          say the AT, would be one that as I raised my arms in victory on Katadyn
                          would fall apart. That way I'd know I hadn't carried one single ounce of
                          pack I didn't need for those 2100 miles.

                          I don't plan on leaving my gear for posterity. As long as it lasts one
                          season, and does exactly what I want it to do, I'm happy. I can't ever
                          remember actually wearing a piece of backpacking gear out in 55+ years of
                          backpacking.

                          database 4516 (20091016) __________

                          http://www.eset.com