[Hammock Camping] Re: assist in hanging higher on the tree

  • David
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Goller" <jerrygoller@...> wrote:

      > I have to admit, I'm mildly mystified by this thread. What straps and cord
      > material are you all using? I'm not getting *that* much sag on my hammock
      > when I get in it.
      >
      > Jerry

      Jerry,
      Ratty has a different problem from mine. I suspect he's using rope or straps that stretch. I use 7/64" amsteel with a structural ridgeline and dacron straps. In cold weather I need to hang my hammock higher than usual to leave room for my dog's insulated hammock underneath because he has no winter coat to keep him warm. Do you know how many times a dog stands up and turns around during the night? He bumps into my butt. (I think it bothers him more than it does me.) Life was simpler with my previous pack-dog; she would happily curl up on snowy ground and bury her nose in her tail.
      David
    • Jerry Goller
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
        Ah, that is different. My cords are Dyneema, my straps are 2" poly strap,
        and I use modified large Nite Ize Figure Nines on my hammocks.

        Jerry

        reviews and tests on the planet.

        > I have to admit, I'm mildly mystified by this thread. What straps and
        > cord material are you all using? I'm not getting *that* much sag on my
        > hammock when I get in it.
        >
        > Jerry

        Jerry,
        Ratty has a different problem from mine. I suspect he's using rope or straps
        that stretch. I use 7/64" amsteel with a structural ridgeline and dacron
        straps. In cold weather I need to hang my hammock higher than usual to leave
        room for my dog's insulated hammock underneath because he has no winter coat
        to keep him warm. Do you know how many times a dog stands up and turns
        around during the night? He bumps into my butt. (I think it bothers him more
        than it does me.) Life was simpler with my previous pack-dog; she would
        happily curl up on snowy ground and bury her nose in her tail.
        David

        database 4511 (20091015) __________

        http://www.eset.com

        database 4511 (20091015) __________

        http://www.eset.com
      • Tom Frazier
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
          I use the 1" wide climbing straps (got mine at REI) along with a cinch-buckle for the straps and I sewed a loop at the end of the cord and attached a climbing-rated carabiner for a quick-connect/quick-release set up. I don't get any stretch either. I did when I used the old poly cords that came with my older claytor hammock...those stretched like undersized socks on a giant!

          Tom

          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
            They must have been nylon, then. Poly doesn't, for all practical purposes,
            stretch.

            Jerry

            reviews and tests on the planet.

            The further apart the trees are, the higher you have to get the suspension
            on the trees. I use the point of a trekking pole to lift and raise the
            straps on the trunk of the tree. An extensible trekking pole is useful as
            porch strut for the tarp as well. The straps are generally loose enough on
            the trunk when there is no weight in the hammock. I have also used trees
            with a lot of small branches - put the tip of the pole in the biner or
            loop
            and shove it through high branches.

            Lori

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David" <delliott78@...> wrote:

            > I have recently revisited Dave Womble's excellent files on the forces on
            hammock suspensions and ridgelines here:

            > I like to hang my dog's hammock under mine, so I tighten the support
            ropes
            to raise my hammock and make room for his. This greatly increases the
            forces on the support ropes and structural ridgeline. (Both hammocks hang
            from the same points at the ends of the ridgeline.) Add in the extra 70
            lb.
            that the dog weighs for more force. Then consider the occasional need to
            use trees that are farther apart. My 7/64" amsteel support ropes are cut
            handle tree-to-tree separations of up to 25 ft., but I've only been able
            use that use that a couple of times, and the tension is scary. (I usually
            try to do this across a hollow, so I have the benefit of extra height,
            hence
            more sag. My question is this: has anyone devised a method of attaching
            tree huggers higher, possibly using hiking poles or forked sticks? I'd
            like
            to be able to easily place my tree huggers about two or three feet higher
            than I can reach (and retrieve them easily the next morning). I use a
            hammock because about 25 years ago I lost my ability to sleep soundly on
            roots and rocks. Somewhere along the way my enthusiasm for shinnying up
            trees with a strap in my mouth went away, too.

            signature
            database 4510 (20091015) __________

            http://www.eset.com

            signature
            database 4510 (20091015) __________

            http://www.eset.com

            signature
            database 4510 (20091015) __________

            http://www.eset.com

            database 4511 (20091015) __________

            http://www.eset.com

            database 4511 (20091015) __________

            http://www.eset.com
          • ratsmouth@aol.com
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
              Mine's a HH - the big ol' honkin' one. I use Tree Huggers and the cord
              that came with the hammock. The first time I put it up, the trees were
              pretty close together. I had maybe a foot of cord extending out from
              the tree on each end of the hammock. No problem, although it still
              rode fairly low. I tied it off about 6' up the trees. It worked for
              the couple of nights I was there, and it didn't stretch or sag once it
              was up. I really don't think it's a question of stretching cords, but
              of distance between trees.

              The next time I set up the hammock, the trees were probably 20'-25'
              apart. Getting the Tree Huggers high enough was a struggle, and there
              was just too much "give", so I still ended up with my butt on the
              ground when I got into it.

              Also, the HH has quite a bit of natural "give" to it so you can lie
              flatter once you're inside. I'm going to figure this out because I
              loved the first couple of nights I slept in my hammock, and I really
              would like to make this my first choice in shelters.

              Getting to MD is not a possibility. Getting ANYWHERE right now is not
              a possibility. But thanks for the offer of hands-on help.

              BTW, y'all.....Ratty's a girl.

              Ratty
            • Jerry Goller
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                Most of my hammocks are HH. The one I'm working with now is the new double
                bottomed one. I don't remember the name. The tree huggers from Hennessey are
                made of nylon. They not only will stretch, and stretch even more when wet,
                but they also don't grab slick trees, like the aspens we have here, all that
                well. Most of the time I carry 10' straps but I also have 20' straps for
                when I go to northern Oregon or Washington state.

                If you are using a lashing similar to the one HH shows I've found it best to
                lay in the hammock for a minute then get out and retighten it. That is one
                of the reasons I went to the Figure 9... I hate knots and I'm not all that
                big of a fan of lashing.

                database 4512 (20091015) __________

                http://www.eset.com

                database 4512 (20091015) __________

                http://www.eset.com

                database 4512 (20091015) __________

                http://www.eset.com
              • ratsmouth@aol.com
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                  I don't think the Tree Huggers stretched at all. They were wrapped
                  once around the trees, with very little left over to tie to. I'll just
                  have to look for trees that are closer together.
                • Jerry Goller
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                    They are nylon. Trust me, they stretch. They can stretch up to 25% of their
                    original length. Tom (Hennessey) is well aware of this. The reason he went
                    to Dyneema cord is over stretch and strength.

                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                      Yup, looked them up...they were 12 foot lengths of nylon cord. Stretched like rubber-man on "the rack".

                      Tom

                      The further apart the trees are, the higher you have to get the suspension
                      on the trees. I use the point of a trekking pole to lift and raise the
                      straps on the trunk of the tree. An extensible trekking pole is useful as
                      porch strut for the tarp as well. The straps are generally loose enough on
                      the trunk when there is no weight in the hammock. I have also used trees
                      with a lot of small branches - put the tip of the pole in the biner or
                      loop
                      and shove it through high branches.

                      Lori

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David" <delliott78@...> wrote:

                      > I have recently revisited Dave Womble's excellent files on the forces on
                      hammock suspensions and ridgelines here:

                      > I like to hang my dog's hammock under mine, so I tighten the support
                      ropes
                      to raise my hammock and make room for his. This greatly increases the
                      forces on the support ropes and structural ridgeline. (Both hammocks hang
                      from the same points at the ends of the ridgeline.) Add in the extra 70
                      lb.
                      that the dog weighs for more force. Then consider the occasional need to
                      use trees that are farther apart. My 7/64" amsteel support ropes are cut
                      handle tree-to-tree separations of up to 25 ft., but I've only been able
                      use that use that a couple of times, and the tension is scary. (I usually
                      try to do this across a hollow, so I have the benefit of extra height,
                      hence
                      more sag. My question is this: has anyone devised a method of attaching
                      tree huggers higher, possibly using hiking poles or forked sticks? I'd
                      like
                      to be able to easily place my tree huggers about two or three feet higher
                      than I can reach (and retrieve them easily the next morning). I use a
                      hammock because about 25 years ago I lost my ability to sleep soundly on
                      roots and rocks. Somewhere along the way my enthusiasm for shinnying up
                      trees with a strap in my mouth went away, too.

                      signature
                      database 4510 (20091015) __________

                      http://www.eset.com

                      signature
                      database 4510 (20091015) __________

                      http://www.eset.com

                      signature
                      database 4510 (20091015) __________

                      http://www.eset.com

                      database 4511 (20091015) __________

                      http://www.eset.com

                      database 4511 (20091015) __________

                      http://www.eset.com

                    • Rosaleen Sullivan
                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
                        Hi, Chris-

                        I doubt there is a MAHHA website. Another hammock camper, inspired by Ed's SE hammocker gathering, threw out invitations and the loose association was born. They have met several times, maybe each spring and fall for two to four years. It is a bit of a trip for me, so I've not made many. The confusion as to where, is that Crampton Gap is within Maryland's Gathland State Park. So, if you are finding the meeting place from the AT, look for Crampton Gap. If you are driving, look up Gathland State Park. Either head for the shelter and water source from the Trail, or park at the big lot and head up the blue-blazed trail towards the AT to find the group. If you make plans ahead, someone might meet you in the lot to help you find your way, or at least let you know if anyone plans to put out extra flagging tape to help mark it.

                        Don't know if all the plans will be the same, but in the past, the organizer has invited some gear manufacturers to come or donate items for a raffle, some DIY demos have been presented, and Saturday night thre was a group cookout. Everyone chipped in to help pay for the food and defray costs of the shelter rental, when someone reserved it. No promises as to whether or not anyone has done the legwork for this event. I've done it for other gatherings, and know it can be very time consuming. I have also seen a sort of a "yard sale" at which people sold off used gear. Again, I don't know if plans include this.

                        Regards,

                        Rosaleen

                        MAHHA
                        Posted by: "Chris Lutz" chrislutz25@... chrislutz25
                        Date: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:54 am ((PDT))

                        I'd like to know more about this trip. Is there another website or something for MAHHA. I did a quick search and the forums said it was Crampton park not Gathland. Maybe last year though not current. Can someone help me out? Would love to attend. Thanks.

                        Chris Lutz
                        Sign up for online personal training
                        www.spartafitnesstraining.com

                      • Arye P. R.
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
                          Stretch is relative to multiple factors - the material, the weave, the length under load, and the strength (load capacity) of the rope/strap being used. All these factors determine the amount of stretch a user will get. Also how a material is treated by the manufacturer in manufacturing and how a material is treated by the end user in use.

                          "poly" says nothing Used here it is a consumer abbreviation for a group of materials plastics rope fabric... Be specific, polyester or polypropylene. All have materials by end use manufacturer have different characteristics - abrasion, stretch, chemical, UV, resistance to name a few.

                          SapereAude,

                          Arye P. Rubenstein

                          ________________________________

                          http://www.Backpack GearTest. org : the most comprehensive interactive gear

                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
                            True. Polypropylene is what I use most.

                            Jerry

                            reviews and tests on the planet.

                            The further apart the trees are, the higher you have to get the suspension
                            on the trees. I use the point of a trekking pole to lift and raise the
                            straps on the trunk of the tree. An extensible trekking pole is useful as a
                            porch strut for the tarp as well. The straps are generally loose enough on
                            the trunk when there is no weight in the hammock. I have also used trees
                            with a lot of small branches - put the tip of the pole in the biner or loop
                            and shove it through high branches.

                            Lori

                            --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, "David" <delliott78@ ...> wrote:

                            > I have recently revisited Dave Womble's excellent files on the forces
                            > on
                            hammock suspensions and ridgelines here:

                            > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/hammockcam ping/files/ Youngblood%
                            > 27s/
                            >
                            > I like to hang my dog's hammock under mine, so I tighten the support
                            ropes
                            to raise my hammock and make room for his. This greatly increases the forces
                            on the support ropes and structural ridgeline. (Both hammocks hang from the
                            same points at the ends of the ridgeline.) Add in the extra 70 lb.
                            that the dog weighs for more force. Then consider the occasional need to use
                            trees that are farther apart. My 7/64" amsteel support ropes are cut to
                            handle tree-to-tree separations of up to 25 ft., but I've only been able to
                            use that use that a couple of times, and the tension is scary. (I usually
                            try to do this across a hollow, so I have the benefit of extra height, hence
                            more sag. My question is this: has anyone devised a method of attaching tree
                            huggers higher, possibly using hiking poles or forked sticks? I'd like to be
                            able to easily place my tree huggers about two or three feet higher than I
                            can reach (and retrieve them easily the next morning). I use a hammock
                            because about 25 years ago I lost my ability to sleep soundly on roots and
                            rocks. Somewhere along the way my enthusiasm for shinnying up trees with a
                            strap in my mouth went away, too.

                            database 4510 (20091015) __________

                            http://www.eset. com

                            database 4510 (20091015) __________

                            http://www.eset. com

                            database 4510 (20091015) __________

                            http://www.eset. com

                            database 4511 (20091015) __________

                            http://www.eset. com

                            database 4511 (20091015) __________

                            http://www.eset. com

                            database 4515 (20091016) __________

                            http://www.eset.com
                          • paulkaercher
                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
                            • Arye P. R.
                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
                                and Polypropylene is the almost the worst to use in the yard and exposed to SUN and weather. It will fail much faster than nylon or polyester given the same factors. Amsteel, Dacron, Dyneema, Mylar, KRYPTON-D etc. are all BRANDS and blends of polyester and/or UHMPE (UHMWPE) Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene Ropes which are more expensive but give the best performance for hammocking over time. A polyester product is the way to go for us.

                                for more types of rope/line than you will ever need see the following sites.
                                They also have good charts spelling out strength and stretch factore of most ropes
                                <http://www.cbknot.com/CommercialFishing.htm>
                                <http://www.cbknot.com/recreationalmarine.htm>

                                SapereAude,

                                Arye P. Rubenstein

                                ________________________________

                                ____________ _________ _________ __

                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
                                  True, but none of those come in 2" webbing, as far as I know. Considering
                                  that I have some straps that are 3 or 4 years old, and it would cost me
                                  about $10 a year, max, to replace them every year, I don't think I'll bother
                                  looking for any of those in 2" webbing..... ;o) Polypro is inexpensive,
                                  light, hydrophobic, and doesn't stretch.

                                  I'm not really concerned about over time, just this season.

                                  Worrying about long lasting ropes reminded me of one time when I was living
                                  on South Padre Island, TX. Backpacking is pretty much unheard of in South
                                  Texas. I was at the dumpster at my apartment. I was tossing about $2,000.00
                                  worth of packs away. There was nothing wrong with them. They were in great
                                  shape. But they had all outlived their usefulness to me. They were too heavy
                                  and/or not as comfortable as more modern packs. There was no one to give
                                  them to. All I could think of as I tossed those packs in the dumpster was
                                  all that weight in over-engineering and money I had wasted on those packs.
                                  They were replaced with better, lighter packs long before they wore out.

                                  When Wayne Gregory was designing the Z-Pack he called me for advice on light
                                  weight packs. I kiddingly told him that the perfect long distance pack for,
                                  say the AT, would be one that as I raised my arms in victory on Katadyn
                                  would fall apart. That way I'd know I hadn't carried one single ounce of
                                  pack I didn't need for those 2100 miles.

                                  I don't plan on leaving my gear for posterity. As long as it lasts one
                                  season, and does exactly what I want it to do, I'm happy. I can't ever
                                  remember actually wearing a piece of backpacking gear out in 55+ years of
                                  backpacking.

                                  database 4516 (20091016) __________

                                  http://www.eset.com