TahoeAreaLetHammocks?

  • canoetrip_2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2003
      Hi all,
      I haven't posted in awhile. My political job ends in January and I
      have been grinding out resumes and cover letters. I am about to hop
      out to Reno, NV for a conference, then I am stealing an ENTIRE WEEK
      to myself for mental rehab. I am leaving Tuesday for the conference,
      which ends Friday. Then I have a rental car and am heading west,
      will be going back to Reno the following Thursday to fly back home.

      I am not sure where I am going to camp and am looking for
      suggetions. Tahoe area? I have had zero time to plan, but my camping
      gear is in a constant state of readiness. All I have to do is add
      food and decide where I am going. I am bringing my Hennessy. I
      remember reading somewhere that Tom Hennessy really got angry at
      authorities at some state park in CA because they would not allow
      him to set up his hammock. Do any of you know anything about CA
      having a policy prohibiting hammocks?

      I would like to bring my SW Airweight 38, but I have a picture of a
      headline like this:
      "Aide to Louisiana Governor Arrested by California Authorities for
      Illegal Concealed Weapon in Backpack, Hauled Off to Jail,
      Screaming: 'It doesn't COUNT if its in a backpack!!'"

      So the gun stays here. Pepper spray goes, though.

      I am going alone, which worries my mother, but not me. I have done
      so before, but it has either been in places I know very well, like
      the Grand Canyon, or places I have spent a long time researching,
      like the Ozark Highlands Trail.

      I would love feedback. I will have computer access until next Friday
      mid-day.

      Thanks! Firefly (Marsanne) in Baton Rouge
    • o123david
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 6, 2003
        >...Reno, NV...I am bringing my Hennessy. I remember reading
        >somewhere that Tom Hennessy really got angry at authorities at some
        >state park in CA because they would not allow him to set up his
        >hammock.

        Firefly,
        Tom Hennessy had a problem at a California state park a day's hike
        north of the Mexican border. Elsewhere in the state, at least outside
        of small highly-regulated state parks, you are unlikely to have a
        problem using your hammock. At least I haven't.

        >So the gun stays here. Pepper spray goes, though.

        Bears are a problem in and near Sequoia-Kings Canyon and Yosemite
        national parks. They take your food when you don't have it with you,
        such as at night. It isn't safe to have it next to you when you are
        sleeping. In some areas in and near these two parks you are required
        to store your food in a cannister which can be rented for a nominal
        sum.
        Bears are also a limited problem in the mountains just north of Los
        Angeles.
        Elsewhere, such as the Tahoe area, they are not a problem.
        Since it is a busy area I would hang my food just to be safe. The
        bottom of the bag at least 11' up.

        The black bears (of various colors) will not attack you.
        If a bear is trying to get your food then make noise or throw rocks
        at the bear. It will probably just run away. (But don't overdo it.
        Some scouts once followed these instructions from the rangers and
        stoned a bear to death in Yosemite.)
        The only conceivable problem you could have is if you try to take
        your food back once a bear has it.
        Pepper spray is NOT needed.

        >I would love feedback.

        A good place for advice is the PCT-L mail list at
        <www.backcountry.net>. --David
      • canoetrip_2000
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 7, 2003
          David,
          The pepper spray is in case I encounter hostile humans. More worried
          about them than bears. I am in South La, where this maniac serial
          killer was running around murdering women. They now have a DNA-
          linked suspect in custody, but women were arming themselves with
          pepper spray. I bought them for the student workers in my office,
          etc. I still have about 5 bottles stashed in various places. Never
          had to use them, but that is what the state police I work around
          recommended. Marsanne