Re: assist in hanging higher on the tree

  • Rosaleen Sullivan
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
      Sorry about the "send" with probably a whole digest. I don't know what happened. Poltergeists, or maybe not enough cofee?

      So, Ratty, we need to get together so I can see what is going on. We have too much family stuff happening for me to get on the trail right now, EXCEPT for a quick trip to the fall MAHHA next month. If you can make it to a gathering of a bunch of hammock hangers at Gathland State Park in MD, a group will hook up the weekend of Nov. 6.

      How large is your hammock? I'm remembering Shane Steincamp's admonition that Tom Hennessy's instructions have the hammock too low. Well, for Shane's 5'7" or so, he does need to hang his hammock higher. He was using an Explorer. That hammock is longer and deeper. His shoulder- or eye-level will be different from a taller person's from the start, then add the deeper hammock and a shift in placement becomes an obvious need.

      If you start off with an appropriate height, but end up on the ground overnight, the Treehuggers or knots could be slipping. We are too far apart for a day trip meeting, but might work out something longer. It is too bad winter is upon us and I'm so tied up. Send me a PM, if you like, so we can talk more.

      Regards,

      Rosaleen

      Re: assist in hanging higher on the tree
      Posted by: "ratsmouth@..." ratsmouth@... holliscbarton
      Date: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:03 pm ((PDT))

      I'd be interested in seeing answers to this question as well. Getting
      enough "altitude" seems to be my main problem when it comes to hanging
      my hammock. I'm 5'8" tall and have a tough time getting the tree
      huggers high enough on the tree to get my butt off the ground.

      Ratty

    • lpon2000
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
        The further apart the trees are, the higher you have to get the suspension on the trees. I use the point of a trekking pole to lift and raise the straps on the trunk of the tree. An extensible trekking pole is useful as a porch strut for the tarp as well. The straps are generally loose enough on the trunk when there is no weight in the hammock. I have also used trees with a lot of small branches - put the tip of the pole in the biner or loop and shove it through high branches.

        Lori

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David" <delliott78@...> wrote:

        > I have recently revisited Dave Womble's excellent files on the forces on hammock suspensions and ridgelines here:

        > I like to hang my dog's hammock under mine, so I tighten the support ropes to raise my hammock and make room for his. This greatly increases the forces on the support ropes and structural ridgeline. (Both hammocks hang from the same points at the ends of the ridgeline.) Add in the extra 70 lb. that the dog weighs for more force. Then consider the occasional need to use trees that are farther apart. My 7/64" amsteel support ropes are cut to handle tree-to-tree separations of up to 25 ft., but I've only been able to use that use that a couple of times, and the tension is scary. (I usually try to do this across a hollow, so I have the benefit of extra height, hence more sag. My question is this: has anyone devised a method of attaching tree huggers higher, possibly using hiking poles or forked sticks? I'd like to be able to easily place my tree huggers about two or three feet higher than I can reach (and retrieve them easily the next morning). I use a hammock because about 25 years ago I lost my ability to sleep soundly on roots and rocks. Somewhere along the way my enthusiasm for shinnying up trees with a strap in my mouth went away, too.

      • Jerry Goller
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
          I have to admit, I'm mildly mystified by this thread. What straps and cord
          material are you all using? I'm not getting *that* much sag on my hammock
          when I get in it.

          Jerry

          reviews and tests on the planet.

          The further apart the trees are, the higher you have to get the suspension
          on the trees. I use the point of a trekking pole to lift and raise the
          straps on the trunk of the tree. An extensible trekking pole is useful as a
          porch strut for the tarp as well. The straps are generally loose enough on
          the trunk when there is no weight in the hammock. I have also used trees
          with a lot of small branches - put the tip of the pole in the biner or loop
          and shove it through high branches.

          Lori

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David" <delliott78@...> wrote:

          > I have recently revisited Dave Womble's excellent files on the forces on
          hammock suspensions and ridgelines here:

          > I like to hang my dog's hammock under mine, so I tighten the support ropes
          to raise my hammock and make room for his. This greatly increases the
          forces on the support ropes and structural ridgeline. (Both hammocks hang
          from the same points at the ends of the ridgeline.) Add in the extra 70 lb.
          that the dog weighs for more force. Then consider the occasional need to
          use trees that are farther apart. My 7/64" amsteel support ropes are cut to
          handle tree-to-tree separations of up to 25 ft., but I've only been able to
          use that use that a couple of times, and the tension is scary. (I usually
          try to do this across a hollow, so I have the benefit of extra height, hence
          more sag. My question is this: has anyone devised a method of attaching
          tree huggers higher, possibly using hiking poles or forked sticks? I'd like
          to be able to easily place my tree huggers about two or three feet higher
          than I can reach (and retrieve them easily the next morning). I use a
          hammock because about 25 years ago I lost my ability to sleep soundly on
          roots and rocks. Somewhere along the way my enthusiasm for shinnying up
          trees with a strap in my mouth went away, too.

          database 4510 (20091015) __________

          http://www.eset.com

          database 4510 (20091015) __________

          http://www.eset.com

          database 4510 (20091015) __________

          http://www.eset.com
        • John White
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
            I was wondering the same thing ... I am 6'2" & 240 lbs and don't have a major sag problem.

            The further apart the trees are, the higher you have to get the suspension
            on the trees. I use the point of a trekking pole to lift and raise the
            straps on the trunk of the tree. An extensible trekking pole is useful as a
            porch strut for the tarp as well. The straps are generally loose enough on
            the trunk when there is no weight in the hammock. I have also used trees
            with a lot of small branches - put the tip of the pole in the biner or loop
            and shove it through high branches.

            Lori

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David" <delliott78@...> wrote:

            > I have recently revisited Dave Womble's excellent files on the forces on
            hammock suspensions and ridgelines here:

            > I like to hang my dog's hammock under mine, so I tighten the support ropes
            to raise my hammock and make room for his. This greatly increases the
            forces on the support ropes and structural ridgeline. (Both hammocks hang
            from the same points at the ends of the ridgeline.) Add in the extra 70 lb.
            that the dog weighs for more force. Then consider the occasional need to
            use trees that are farther apart. My 7/64" amsteel support ropes are cut to
            handle tree-to-tree separations of up to 25 ft., but I've only been able to
            use that use that a couple of times, and the tension is scary. (I usually
            try to do this across a hollow, so I have the benefit of extra height, hence
            more sag. My question is this: has anyone devised a method of attaching
            tree huggers higher, possibly using hiking poles or forked sticks? I'd like
            to be able to easily place my tree huggers about two or three feet higher
            than I can reach (and retrieve them easily the next morning). I use a
            hammock because about 25 years ago I lost my ability to sleep soundly on
            roots and rocks. Somewhere along the way my enthusiasm for shinnying up
            trees with a strap in my mouth went away, too.

            database 4510 (20091015) __________

            http://www.eset.com

            database 4510 (20091015) __________

            http://www.eset.com

            database 4510 (20091015) __________

            http://www.eset.com

          • Chris Lutz
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
              I'd like to know more about this trip.  Is there another website or something for MAHHA.  I did a quick search and the forums said it was Crampton park not Gathland.  Maybe last year though not current.  Can someone help me out?  Would love to attend. Thanks.

              Chris Lutz
              Sign up for online personal training
              www.spartafitnesstraining.com

              ________________________________

              Posted by: "ratsmouth@aol. com" ratsmouth@aol. com holliscbarton
              Date: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:03 pm ((PDT))

              I'd be interested in seeing answers to this question as well. Getting
              enough "altitude" seems to be my main problem when it comes to hanging
              my hammock. I'm 5'8" tall and have a tough time getting the tree
              huggers high enough on the tree to get my butt off the ground.

              Ratty

              http://clk.atdmt com/GBL/go/ 177141665/ direct/01/

            • David
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                Thanks, Lori. That's encouraging. I was thinking that something like that might work. I often hang from Beech trees, and with their smooth bark, the tree huggers can slide down if they're not under tension or wrapped around a few times and tied in place with separate lines. I was wondering about using two trekking poles, one to pass one end of the strap around the tree and the other to retrieve it through the loop on the other end of the strap so it could be cinched tight before it slips down. I'd need to hold the strap with the first pole until it could be "grabbed" by the second one. I'm not sure of the mechanisms for "holding" and "releasing" and "grabbing" but my first attempt will probably involve a patch of loop velcro sewn to one end of the strap and a patch of sticky hook velcro applied to each pole. Wish me luck; the first attempts are bound to be comical. I also looked at commercial reacher/grabber/pickup tools, but I'd rather use a pole I'm already carrying for stream crossings. Incidentally, the other day I discovered that hiking sticks can replace the tie-outs for left-shoulder and right knee locations on the hammock. Jam the point of the stick in the ground under the hammock and angle it upward at 45 degrees so you can attach the handle strap to the tie-out point. The pole pivots a bit at the ground, but the tension keeps it pushing out and up on the hammock edge. The resultant sleeping surface is as flat as a bridge hammock. (The two poles pushing in opposite directions at the head and foot of the hammock function a lot like the struts in Bucky Fuller's tensegrity prisms.) Thanks again for your input. You have given me the courage to forge ahead on yet another wild scheme...
                David

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "lpon2000" <lorister@...> wrote:

                > The further apart the trees are, the higher you have to get the suspension on the trees. I use the point of a trekking pole to lift and raise the straps on the trunk of the tree. An extensible trekking pole is useful as a porch strut for the tarp as well. The straps are generally loose enough on the trunk when there is no weight in the hammock. I have also used trees with a lot of small branches - put the tip of the pole in the biner or loop and shove it through high branches.
                >
                > Lori
                > > .

              • David
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Goller" <jerrygoller@...> wrote:

                  > I have to admit, I'm mildly mystified by this thread. What straps and cord
                  > material are you all using? I'm not getting *that* much sag on my hammock
                  > when I get in it.
                  >
                  > Jerry

                  Jerry,
                  Ratty has a different problem from mine. I suspect he's using rope or straps that stretch. I use 7/64" amsteel with a structural ridgeline and dacron straps. In cold weather I need to hang my hammock higher than usual to leave room for my dog's insulated hammock underneath because he has no winter coat to keep him warm. Do you know how many times a dog stands up and turns around during the night? He bumps into my butt. (I think it bothers him more than it does me.) Life was simpler with my previous pack-dog; she would happily curl up on snowy ground and bury her nose in her tail.
                  David
                • Jerry Goller
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                    Ah, that is different. My cords are Dyneema, my straps are 2" poly strap,
                    and I use modified large Nite Ize Figure Nines on my hammocks.

                    Jerry

                    reviews and tests on the planet.

                    > I have to admit, I'm mildly mystified by this thread. What straps and
                    > cord material are you all using? I'm not getting *that* much sag on my
                    > hammock when I get in it.
                    >
                    > Jerry

                    Jerry,
                    Ratty has a different problem from mine. I suspect he's using rope or straps
                    that stretch. I use 7/64" amsteel with a structural ridgeline and dacron
                    straps. In cold weather I need to hang my hammock higher than usual to leave
                    room for my dog's insulated hammock underneath because he has no winter coat
                    to keep him warm. Do you know how many times a dog stands up and turns
                    around during the night? He bumps into my butt. (I think it bothers him more
                    than it does me.) Life was simpler with my previous pack-dog; she would
                    happily curl up on snowy ground and bury her nose in her tail.
                    David

                    database 4511 (20091015) __________

                    http://www.eset.com

                    database 4511 (20091015) __________

                    http://www.eset.com
                  • Tom Frazier
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                      I use the 1" wide climbing straps (got mine at REI) along with a cinch-buckle for the straps and I sewed a loop at the end of the cord and attached a climbing-rated carabiner for a quick-connect/quick-release set up. I don't get any stretch either. I did when I used the old poly cords that came with my older claytor hammock...those stretched like undersized socks on a giant!

                      Tom

                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                        They must have been nylon, then. Poly doesn't, for all practical purposes,
                        stretch.

                        Jerry

                        reviews and tests on the planet.

                        The further apart the trees are, the higher you have to get the suspension
                        on the trees. I use the point of a trekking pole to lift and raise the
                        straps on the trunk of the tree. An extensible trekking pole is useful as
                        porch strut for the tarp as well. The straps are generally loose enough on
                        the trunk when there is no weight in the hammock. I have also used trees
                        with a lot of small branches - put the tip of the pole in the biner or
                        loop
                        and shove it through high branches.

                        Lori

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David" <delliott78@...> wrote:

                        > I have recently revisited Dave Womble's excellent files on the forces on
                        hammock suspensions and ridgelines here:

                        > I like to hang my dog's hammock under mine, so I tighten the support
                        ropes
                        to raise my hammock and make room for his. This greatly increases the
                        forces on the support ropes and structural ridgeline. (Both hammocks hang
                        from the same points at the ends of the ridgeline.) Add in the extra 70
                        lb.
                        that the dog weighs for more force. Then consider the occasional need to
                        use trees that are farther apart. My 7/64" amsteel support ropes are cut
                        handle tree-to-tree separations of up to 25 ft., but I've only been able
                        use that use that a couple of times, and the tension is scary. (I usually
                        try to do this across a hollow, so I have the benefit of extra height,
                        hence
                        more sag. My question is this: has anyone devised a method of attaching
                        tree huggers higher, possibly using hiking poles or forked sticks? I'd
                        like
                        to be able to easily place my tree huggers about two or three feet higher
                        than I can reach (and retrieve them easily the next morning). I use a
                        hammock because about 25 years ago I lost my ability to sleep soundly on
                        roots and rocks. Somewhere along the way my enthusiasm for shinnying up
                        trees with a strap in my mouth went away, too.

                        signature
                        database 4510 (20091015) __________

                        http://www.eset.com

                        signature
                        database 4510 (20091015) __________

                        http://www.eset.com

                        signature
                        database 4510 (20091015) __________

                        http://www.eset.com

                        database 4511 (20091015) __________

                        http://www.eset.com

                        database 4511 (20091015) __________

                        http://www.eset.com
                      • ratsmouth@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                          Mine's a HH - the big ol' honkin' one. I use Tree Huggers and the cord
                          that came with the hammock. The first time I put it up, the trees were
                          pretty close together. I had maybe a foot of cord extending out from
                          the tree on each end of the hammock. No problem, although it still
                          rode fairly low. I tied it off about 6' up the trees. It worked for
                          the couple of nights I was there, and it didn't stretch or sag once it
                          was up. I really don't think it's a question of stretching cords, but
                          of distance between trees.

                          The next time I set up the hammock, the trees were probably 20'-25'
                          apart. Getting the Tree Huggers high enough was a struggle, and there
                          was just too much "give", so I still ended up with my butt on the
                          ground when I got into it.

                          Also, the HH has quite a bit of natural "give" to it so you can lie
                          flatter once you're inside. I'm going to figure this out because I
                          loved the first couple of nights I slept in my hammock, and I really
                          would like to make this my first choice in shelters.

                          Getting to MD is not a possibility. Getting ANYWHERE right now is not
                          a possibility. But thanks for the offer of hands-on help.

                          BTW, y'all.....Ratty's a girl.

                          Ratty
                        • Jerry Goller
                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                            Most of my hammocks are HH. The one I'm working with now is the new double
                            bottomed one. I don't remember the name. The tree huggers from Hennessey are
                            made of nylon. They not only will stretch, and stretch even more when wet,
                            but they also don't grab slick trees, like the aspens we have here, all that
                            well. Most of the time I carry 10' straps but I also have 20' straps for
                            when I go to northern Oregon or Washington state.

                            If you are using a lashing similar to the one HH shows I've found it best to
                            lay in the hammock for a minute then get out and retighten it. That is one
                            of the reasons I went to the Figure 9... I hate knots and I'm not all that
                            big of a fan of lashing.

                            database 4512 (20091015) __________

                            http://www.eset.com

                            database 4512 (20091015) __________

                            http://www.eset.com

                            database 4512 (20091015) __________

                            http://www.eset.com
                          • ratsmouth@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                              I don't think the Tree Huggers stretched at all. They were wrapped
                              once around the trees, with very little left over to tie to. I'll just
                              have to look for trees that are closer together.
                            • Jerry Goller
                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                                They are nylon. Trust me, they stretch. They can stretch up to 25% of their
                                original length. Tom (Hennessey) is well aware of this. The reason he went
                                to Dyneema cord is over stretch and strength.

                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                                  Yup, looked them up...they were 12 foot lengths of nylon cord. Stretched like rubber-man on "the rack".

                                  Tom

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
                                    Hi, Chris-

                                    I doubt there is a MAHHA website. Another hammock camper, inspired by Ed's SE hammocker gathering, threw out invitations and the loose association was born. They have met several times, maybe each spring and fall for two to four years. It is a bit of a trip for me, so I've not made many. The confusion as to where, is that Crampton Gap is within Maryland's Gathland State Park. So, if you are finding the meeting place from the AT, look for Crampton Gap. If you are driving, look up Gathland State Park. Either head for the shelter and water source from the Trail, or park at the big lot and head up the blue-blazed trail towards the AT to find the group. If you make plans ahead, someone might meet you in the lot to help you find your way, or at least let you know if anyone plans to put out extra flagging tape to help mark it.

                                    Don't know if all the plans will be the same, but in the past, the organizer has invited some gear manufacturers to come or donate items for a raffle, some DIY demos have been presented, and Saturday night thre was a group cookout. Everyone chipped in to help pay for the food and defray costs of the shelter rental, when someone reserved it. No promises as to whether or not anyone has done the legwork for this event. I've done it for other gatherings, and know it can be very time consuming. I have also seen a sort of a "yard sale" at which people sold off used gear. Again, I don't know if plans include this.

                                    Regards,

                                    Rosaleen

                                    MAHHA
                                    Posted by: "Chris Lutz" chrislutz25@... chrislutz25

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
                                      Stretch is relative to multiple factors - the material, the weave, the length under load, and the strength (load capacity) of the rope/strap being used. All these factors determine the amount of stretch a user will get. Also how a material is treated by the manufacturer in manufacturing and how a material is treated by the end user in use.

                                      "poly" says nothing Used here it is a consumer abbreviation for a group of materials plastics rope fabric... Be specific, polyester or polypropylene. All have materials by end use manufacturer have different characteristics - abrasion, stretch, chemical, UV, resistance to name a few.

                                      SapereAude,

                                      Arye P. Rubenstein

                                      ________________________________

                                      http://www.Backpack GearTest. org : the most comprehensive interactive gear

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
                                        True. Polypropylene is what I use most.

                                        Jerry

                                        reviews and tests on the planet.

                                        The further apart the trees are, the higher you have to get the suspension
                                        on the trees. I use the point of a trekking pole to lift and raise the
                                        straps on the trunk of the tree. An extensible trekking pole is useful as a
                                        porch strut for the tarp as well. The straps are generally loose enough on
                                        the trunk when there is no weight in the hammock. I have also used trees
                                        with a lot of small branches - put the tip of the pole in the biner or loop
                                        and shove it through high branches.

                                        Lori

                                        --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, "David" <delliott78@ ...> wrote:

                                        > I have recently revisited Dave Womble's excellent files on the forces
                                        > on
                                        hammock suspensions and ridgelines here:

                                        > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/hammockcam ping/files/ Youngblood%
                                        > 27s/
                                        >
                                        > I like to hang my dog's hammock under mine, so I tighten the support
                                        ropes
                                        to raise my hammock and make room for his. This greatly increases the forces
                                        on the support ropes and structural ridgeline. (Both hammocks hang from the
                                        same points at the ends of the ridgeline.) Add in the extra 70 lb.
                                        that the dog weighs for more force. Then consider the occasional need to use
                                        trees that are farther apart. My 7/64" amsteel support ropes are cut to
                                        handle tree-to-tree separations of up to 25 ft., but I've only been able to
                                        use that use that a couple of times, and the tension is scary. (I usually
                                        try to do this across a hollow, so I have the benefit of extra height, hence
                                        more sag. My question is this: has anyone devised a method of attaching tree
                                        huggers higher, possibly using hiking poles or forked sticks? I'd like to be
                                        able to easily place my tree huggers about two or three feet higher than I
                                        can reach (and retrieve them easily the next morning). I use a hammock
                                        because about 25 years ago I lost my ability to sleep soundly on roots and
                                        rocks. Somewhere along the way my enthusiasm for shinnying up trees with a
                                        strap in my mouth went away, too.

                                        database 4510 (20091015) __________

                                        http://www.eset. com

                                        database 4510 (20091015) __________

                                        http://www.eset. com

                                        database 4510 (20091015) __________

                                        http://www.eset. com

                                        database 4511 (20091015) __________

                                        http://www.eset. com

                                        database 4511 (20091015) __________

                                        http://www.eset. com

                                        database 4515 (20091016) __________

                                        http://www.eset.com
                                      • paulkaercher
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
                                        • Arye P. R.
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
                                            and Polypropylene is the almost the worst to use in the yard and exposed to SUN and weather. It will fail much faster than nylon or polyester given the same factors. Amsteel, Dacron, Dyneema, Mylar, KRYPTON-D etc. are all BRANDS and blends of polyester and/or UHMPE (UHMWPE) Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene Ropes which are more expensive but give the best performance for hammocking over time. A polyester product is the way to go for us.

                                            for more types of rope/line than you will ever need see the following sites.
                                            They also have good charts spelling out strength and stretch factore of most ropes
                                            <http://www.cbknot.com/CommercialFishing.htm>
                                            <http://www.cbknot.com/recreationalmarine.htm>

                                            SapereAude,

                                            Arye P. Rubenstein

                                            ________________________________

                                            ____________ _________ _________ __

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
                                              True, but none of those come in 2" webbing, as far as I know. Considering
                                              that I have some straps that are 3 or 4 years old, and it would cost me
                                              about $10 a year, max, to replace them every year, I don't think I'll bother
                                              looking for any of those in 2" webbing..... ;o) Polypro is inexpensive,
                                              light, hydrophobic, and doesn't stretch.

                                              I'm not really concerned about over time, just this season.

                                              Worrying about long lasting ropes reminded me of one time when I was living
                                              on South Padre Island, TX. Backpacking is pretty much unheard of in South
                                              Texas. I was at the dumpster at my apartment. I was tossing about $2,000.00
                                              worth of packs away. There was nothing wrong with them. They were in great
                                              shape. But they had all outlived their usefulness to me. They were too heavy
                                              and/or not as comfortable as more modern packs. There was no one to give
                                              them to. All I could think of as I tossed those packs in the dumpster was
                                              all that weight in over-engineering and money I had wasted on those packs.
                                              They were replaced with better, lighter packs long before they wore out.

                                              When Wayne Gregory was designing the Z-Pack he called me for advice on light
                                              weight packs. I kiddingly told him that the perfect long distance pack for,
                                              say the AT, would be one that as I raised my arms in victory on Katadyn
                                              would fall apart. That way I'd know I hadn't carried one single ounce of
                                              pack I didn't need for those 2100 miles.

                                              I don't plan on leaving my gear for posterity. As long as it lasts one
                                              season, and does exactly what I want it to do, I'm happy. I can't ever
                                              remember actually wearing a piece of backpacking gear out in 55+ years of
                                              backpacking.

                                              database 4516 (20091016) __________

                                              http://www.eset.com