Re: [Hammock Camping] assist in hanging higher on the tree

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 14, 2009
      I was going to suggest the same thing as Ralph. Find a stick to support
      the rope between you and the tree. The snag will be just that--finding
      the right snag that will support the weight. The result will be rather
      like the one- and two-pole hangs you can see in places like Risk's site.

      So instead of thinking of ways to push the huggers higher, look for
      poles that can support you.

      Since reliable snags may be hard to find, consider beefing up your
      support ropes and widening your tree huggers. The width will reduce
      stress on the trees, the stronger ropes will reduce stress on you and
      the dog. If you're concerned about stress on the hammock fabric, try
      using a ridgeline. Then the stress is on that line and your hang will
      always be about the same--just as it is with Hennessey Hammocks.

      CL

    • ratsmouth@aol.com
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 14, 2009
        I'd be interested in seeing answers to this question as well. Getting
        enough "altitude" seems to be my main problem when it comes to hanging
        my hammock. I'm 5'8" tall and have a tough time getting the tree
        huggers high enough on the tree to get my butt off the ground.

        Ratty
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
          Sorry about the "send" with probably a whole digest. I don't know what happened. Poltergeists, or maybe not enough cofee?

          So, Ratty, we need to get together so I can see what is going on. We have too much family stuff happening for me to get on the trail right now, EXCEPT for a quick trip to the fall MAHHA next month. If you can make it to a gathering of a bunch of hammock hangers at Gathland State Park in MD, a group will hook up the weekend of Nov. 6.

          How large is your hammock? I'm remembering Shane Steincamp's admonition that Tom Hennessy's instructions have the hammock too low. Well, for Shane's 5'7" or so, he does need to hang his hammock higher. He was using an Explorer. That hammock is longer and deeper. His shoulder- or eye-level will be different from a taller person's from the start, then add the deeper hammock and a shift in placement becomes an obvious need.

          If you start off with an appropriate height, but end up on the ground overnight, the Treehuggers or knots could be slipping. We are too far apart for a day trip meeting, but might work out something longer. It is too bad winter is upon us and I'm so tied up. Send me a PM, if you like, so we can talk more.

          Regards,

          Rosaleen

          Re: assist in hanging higher on the tree
          Posted by: "ratsmouth@..." ratsmouth@... holliscbarton

          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
            The further apart the trees are, the higher you have to get the suspension on the trees. I use the point of a trekking pole to lift and raise the straps on the trunk of the tree. An extensible trekking pole is useful as a porch strut for the tarp as well. The straps are generally loose enough on the trunk when there is no weight in the hammock. I have also used trees with a lot of small branches - put the tip of the pole in the biner or loop and shove it through high branches.

            Lori

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David" <delliott78@...> wrote:

            > I have recently revisited Dave Womble's excellent files on the forces on hammock suspensions and ridgelines here:

            > I like to hang my dog's hammock under mine, so I tighten the support ropes to raise my hammock and make room for his. This greatly increases the forces on the support ropes and structural ridgeline. (Both hammocks hang from the same points at the ends of the ridgeline.) Add in the extra 70 lb. that the dog weighs for more force. Then consider the occasional need to use trees that are farther apart. My 7/64" amsteel support ropes are cut to handle tree-to-tree separations of up to 25 ft., but I've only been able to use that use that a couple of times, and the tension is scary. (I usually try to do this across a hollow, so I have the benefit of extra height, hence more sag. My question is this: has anyone devised a method of attaching tree huggers higher, possibly using hiking poles or forked sticks? I'd like to be able to easily place my tree huggers about two or three feet higher than I can reach (and retrieve them easily the next morning). I use a hammock because about 25 years ago I lost my ability to sleep soundly on roots and rocks. Somewhere along the way my enthusiasm for shinnying up trees with a strap in my mouth went away, too.

          • Jerry Goller
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
              I have to admit, I'm mildly mystified by this thread. What straps and cord
              material are you all using? I'm not getting *that* much sag on my hammock
              when I get in it.

              Jerry

              reviews and tests on the planet.

              The further apart the trees are, the higher you have to get the suspension
              on the trees. I use the point of a trekking pole to lift and raise the
              straps on the trunk of the tree. An extensible trekking pole is useful as a
              porch strut for the tarp as well. The straps are generally loose enough on
              the trunk when there is no weight in the hammock. I have also used trees
              with a lot of small branches - put the tip of the pole in the biner or loop
              and shove it through high branches.

              Lori

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David" <delliott78@...> wrote:

              > I have recently revisited Dave Womble's excellent files on the forces on
              hammock suspensions and ridgelines here:

              > I like to hang my dog's hammock under mine, so I tighten the support ropes
              to raise my hammock and make room for his. This greatly increases the
              forces on the support ropes and structural ridgeline. (Both hammocks hang
              from the same points at the ends of the ridgeline.) Add in the extra 70 lb.
              that the dog weighs for more force. Then consider the occasional need to
              use trees that are farther apart. My 7/64" amsteel support ropes are cut to
              handle tree-to-tree separations of up to 25 ft., but I've only been able to
              use that use that a couple of times, and the tension is scary. (I usually
              try to do this across a hollow, so I have the benefit of extra height, hence
              more sag. My question is this: has anyone devised a method of attaching
              tree huggers higher, possibly using hiking poles or forked sticks? I'd like
              to be able to easily place my tree huggers about two or three feet higher
              than I can reach (and retrieve them easily the next morning). I use a
              hammock because about 25 years ago I lost my ability to sleep soundly on
              roots and rocks. Somewhere along the way my enthusiasm for shinnying up
              trees with a strap in my mouth went away, too.

              database 4510 (20091015) __________

              http://www.eset.com

              database 4510 (20091015) __________

              http://www.eset.com

              database 4510 (20091015) __________

              http://www.eset.com
            • John White

                The further apart the trees are, the higher you have to get the suspension
                on the trees. I use the point of a trekking pole to lift and raise the
                straps on the trunk of the tree. An extensible trekking pole is useful as a
                porch strut for the tarp as well. The straps are generally loose enough on
                the trunk when there is no weight in the hammock. I have also used trees
                with a lot of small branches - put the tip of the pole in the biner or loop
                and shove it through high branches.

                Lori

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David" <delliott78@...> wrote:

                > I have recently revisited Dave Womble's excellent files on the forces on
                hammock suspensions and ridgelines here:

                > I like to hang my dog's hammock under mine, so I tighten the support ropes
                to raise my hammock and make room for his. This greatly increases the
                forces on the support ropes and structural ridgeline. (Both hammocks hang
                from the same points at the ends of the ridgeline.) Add in the extra 70 lb.
                that the dog weighs for more force. Then consider the occasional need to
                use trees that are farther apart. My 7/64" amsteel support ropes are cut to
                handle tree-to-tree separations of up to 25 ft., but I've only been able to
                use that use that a couple of times, and the tension is scary. (I usually
                try to do this across a hollow, so I have the benefit of extra height, hence
                more sag. My question is this: has anyone devised a method of attaching
                tree huggers higher, possibly using hiking poles or forked sticks? I'd like
                to be able to easily place my tree huggers about two or three feet higher
                than I can reach (and retrieve them easily the next morning). I use a
                hammock because about 25 years ago I lost my ability to sleep soundly on
                roots and rocks. Somewhere along the way my enthusiasm for shinnying up
                trees with a strap in my mouth went away, too.

                database 4510 (20091015) __________

                http://www.eset.com

                database 4510 (20091015) __________

                http://www.eset.com

                database 4510 (20091015) __________

                http://www.eset.com

              • Chris Lutz
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                  I'd like to know more about this trip.  Is there another website or something for MAHHA.  I did a quick search and the forums said it was Crampton park not Gathland.  Maybe last year though not current.  Can someone help me out?  Would love to attend. Thanks.

                  Chris Lutz
                  Sign up for online personal training
                  www.spartafitnesstraining.com

                  ________________________________

                  Posted by: "ratsmouth@aol. com" ratsmouth@aol. com holliscbarton
                  Date: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:03 pm ((PDT))

                  I'd be interested in seeing answers to this question as well. Getting
                  enough "altitude" seems to be my main problem when it comes to hanging
                  my hammock. I'm 5'8" tall and have a tough time getting the tree
                  huggers high enough on the tree to get my butt off the ground.

                  Ratty

                  http://clk.atdmt com/GBL/go/ 177141665/ direct/01/

                • David
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                    Thanks, Lori. That's encouraging. I was thinking that something like that might work. I often hang from Beech trees, and with their smooth bark, the tree huggers can slide down if they're not under tension or wrapped around a few times and tied in place with separate lines. I was wondering about using two trekking poles, one to pass one end of the strap around the tree and the other to retrieve it through the loop on the other end of the strap so it could be cinched tight before it slips down. I'd need to hold the strap with the first pole until it could be "grabbed" by the second one. I'm not sure of the mechanisms for "holding" and "releasing" and "grabbing" but my first attempt will probably involve a patch of loop velcro sewn to one end of the strap and a patch of sticky hook velcro applied to each pole. Wish me luck; the first attempts are bound to be comical. I also looked at commercial reacher/grabber/pickup tools, but I'd rather use a pole I'm already carrying for stream crossings. Incidentally, the other day I discovered that hiking sticks can replace the tie-outs for left-shoulder and right knee locations on the hammock. Jam the point of the stick in the ground under the hammock and angle it upward at 45 degrees so you can attach the handle strap to the tie-out point. The pole pivots a bit at the ground, but the tension keeps it pushing out and up on the hammock edge. The resultant sleeping surface is as flat as a bridge hammock. (The two poles pushing in opposite directions at the head and foot of the hammock function a lot like the struts in Bucky Fuller's tensegrity prisms.) Thanks again for your input. You have given me the courage to forge ahead on yet another wild scheme...
                    David

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "lpon2000" <lorister@...> wrote:

                    > The further apart the trees are, the higher you have to get the suspension on the trees. I use the point of a trekking pole to lift and raise the straps on the trunk of the tree. An extensible trekking pole is useful as a porch strut for the tarp as well. The straps are generally loose enough on the trunk when there is no weight in the hammock. I have also used trees with a lot of small branches - put the tip of the pole in the biner or loop and shove it through high branches.
                    >
                    > Lori
                    > > .

                  • David
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Goller" <jerrygoller@...> wrote:

                      > I have to admit, I'm mildly mystified by this thread. What straps and cord
                      > material are you all using? I'm not getting *that* much sag on my hammock
                      > when I get in it.
                      >
                      > Jerry

                      Jerry,
                      Ratty has a different problem from mine. I suspect he's using rope or straps that stretch. I use 7/64" amsteel with a structural ridgeline and dacron straps. In cold weather I need to hang my hammock higher than usual to leave room for my dog's insulated hammock underneath because he has no winter coat to keep him warm. Do you know how many times a dog stands up and turns around during the night? He bumps into my butt. (I think it bothers him more than it does me.) Life was simpler with my previous pack-dog; she would happily curl up on snowy ground and bury her nose in her tail.
                      David
                    • Jerry Goller
                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                        Ah, that is different. My cords are Dyneema, my straps are 2" poly strap,
                        and I use modified large Nite Ize Figure Nines on my hammocks.

                        Jerry

                        reviews and tests on the planet.

                        > I have to admit, I'm mildly mystified by this thread. What straps and
                        > cord material are you all using? I'm not getting *that* much sag on my
                        > hammock when I get in it.
                        >
                        > Jerry

                        Jerry,
                        Ratty has a different problem from mine. I suspect he's using rope or straps
                        that stretch. I use 7/64" amsteel with a structural ridgeline and dacron
                        straps. In cold weather I need to hang my hammock higher than usual to leave
                        room for my dog's insulated hammock underneath because he has no winter coat
                        to keep him warm. Do you know how many times a dog stands up and turns
                        around during the night? He bumps into my butt. (I think it bothers him more
                        than it does me.) Life was simpler with my previous pack-dog; she would
                        happily curl up on snowy ground and bury her nose in her tail.
                        David

                        database 4511 (20091015) __________

                        http://www.eset.com

                        database 4511 (20091015) __________

                        http://www.eset.com
                      • Tom Frazier
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                          I use the 1" wide climbing straps (got mine at REI) along with a cinch-buckle for the straps and I sewed a loop at the end of the cord and attached a climbing-rated carabiner for a quick-connect/quick-release set up. I don't get any stretch either. I did when I used the old poly cords that came with my older claytor hammock...those stretched like undersized socks on a giant!

                          Tom

                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                            They must have been nylon, then. Poly doesn't, for all practical purposes,
                            stretch.

                            Jerry

                            reviews and tests on the planet.

                            The further apart the trees are, the higher you have to get the suspension
                            on the trees. I use the point of a trekking pole to lift and raise the
                            straps on the trunk of the tree. An extensible trekking pole is useful as
                            porch strut for the tarp as well. The straps are generally loose enough on
                            the trunk when there is no weight in the hammock. I have also used trees
                            with a lot of small branches - put the tip of the pole in the biner or
                            loop
                            and shove it through high branches.

                            Lori

                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David" <delliott78@...> wrote:

                            > I have recently revisited Dave Womble's excellent files on the forces on
                            hammock suspensions and ridgelines here:

                            > I like to hang my dog's hammock under mine, so I tighten the support
                            ropes
                            to raise my hammock and make room for his. This greatly increases the
                            forces on the support ropes and structural ridgeline. (Both hammocks hang
                            from the same points at the ends of the ridgeline.) Add in the extra 70
                            lb.
                            that the dog weighs for more force. Then consider the occasional need to
                            use trees that are farther apart. My 7/64" amsteel support ropes are cut
                            handle tree-to-tree separations of up to 25 ft., but I've only been able
                            use that use that a couple of times, and the tension is scary. (I usually
                            try to do this across a hollow, so I have the benefit of extra height,
                            hence
                            more sag. My question is this: has anyone devised a method of attaching
                            tree huggers higher, possibly using hiking poles or forked sticks? I'd
                            like
                            to be able to easily place my tree huggers about two or three feet higher
                            than I can reach (and retrieve them easily the next morning). I use a
                            hammock because about 25 years ago I lost my ability to sleep soundly on
                            roots and rocks. Somewhere along the way my enthusiasm for shinnying up
                            trees with a strap in my mouth went away, too.

                            signature
                            database 4510 (20091015) __________

                            http://www.eset.com

                            signature
                            database 4510 (20091015) __________

                            http://www.eset.com

                            signature
                            database 4510 (20091015) __________

                            http://www.eset.com

                            database 4511 (20091015) __________

                            http://www.eset.com

                            database 4511 (20091015) __________

                            http://www.eset.com
                          • ratsmouth@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                              Mine's a HH - the big ol' honkin' one. I use Tree Huggers and the cord
                              that came with the hammock. The first time I put it up, the trees were
                              pretty close together. I had maybe a foot of cord extending out from
                              the tree on each end of the hammock. No problem, although it still
                              rode fairly low. I tied it off about 6' up the trees. It worked for
                              the couple of nights I was there, and it didn't stretch or sag once it
                              was up. I really don't think it's a question of stretching cords, but
                              of distance between trees.

                              The next time I set up the hammock, the trees were probably 20'-25'
                              apart. Getting the Tree Huggers high enough was a struggle, and there
                              was just too much "give", so I still ended up with my butt on the
                              ground when I got into it.

                              Also, the HH has quite a bit of natural "give" to it so you can lie
                              flatter once you're inside. I'm going to figure this out because I
                              loved the first couple of nights I slept in my hammock, and I really
                              would like to make this my first choice in shelters.

                              Getting to MD is not a possibility. Getting ANYWHERE right now is not
                              a possibility. But thanks for the offer of hands-on help.

                              BTW, y'all.....Ratty's a girl.

                              Ratty
                            • Jerry Goller
                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                                Most of my hammocks are HH. The one I'm working with now is the new double
                                bottomed one. I don't remember the name. The tree huggers from Hennessey are
                                made of nylon. They not only will stretch, and stretch even more when wet,
                                but they also don't grab slick trees, like the aspens we have here, all that
                                well. Most of the time I carry 10' straps but I also have 20' straps for
                                when I go to northern Oregon or Washington state.

                                If you are using a lashing similar to the one HH shows I've found it best to
                                lay in the hammock for a minute then get out and retighten it. That is one
                                of the reasons I went to the Figure 9... I hate knots and I'm not all that
                                big of a fan of lashing.

                                database 4512 (20091015) __________

                                http://www.eset.com

                                database 4512 (20091015) __________

                                http://www.eset.com

                                database 4512 (20091015) __________

                                http://www.eset.com
                              • ratsmouth@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                                  I don't think the Tree Huggers stretched at all. They were wrapped
                                  once around the trees, with very little left over to tie to. I'll just
                                  have to look for trees that are closer together.
                                • Jerry Goller
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                                    They are nylon. Trust me, they stretch. They can stretch up to 25% of their
                                    original length. Tom (Hennessey) is well aware of this. The reason he went
                                    to Dyneema cord is over stretch and strength.

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                                      Yup, looked them up...they were 12 foot lengths of nylon cord. Stretched like rubber-man on "the rack".

                                      Tom

                                      The further apart the trees are, the higher you have to get the suspension
                                      on the trees. I use the point of a trekking pole to lift and raise the
                                      straps on the trunk of the tree. An extensible trekking pole is useful as
                                      porch strut for the tarp as well. The straps are generally loose enough on
                                      the trunk when there is no weight in the hammock. I have also used trees
                                      with a lot of small branches - put the tip of the pole in the biner or
                                      loop
                                      and shove it through high branches.

                                      Lori

                                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David" <delliott78@...> wrote:

                                      > I have recently revisited Dave Womble's excellent files on the forces on
                                      hammock suspensions and ridgelines here:

                                      > I like to hang my dog's hammock under mine, so I tighten the support
                                      ropes
                                      to raise my hammock and make room for his. This greatly increases the
                                      forces on the support ropes and structural ridgeline. (Both hammocks hang
                                      from the same points at the ends of the ridgeline.) Add in the extra 70
                                      lb.
                                      that the dog weighs for more force. Then consider the occasional need to
                                      use trees that are farther apart. My 7/64" amsteel support ropes are cut
                                      handle tree-to-tree separations of up to 25 ft., but I've only been able
                                      use that use that a couple of times, and the tension is scary. (I usually
                                      try to do this across a hollow, so I have the benefit of extra height,
                                      hence
                                      more sag. My question is this: has anyone devised a method of attaching
                                      tree huggers higher, possibly using hiking poles or forked sticks? I'd
                                      like
                                      to be able to easily place my tree huggers about two or three feet higher
                                      than I can reach (and retrieve them easily the next morning). I use a
                                      hammock because about 25 years ago I lost my ability to sleep soundly on
                                      roots and rocks. Somewhere along the way my enthusiasm for shinnying up
                                      trees with a strap in my mouth went away, too.

                                      signature
                                      database 4510 (20091015) __________

                                      http://www.eset.com

                                      signature
                                      database 4510 (20091015) __________

                                      http://www.eset.com

                                      signature
                                      database 4510 (20091015) __________

                                      http://www.eset.com

                                      database 4511 (20091015) __________

                                      http://www.eset.com

                                      database 4511 (20091015) __________

                                      http://www.eset.com

                                    • Rosaleen Sullivan
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
                                        Hi, Chris-

                                        I doubt there is a MAHHA website. Another hammock camper, inspired by Ed's SE hammocker gathering, threw out invitations and the loose association was born. They have met several times, maybe each spring and fall for two to four years. It is a bit of a trip for me, so I've not made many. The confusion as to where, is that Crampton Gap is within Maryland's Gathland State Park. So, if you are finding the meeting place from the AT, look for Crampton Gap. If you are driving, look up Gathland State Park. Either head for the shelter and water source from the Trail, or park at the big lot and head up the blue-blazed trail towards the AT to find the group. If you make plans ahead, someone might meet you in the lot to help you find your way, or at least let you know if anyone plans to put out extra flagging tape to help mark it.

                                        Don't know if all the plans will be the same, but in the past, the organizer has invited some gear manufacturers to come or donate items for a raffle, some DIY demos have been presented, and Saturday night thre was a group cookout. Everyone chipped in to help pay for the food and defray costs of the shelter rental, when someone reserved it. No promises as to whether or not anyone has done the legwork for this event. I've done it for other gatherings, and know it can be very time consuming. I have also seen a sort of a "yard sale" at which people sold off used gear. Again, I don't know if plans include this.

                                        Regards,

                                        Rosaleen

                                        MAHHA
                                        Posted by: "Chris Lutz" chrislutz25@... chrislutz25

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
                                          Stretch is relative to multiple factors - the material, the weave, the length under load, and the strength (load capacity) of the rope/strap being used. All these factors determine the amount of stretch a user will get. Also how a material is treated by the manufacturer in manufacturing and how a material is treated by the end user in use.

                                          "poly" says nothing Used here it is a consumer abbreviation for a group of materials plastics rope fabric... Be specific, polyester or polypropylene. All have materials by end use manufacturer have different characteristics - abrasion, stretch, chemical, UV, resistance to name a few.

                                          SapereAude,

                                          Arye P. Rubenstein

                                          ________________________________

                                          http://www.Backpack GearTest. org : the most comprehensive interactive gear

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
                                            True. Polypropylene is what I use most.

                                            Jerry

                                            reviews and tests on the planet.

                                            The further apart the trees are, the higher you have to get the suspension
                                            on the trees. I use the point of a trekking pole to lift and raise the
                                            straps on the trunk of the tree. An extensible trekking pole is useful as a
                                            porch strut for the tarp as well. The straps are generally loose enough on
                                            the trunk when there is no weight in the hammock. I have also used trees
                                            with a lot of small branches - put the tip of the pole in the biner or loop
                                            and shove it through high branches.

                                            Lori

                                            --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, "David" <delliott78@ ...> wrote:

                                            > I have recently revisited Dave Womble's excellent files on the forces
                                            > on
                                            hammock suspensions and ridgelines here:

                                            > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/hammockcam ping/files/ Youngblood%
                                            > 27s/
                                            >
                                            > I like to hang my dog's hammock under mine, so I tighten the support
                                            ropes
                                            to raise my hammock and make room for his. This greatly increases the forces
                                            on the support ropes and structural ridgeline. (Both hammocks hang from the
                                            same points at the ends of the ridgeline.) Add in the extra 70 lb.
                                            that the dog weighs for more force. Then consider the occasional need to use
                                            trees that are farther apart. My 7/64" amsteel support ropes are cut to
                                            handle tree-to-tree separations of up to 25 ft., but I've only been able to
                                            use that use that a couple of times, and the tension is scary. (I usually
                                            try to do this across a hollow, so I have the benefit of extra height, hence
                                            more sag. My question is this: has anyone devised a method of attaching tree
                                            huggers higher, possibly using hiking poles or forked sticks? I'd like to be
                                            able to easily place my tree huggers about two or three feet higher than I
                                            can reach (and retrieve them easily the next morning). I use a hammock
                                            because about 25 years ago I lost my ability to sleep soundly on roots and
                                            rocks. Somewhere along the way my enthusiasm for shinnying up trees with a
                                            strap in my mouth went away, too.

                                            database 4510 (20091015) __________

                                            http://www.eset. com

                                            database 4510 (20091015) __________

                                            http://www.eset. com

                                            database 4510 (20091015) __________

                                            http://www.eset. com

                                            database 4511 (20091015) __________

                                            http://www.eset. com

                                            database 4511 (20091015) __________

                                            http://www.eset. com

                                            database 4515 (20091016) __________

                                            http://www.eset.com
                                          • paulkaercher
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
                                            • Arye P. R.
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
                                                and Polypropylene is the almost the worst to use in the yard and exposed to SUN and weather. It will fail much faster than nylon or polyester given the same factors. Amsteel, Dacron, Dyneema, Mylar, KRYPTON-D etc. are all BRANDS and blends of polyester and/or UHMPE (UHMWPE) Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene Ropes which are more expensive but give the best performance for hammocking over time. A polyester product is the way to go for us.

                                                for more types of rope/line than you will ever need see the following sites.
                                                They also have good charts spelling out strength and stretch factore of most ropes
                                                <http://www.cbknot.com/CommercialFishing.htm>
                                                <http://www.cbknot.com/recreationalmarine.htm>

                                                SapereAude,

                                                Arye P. Rubenstein

                                                ________________________________

                                                ____________ _________ _________ __

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
                                                  True, but none of those come in 2" webbing, as far as I know. Considering
                                                  that I have some straps that are 3 or 4 years old, and it would cost me
                                                  about $10 a year, max, to replace them every year, I don't think I'll bother
                                                  looking for any of those in 2" webbing..... ;o) Polypro is inexpensive,
                                                  light, hydrophobic, and doesn't stretch.

                                                  I'm not really concerned about over time, just this season.

                                                  Worrying about long lasting ropes reminded me of one time when I was living
                                                  on South Padre Island, TX. Backpacking is pretty much unheard of in South
                                                  Texas. I was at the dumpster at my apartment. I was tossing about $2,000.00
                                                  worth of packs away. There was nothing wrong with them. They were in great
                                                  shape. But they had all outlived their usefulness to me. They were too heavy
                                                  and/or not as comfortable as more modern packs. There was no one to give
                                                  them to. All I could think of as I tossed those packs in the dumpster was
                                                  all that weight in over-engineering and money I had wasted on those packs.
                                                  They were replaced with better, lighter packs long before they wore out.

                                                  When Wayne Gregory was designing the Z-Pack he called me for advice on light
                                                  weight packs. I kiddingly told him that the perfect long distance pack for,
                                                  say the AT, would be one that as I raised my arms in victory on Katadyn
                                                  would fall apart. That way I'd know I hadn't carried one single ounce of
                                                  pack I didn't need for those 2100 miles.

                                                  I don't plan on leaving my gear for posterity. As long as it lasts one
                                                  season, and does exactly what I want it to do, I'm happy. I can't ever
                                                  remember actually wearing a piece of backpacking gear out in 55+ years of
                                                  backpacking.

                                                  database 4516 (20091016) __________

                                                  http://www.eset.com