Re: [Hammock Camping] assist in hanging higher on the tree

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 14, 2009
      Try this (maybe)?
      Attach the hammock as high as possible and put a single forked stick (six or
      8 feet long) in your support rope near your feet?

      Ralph

      On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 6:55 AM, David <delliott78@...> wrote:

      > I have recently revisited Dave Womble's excellent files on the forces on
      > hammock suspensions and ridgelines here:

      > I like to hang my dog's hammock under mine, so I tighten the support ropes
      > to raise my hammock and make room for his. This greatly increases the
      > forces on the support ropes and structural ridgeline. (Both hammocks hang
      > from the same points at the ends of the ridgeline.) Add in the extra 70 lb.
      > that the dog weighs for more force. Then consider the occasional need to
      > use trees that are farther apart. My 7/64" amsteel support ropes are cut to
      > handle tree-to-tree separations of up to 25 ft., but I've only been able to
      > use that use that a couple of times, and the tension is scary. (I usually
      > try to do this across a hollow, so I have the benefit of extra height, hence
      > more sag. My question is this: has anyone devised a method of attaching
      > tree huggers higher, possibly using hiking poles or forked sticks? I'd like
      > to be able to easily place my tree huggers about two or three feet higher
      > than I can reach (and retrieve them easily the next morning). I use a
      > hammock because about 25 years ago I lost my ability to sleep soundly on
      > roots and rocks. Somewhere along the way my enthusiasm for shinnying up
      > trees with a strap in my mouth went away, too.

    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 14, 2009
        I was going to suggest the same thing as Ralph. Find a stick to support
        the rope between you and the tree. The snag will be just that--finding
        the right snag that will support the weight. The result will be rather
        like the one- and two-pole hangs you can see in places like Risk's site.

        So instead of thinking of ways to push the huggers higher, look for
        poles that can support you.

        Since reliable snags may be hard to find, consider beefing up your
        support ropes and widening your tree huggers. The width will reduce
        stress on the trees, the stronger ropes will reduce stress on you and
        the dog. If you're concerned about stress on the hammock fabric, try
        using a ridgeline. Then the stress is on that line and your hang will
        always be about the same--just as it is with Hennessey Hammocks.

        CL

      • ratsmouth@aol.com
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 14, 2009
          I'd be interested in seeing answers to this question as well. Getting
          enough "altitude" seems to be my main problem when it comes to hanging
          my hammock. I'm 5'8" tall and have a tough time getting the tree
          huggers high enough on the tree to get my butt off the ground.

          Ratty

          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
            Sorry about the "send" with probably a whole digest. I don't know what happened. Poltergeists, or maybe not enough cofee?

            So, Ratty, we need to get together so I can see what is going on. We have too much family stuff happening for me to get on the trail right now, EXCEPT for a quick trip to the fall MAHHA next month. If you can make it to a gathering of a bunch of hammock hangers at Gathland State Park in MD, a group will hook up the weekend of Nov. 6.

            How large is your hammock? I'm remembering Shane Steincamp's admonition that Tom Hennessy's instructions have the hammock too low. Well, for Shane's 5'7" or so, he does need to hang his hammock higher. He was using an Explorer. That hammock is longer and deeper. His shoulder- or eye-level will be different from a taller person's from the start, then add the deeper hammock and a shift in placement becomes an obvious need.

            If you start off with an appropriate height, but end up on the ground overnight, the Treehuggers or knots could be slipping. We are too far apart for a day trip meeting, but might work out something longer. It is too bad winter is upon us and I'm so tied up. Send me a PM, if you like, so we can talk more.

            Regards,

            Rosaleen

            Re: assist in hanging higher on the tree
            Posted by: "ratsmouth@..." ratsmouth@... holliscbarton

            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
              The further apart the trees are, the higher you have to get the suspension on the trees. I use the point of a trekking pole to lift and raise the straps on the trunk of the tree. An extensible trekking pole is useful as a porch strut for the tarp as well. The straps are generally loose enough on the trunk when there is no weight in the hammock. I have also used trees with a lot of small branches - put the tip of the pole in the biner or loop and shove it through high branches.

              Lori

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David" <delliott78@...> wrote:

              > I have recently revisited Dave Womble's excellent files on the forces on hammock suspensions and ridgelines here:

              > I like to hang my dog's hammock under mine, so I tighten the support ropes to raise my hammock and make room for his. This greatly increases the forces on the support ropes and structural ridgeline. (Both hammocks hang from the same points at the ends of the ridgeline.) Add in the extra 70 lb. that the dog weighs for more force. Then consider the occasional need to use trees that are farther apart. My 7/64" amsteel support ropes are cut to handle tree-to-tree separations of up to 25 ft., but I've only been able to use that use that a couple of times, and the tension is scary. (I usually try to do this across a hollow, so I have the benefit of extra height, hence more sag. My question is this: has anyone devised a method of attaching tree huggers higher, possibly using hiking poles or forked sticks? I'd like to be able to easily place my tree huggers about two or three feet higher than I can reach (and retrieve them easily the next morning). I use a hammock because about 25 years ago I lost my ability to sleep soundly on roots and rocks. Somewhere along the way my enthusiasm for shinnying up trees with a strap in my mouth went away, too.

            • Jerry Goller
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                I have to admit, I'm mildly mystified by this thread. What straps and cord
                material are you all using? I'm not getting *that* much sag on my hammock
                when I get in it.

                Jerry

                reviews and tests on the planet.

                The further apart the trees are, the higher you have to get the suspension
                on the trees. I use the point of a trekking pole to lift and raise the
                straps on the trunk of the tree. An extensible trekking pole is useful as a
                porch strut for the tarp as well. The straps are generally loose enough on
                the trunk when there is no weight in the hammock. I have also used trees
                with a lot of small branches - put the tip of the pole in the biner or loop
                and shove it through high branches.

                Lori

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David" <delliott78@...> wrote:

                > I have recently revisited Dave Womble's excellent files on the forces on
                hammock suspensions and ridgelines here:

                > I like to hang my dog's hammock under mine, so I tighten the support ropes
                to raise my hammock and make room for his. This greatly increases the
                forces on the support ropes and structural ridgeline. (Both hammocks hang
                from the same points at the ends of the ridgeline.) Add in the extra 70 lb.
                that the dog weighs for more force. Then consider the occasional need to
                use trees that are farther apart. My 7/64" amsteel support ropes are cut to
                handle tree-to-tree separations of up to 25 ft., but I've only been able to
                use that use that a couple of times, and the tension is scary. (I usually
                try to do this across a hollow, so I have the benefit of extra height, hence
                more sag. My question is this: has anyone devised a method of attaching
                tree huggers higher, possibly using hiking poles or forked sticks? I'd like
                to be able to easily place my tree huggers about two or three feet higher
                than I can reach (and retrieve them easily the next morning). I use a
                hammock because about 25 years ago I lost my ability to sleep soundly on
                roots and rocks. Somewhere along the way my enthusiasm for shinnying up
                trees with a strap in my mouth went away, too.

                database 4510 (20091015) __________

                http://www.eset.com

                database 4510 (20091015) __________

                http://www.eset.com

                database 4510 (20091015) __________

                http://www.eset.com
              • John White
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                  I was wondering the same thing ... I am 6'2" & 240 lbs and don't have a major sag problem.

                  The further apart the trees are, the higher you have to get the suspension
                  on the trees. I use the point of a trekking pole to lift and raise the
                  straps on the trunk of the tree. An extensible trekking pole is useful as a
                  porch strut for the tarp as well. The straps are generally loose enough on
                  the trunk when there is no weight in the hammock. I have also used trees
                  with a lot of small branches - put the tip of the pole in the biner or loop
                  and shove it through high branches.

                  Lori

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David" <delliott78@...> wrote:

                  > I have recently revisited Dave Womble's excellent files on the forces on
                  hammock suspensions and ridgelines here:

                  > I like to hang my dog's hammock under mine, so I tighten the support ropes
                  to raise my hammock and make room for his. This greatly increases the
                  forces on the support ropes and structural ridgeline. (Both hammocks hang
                  from the same points at the ends of the ridgeline.) Add in the extra 70 lb.
                  that the dog weighs for more force. Then consider the occasional need to
                  use trees that are farther apart. My 7/64" amsteel support ropes are cut to
                  handle tree-to-tree separations of up to 25 ft., but I've only been able to
                  use that use that a couple of times, and the tension is scary. (I usually
                  try to do this across a hollow, so I have the benefit of extra height, hence
                  more sag. My question is this: has anyone devised a method of attaching
                  tree huggers higher, possibly using hiking poles or forked sticks? I'd like
                  to be able to easily place my tree huggers about two or three feet higher
                  than I can reach (and retrieve them easily the next morning). I use a
                  hammock because about 25 years ago I lost my ability to sleep soundly on
                  roots and rocks. Somewhere along the way my enthusiasm for shinnying up
                  trees with a strap in my mouth went away, too.

                  database 4510 (20091015) __________

                  http://www.eset.com

                  database 4510 (20091015) __________

                  http://www.eset.com

                  database 4510 (20091015) __________

                  http://www.eset.com

                • Chris Lutz
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                    I'd like to know more about this trip.  Is there another website or something for MAHHA.  I did a quick search and the forums said it was Crampton park not Gathland.  Maybe last year though not current.  Can someone help me out?  Would love to attend. Thanks.

                    Chris Lutz
                    Sign up for online personal training
                    www.spartafitnesstraining.com

                    ________________________________

                    Posted by: "ratsmouth@aol. com" ratsmouth@aol. com holliscbarton
                    Date: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:03 pm ((PDT))

                    I'd be interested in seeing answers to this question as well. Getting
                    enough "altitude" seems to be my main problem when it comes to hanging
                    my hammock. I'm 5'8" tall and have a tough time getting the tree
                    huggers high enough on the tree to get my butt off the ground.

                    Ratty

                    http://clk.atdmt com/GBL/go/ 177141665/ direct/01/

                  • David
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                      Thanks, Lori. That's encouraging. I was thinking that something like that might work. I often hang from Beech trees, and with their smooth bark, the tree huggers can slide down if they're not under tension or wrapped around a few times and tied in place with separate lines. I was wondering about using two trekking poles, one to pass one end of the strap around the tree and the other to retrieve it through the loop on the other end of the strap so it could be cinched tight before it slips down. I'd need to hold the strap with the first pole until it could be "grabbed" by the second one. I'm not sure of the mechanisms for "holding" and "releasing" and "grabbing" but my first attempt will probably involve a patch of loop velcro sewn to one end of the strap and a patch of sticky hook velcro applied to each pole. Wish me luck; the first attempts are bound to be comical. I also looked at commercial reacher/grabber/pickup tools, but I'd rather use a pole I'm already carrying for stream crossings. Incidentally, the other day I discovered that hiking sticks can replace the tie-outs for left-shoulder and right knee locations on the hammock. Jam the point of the stick in the ground under the hammock and angle it upward at 45 degrees so you can attach the handle strap to the tie-out point. The pole pivots a bit at the ground, but the tension keeps it pushing out and up on the hammock edge. The resultant sleeping surface is as flat as a bridge hammock. (The two poles pushing in opposite directions at the head and foot of the hammock function a lot like the struts in Bucky Fuller's tensegrity prisms.) Thanks again for your input. You have given me the courage to forge ahead on yet another wild scheme...
                      David

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "lpon2000" <lorister@...> wrote:

                      > The further apart the trees are, the higher you have to get the suspension on the trees. I use the point of a trekking pole to lift and raise the straps on the trunk of the tree. An extensible trekking pole is useful as a porch strut for the tarp as well. The straps are generally loose enough on the trunk when there is no weight in the hammock. I have also used trees with a lot of small branches - put the tip of the pole in the biner or loop and shove it through high branches.
                      >
                      > Lori
                      > > .

                    • David
                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Goller" <jerrygoller@...> wrote:

                        > I have to admit, I'm mildly mystified by this thread. What straps and cord
                        > material are you all using? I'm not getting *that* much sag on my hammock
                        > when I get in it.
                        >
                        > Jerry

                        Jerry,
                        Ratty has a different problem from mine. I suspect he's using rope or straps that stretch. I use 7/64" amsteel with a structural ridgeline and dacron straps. In cold weather I need to hang my hammock higher than usual to leave room for my dog's insulated hammock underneath because he has no winter coat to keep him warm. Do you know how many times a dog stands up and turns around during the night? He bumps into my butt. (I think it bothers him more than it does me.) Life was simpler with my previous pack-dog; she would happily curl up on snowy ground and bury her nose in her tail.
                        David
                      • Jerry Goller
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                          Ah, that is different. My cords are Dyneema, my straps are 2" poly strap,
                          and I use modified large Nite Ize Figure Nines on my hammocks.

                          Jerry

                          reviews and tests on the planet.

                          > I have to admit, I'm mildly mystified by this thread. What straps and
                          > cord material are you all using? I'm not getting *that* much sag on my
                          > hammock when I get in it.
                          >
                          > Jerry

                          Jerry,
                          Ratty has a different problem from mine. I suspect he's using rope or straps
                          that stretch. I use 7/64" amsteel with a structural ridgeline and dacron
                          straps. In cold weather I need to hang my hammock higher than usual to leave
                          room for my dog's insulated hammock underneath because he has no winter coat
                          to keep him warm. Do you know how many times a dog stands up and turns
                          around during the night? He bumps into my butt. (I think it bothers him more
                          than it does me.) Life was simpler with my previous pack-dog; she would
                          happily curl up on snowy ground and bury her nose in her tail.
                          David

                          database 4511 (20091015) __________

                          http://www.eset.com

                          database 4511 (20091015) __________

                          http://www.eset.com
                        • Tom Frazier
                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                            I use the 1" wide climbing straps (got mine at REI) along with a cinch-buckle for the straps and I sewed a loop at the end of the cord and attached a climbing-rated carabiner for a quick-connect/quick-release set up. I don't get any stretch either. I did when I used the old poly cords that came with my older claytor hammock...those stretched like undersized socks on a giant!

                            Tom

                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                              They must have been nylon, then. Poly doesn't, for all practical purposes,
                              stretch.

                              Jerry

                              reviews and tests on the planet.

                              The further apart the trees are, the higher you have to get the suspension
                              on the trees. I use the point of a trekking pole to lift and raise the
                              straps on the trunk of the tree. An extensible trekking pole is useful as
                              porch strut for the tarp as well. The straps are generally loose enough on
                              the trunk when there is no weight in the hammock. I have also used trees
                              with a lot of small branches - put the tip of the pole in the biner or
                              loop
                              and shove it through high branches.

                              Lori

                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David" <delliott78@...> wrote:

                              > I have recently revisited Dave Womble's excellent files on the forces on
                              hammock suspensions and ridgelines here:

                              > I like to hang my dog's hammock under mine, so I tighten the support
                              ropes
                              to raise my hammock and make room for his. This greatly increases the
                              forces on the support ropes and structural ridgeline. (Both hammocks hang
                              from the same points at the ends of the ridgeline.) Add in the extra 70
                              lb.
                              that the dog weighs for more force. Then consider the occasional need to
                              use trees that are farther apart. My 7/64" amsteel support ropes are cut
                              handle tree-to-tree separations of up to 25 ft., but I've only been able
                              use that use that a couple of times, and the tension is scary. (I usually
                              try to do this across a hollow, so I have the benefit of extra height,
                              hence
                              more sag. My question is this: has anyone devised a method of attaching
                              tree huggers higher, possibly using hiking poles or forked sticks? I'd
                              like
                              to be able to easily place my tree huggers about two or three feet higher
                              than I can reach (and retrieve them easily the next morning). I use a
                              hammock because about 25 years ago I lost my ability to sleep soundly on
                              roots and rocks. Somewhere along the way my enthusiasm for shinnying up
                              trees with a strap in my mouth went away, too.

                              signature
                              database 4510 (20091015) __________

                              http://www.eset.com

                              signature
                              database 4510 (20091015) __________

                              http://www.eset.com

                              signature
                              database 4510 (20091015) __________

                              http://www.eset.com

                              database 4511 (20091015) __________

                              http://www.eset.com

                              database 4511 (20091015) __________

                              http://www.eset.com
                            • ratsmouth@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                                Mine's a HH - the big ol' honkin' one. I use Tree Huggers and the cord
                                that came with the hammock. The first time I put it up, the trees were
                                pretty close together. I had maybe a foot of cord extending out from
                                the tree on each end of the hammock. No problem, although it still
                                rode fairly low. I tied it off about 6' up the trees. It worked for
                                the couple of nights I was there, and it didn't stretch or sag once it
                                was up. I really don't think it's a question of stretching cords, but
                                of distance between trees.

                                The next time I set up the hammock, the trees were probably 20'-25'
                                apart. Getting the Tree Huggers high enough was a struggle, and there
                                was just too much "give", so I still ended up with my butt on the
                                ground when I got into it.

                                Also, the HH has quite a bit of natural "give" to it so you can lie
                                flatter once you're inside. I'm going to figure this out because I
                                loved the first couple of nights I slept in my hammock, and I really
                                would like to make this my first choice in shelters.

                                Getting to MD is not a possibility. Getting ANYWHERE right now is not
                                a possibility. But thanks for the offer of hands-on help.

                                BTW, y'all.....Ratty's a girl.

                                Ratty
                              • Jerry Goller
                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                                  Most of my hammocks are HH. The one I'm working with now is the new double
                                  bottomed one. I don't remember the name. The tree huggers from Hennessey are
                                  made of nylon. They not only will stretch, and stretch even more when wet,
                                  but they also don't grab slick trees, like the aspens we have here, all that
                                  well. Most of the time I carry 10' straps but I also have 20' straps for
                                  when I go to northern Oregon or Washington state.

                                  If you are using a lashing similar to the one HH shows I've found it best to
                                  lay in the hammock for a minute then get out and retighten it. That is one
                                  of the reasons I went to the Figure 9... I hate knots and I'm not all that
                                  big of a fan of lashing.

                                  database 4512 (20091015) __________

                                  http://www.eset.com

                                  database 4512 (20091015) __________

                                  http://www.eset.com

                                  database 4512 (20091015) __________

                                  http://www.eset.com
                                • ratsmouth@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                                    I don't think the Tree Huggers stretched at all. They were wrapped
                                    once around the trees, with very little left over to tie to. I'll just
                                    have to look for trees that are closer together.
                                  • Jerry Goller
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                                      They are nylon. Trust me, they stretch. They can stretch up to 25% of their
                                      original length. Tom (Hennessey) is well aware of this. The reason he went
                                      to Dyneema cord is over stretch and strength.

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Oct 15, 2009
                                        Yup, looked them up...they were 12 foot lengths of nylon cord. Stretched like rubber-man on "the rack".

                                        Tom

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
                                          Hi, Chris-

                                          I doubt there is a MAHHA website. Another hammock camper, inspired by Ed's SE hammocker gathering, threw out invitations and the loose association was born. They have met several times, maybe each spring and fall for two to four years. It is a bit of a trip for me, so I've not made many. The confusion as to where, is that Crampton Gap is within Maryland's Gathland State Park. So, if you are finding the meeting place from the AT, look for Crampton Gap. If you are driving, look up Gathland State Park. Either head for the shelter and water source from the Trail, or park at the big lot and head up the blue-blazed trail towards the AT to find the group. If you make plans ahead, someone might meet you in the lot to help you find your way, or at least let you know if anyone plans to put out extra flagging tape to help mark it.

                                          Don't know if all the plans will be the same, but in the past, the organizer has invited some gear manufacturers to come or donate items for a raffle, some DIY demos have been presented, and Saturday night thre was a group cookout. Everyone chipped in to help pay for the food and defray costs of the shelter rental, when someone reserved it. No promises as to whether or not anyone has done the legwork for this event. I've done it for other gatherings, and know it can be very time consuming. I have also seen a sort of a "yard sale" at which people sold off used gear. Again, I don't know if plans include this.

                                          Regards,

                                          Rosaleen

                                          MAHHA
                                          Posted by: "Chris Lutz" chrislutz25@... chrislutz25

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
                                            Stretch is relative to multiple factors - the material, the weave, the length under load, and the strength (load capacity) of the rope/strap being used. All these factors determine the amount of stretch a user will get. Also how a material is treated by the manufacturer in manufacturing and how a material is treated by the end user in use.

                                            "poly" says nothing Used here it is a consumer abbreviation for a group of materials plastics rope fabric... Be specific, polyester or polypropylene. All have materials by end use manufacturer have different characteristics - abrasion, stretch, chemical, UV, resistance to name a few.

                                            SapereAude,

                                            Arye P. Rubenstein

                                            ________________________________

                                            http://www.Backpack GearTest. org : the most comprehensive interactive gear

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
                                              True. Polypropylene is what I use most.

                                              Jerry

                                              reviews and tests on the planet.

                                              The further apart the trees are, the higher you have to get the suspension
                                              on the trees. I use the point of a trekking pole to lift and raise the
                                              straps on the trunk of the tree. An extensible trekking pole is useful as a
                                              porch strut for the tarp as well. The straps are generally loose enough on
                                              the trunk when there is no weight in the hammock. I have also used trees
                                              with a lot of small branches - put the tip of the pole in the biner or loop
                                              and shove it through high branches.

                                              Lori

                                              --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, "David" <delliott78@ ...> wrote:

                                              > I have recently revisited Dave Womble's excellent files on the forces
                                              > on
                                              hammock suspensions and ridgelines here:

                                              > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/hammockcam ping/files/ Youngblood%
                                              > 27s/
                                              >
                                              > I like to hang my dog's hammock under mine, so I tighten the support
                                              ropes
                                              to raise my hammock and make room for his. This greatly increases the forces
                                              on the support ropes and structural ridgeline. (Both hammocks hang from the
                                              same points at the ends of the ridgeline.) Add in the extra 70 lb.
                                              that the dog weighs for more force. Then consider the occasional need to use
                                              trees that are farther apart. My 7/64" amsteel support ropes are cut to
                                              handle tree-to-tree separations of up to 25 ft., but I've only been able to
                                              use that use that a couple of times, and the tension is scary. (I usually
                                              try to do this across a hollow, so I have the benefit of extra height, hence
                                              more sag. My question is this: has anyone devised a method of attaching tree
                                              huggers higher, possibly using hiking poles or forked sticks? I'd like to be
                                              able to easily place my tree huggers about two or three feet higher than I
                                              can reach (and retrieve them easily the next morning). I use a hammock
                                              because about 25 years ago I lost my ability to sleep soundly on roots and
                                              rocks. Somewhere along the way my enthusiasm for shinnying up trees with a
                                              strap in my mouth went away, too.

                                              database 4510 (20091015) __________

                                              http://www.eset. com

                                              database 4510 (20091015) __________

                                              http://www.eset. com

                                              database 4510 (20091015) __________

                                              http://www.eset. com

                                              database 4511 (20091015) __________

                                              http://www.eset. com

                                              database 4511 (20091015) __________

                                              http://www.eset. com

                                              database 4515 (20091016) __________

                                              http://www.eset.com
                                            • paulkaercher
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
                                              • Arye P. R.
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
                                                  and Polypropylene is the almost the worst to use in the yard and exposed to SUN and weather. It will fail much faster than nylon or polyester given the same factors. Amsteel, Dacron, Dyneema, Mylar, KRYPTON-D etc. are all BRANDS and blends of polyester and/or UHMPE (UHMWPE) Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene Ropes which are more expensive but give the best performance for hammocking over time. A polyester product is the way to go for us.

                                                  for more types of rope/line than you will ever need see the following sites.
                                                  They also have good charts spelling out strength and stretch factore of most ropes
                                                  <http://www.cbknot.com/CommercialFishing.htm>
                                                  <http://www.cbknot.com/recreationalmarine.htm>

                                                  SapereAude,

                                                  Arye P. Rubenstein

                                                  ________________________________

                                                  ____________ _________ _________ __

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Oct 16, 2009
                                                    True, but none of those come in 2" webbing, as far as I know. Considering
                                                    that I have some straps that are 3 or 4 years old, and it would cost me
                                                    about $10 a year, max, to replace them every year, I don't think I'll bother
                                                    looking for any of those in 2" webbing..... ;o) Polypro is inexpensive,
                                                    light, hydrophobic, and doesn't stretch.

                                                    I'm not really concerned about over time, just this season.

                                                    Worrying about long lasting ropes reminded me of one time when I was living
                                                    on South Padre Island, TX. Backpacking is pretty much unheard of in South
                                                    Texas. I was at the dumpster at my apartment. I was tossing about $2,000.00
                                                    worth of packs away. There was nothing wrong with them. They were in great
                                                    shape. But they had all outlived their usefulness to me. They were too heavy
                                                    and/or not as comfortable as more modern packs. There was no one to give
                                                    them to. All I could think of as I tossed those packs in the dumpster was
                                                    all that weight in over-engineering and money I had wasted on those packs.
                                                    They were replaced with better, lighter packs long before they wore out.

                                                    When Wayne Gregory was designing the Z-Pack he called me for advice on light
                                                    weight packs. I kiddingly told him that the perfect long distance pack for,
                                                    say the AT, would be one that as I raised my arms in victory on Katadyn
                                                    would fall apart. That way I'd know I hadn't carried one single ounce of
                                                    pack I didn't need for those 2100 miles.

                                                    I don't plan on leaving my gear for posterity. As long as it lasts one
                                                    season, and does exactly what I want it to do, I'm happy. I can't ever
                                                    remember actually wearing a piece of backpacking gear out in 55+ years of
                                                    backpacking.

                                                    database 4516 (20091016) __________

                                                    http://www.eset.com