Re: [Hammock Camping] Ed Speer book

  • dp_stickney@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 12, 2009
      Followed the directions to the "T". Everything has worked out well so far for three that we're making.

      Things get expensive when you get to making the tarp with silnylon. My boys and I have loved using them.

      Dave
      Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 12, 2009
        10 ft long and 60 inches wide is what I always used. I got the
        original measurement from Ed. Some later hammocks were made 50 in wide
        to save weight.

        Rick

        On Oct 12, 2009, at 18:59, "Shane" <vsf_public@...> wrote:

        > Anyone know if the measurements in the book are correct for building
        > a Speer Hammock? the measurements are in square yards, and that
        > seems like an awfully lot of fabric.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Shane

      • sawyer7271
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 13, 2009
          I'm 6' tall, and used 3 yards of material for mine. Instead of tying a knot at the end, I whipped the ends, which saves some length. (Details on the two websites below...)

          Checkout the make your own gear links at: imrisk.com and www.tothewoods.net
          There are some great tips and DIY projects there....

          If you don't like sewing silnylon, you can always get a Tyvek tarp. They're cheap (around $15 on ebay) and function reasonably well. (just run it though the washing machine for 1/2 hour or so...) The best part is, you can start big (8x? or 9x?) then cut it all you want until you get the size and shape you really want... (I sewed the speer tarp from the book, but I'm beginning to think I like my 8x8 tyvek better since I can set it up with 2 stakes...)

          Tyvek doesn't pack as small as Sil, and it weighs a bit more, but it's a LOT less work than sewing a tarp, or re-sewing a tarp.

          If I were to do it again, I'd most likely make a catenary cut tarp...

          Best of luck!

          John