Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: California Hammocks

  • Chris Lutz
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 30, 2009
      Has anybody been able to use a guyed post or x- frame successfully.  I tried several DIY designs, but none that could acutally hold my wt.  Ralph, what do you mean by x-frame, anyway?  Thanks.

      Chris Lutz
      Sign up for online personal training
      www.spartafitnesstraining.com

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 1, 2009
        On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Chris Lutz <chrislutz25@...> wrote:

        > Has anybody been able to use a guyed post or x- frame successfully. I
        > tried several DIY designs, but none that could acutally hold my wt. Ralph,
        > what do you mean by x-frame, anyway? Thanks.
        >
        > Chris Lutz

        Rick has some ideas here:

        http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/singlepolehammock.htm

        I'ts on my list of things to develop............

        I intend to prototype with two 6 foot 2X2s crossed about 6 inches from the
        top, then run a single line down to a spiral dog tie out stake.

        After that a single pole with two lines running to the ground.

        Ralph

        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 1, 2009
          I have contemplated a pair of inverted Vs made from 2x4s. One inverted V
          would be placed at each end of the hammock stand on a beach. The Vs
          prevent collapse to the side. To support the ends, it should be possible
          to bury a piece of plywood - or better yet a small "parachute" of 1.9 oz
          ripstop - of sufficient size as an anchor at each end. I have not tested
          this.

          Risk

          Ralph Oborn wrote:
          > On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Chris Lutz <chrislutz25@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Has anybody been able to use a guyed post or x- frame successfully. I
          >> tried several DIY designs, but none that could acutally hold my wt. Ralph,
          >> what do you mean by x-frame, anyway? Thanks.
          >>
          >> Chris Lutz
          >>

          > Rick has some ideas here:
          >
          > http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/singlepolehammock.htm
          >
          > I'ts on my list of things to develop............
          >
          > I intend to prototype with two 6 foot 2X2s crossed about 6 inches from the
          > top, then run a single line down to a spiral dog tie out stake.
          >
          > After that a single pole with two lines running to the ground.
          >

          > Ralph

        • ChuckB
          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 3, 2009
            Might take a look at Byer's Madera stand.

            http://www.byerofmaine.com/amaz-acces_madera.htm

            Chuck

            Rick <ra1@...> wrote:
            > I have contemplated a pair of inverted Vs made from 2x4s.
            One inverted V
          • sharpstik
            Message 5 of 27 , Oct 4, 2009
              $5 for two sticks??!! interesting design, but be aware of the geometry of hammock tension. the anchor better be well screwed into the ground. if you use stakes, they better be hefty. (see my circus stake pic <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/photos/album/185462806/pic/list> ) there could be several hundred lbs of stress on it. likewise for that flimsy railing on the RV it's tied to.
              bill keiser

              > Might take a look at Byer's Madera stand.
              > http://www.byerofmaine.com/amaz-acces_madera.htm
              > Chuck

              > Rick <ra1@> wrote:
              > > I have contemplated a pair of inverted Vs made from 2x4s.
              >> One inverted V
            • ChuckB
              Message 6 of 27 , Oct 4, 2009
                > ... interesting design, but be aware of the geometry of hammock tension. the anchor better be well screwed into the ...

                Indeed. It's well understood and explained in several locations around the net. :)

                Cheers!
                Chuck
              • pattysueanderson
                Message 7 of 27 , Oct 5, 2009
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy" <sandykayak@...> wrote:

                  > I'm always looking for the perfect hammock/tent combo. Is there such a thing? It's easy to take a hammock and a tent when kayak camping.
                  >
                  > sandy in miami
                  >
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "quantum72000" <quantum7@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I recently saw a friend's camping hammock and immediately went out and bought one. I lived in Seattle, so a hammock seemed perfect for the kind of backpacking I was used toâ€"dense forests and mountain streams.
                  > >
                  > > However, last week I moved to San Diego. In my excitement I didn't think very much about what the geography down here would be like. Now that I've arrived I am painfully aware that most of the terrain here consists of sage brush and windy flats.
                  > >
                  > > Has anyone spent time hiking down here? My first impression is that maybe I should swap the hammock for a microlight tent, but maybe there are enough scattered trees to find somewhere to put up a hammock? If anyone has used a hammock down in this region I would be greatly heartened.
                  > >
                  > > -Spencer

                  I just purchased the Lawson tent/hammock and waiting for it to come in the mail. Hope it works, looks cool in the pics. Google it.

                  http://www.cabelas.com/p-0057411518634a.shtml

                  I will let you know.
                  Patty
                • John Coy
                  Message 8 of 27 , Oct 5, 2009
                    I know there's a lot of different opinion, but mine is that to really have the benefits of a tent with your hammock, I think the NX 150 Jungle Hammock, at www.junglehammocks.com is easily the best way to go (though it is also unfortunately quite expensive).

                    If you consider the cost of making lots of modifications, tarps, and under insulation to other brands, then the jungle hammock brand is not all that much more expensive, and you'd have a very difficult time trying to get all the features let alone quality that it offers by making your own modifications, without adding a lot more of weight than the weight of the whole set up of the Clark Jungle Hammock brand.  I hate the high price, but I've tried other systems, and various modifications, and I'm convinced that the junglehammock systems are the best way to go, all things considered.

                    John

                    Message 9 of 27 , Oct 5, 2009
                      Oops, I gave the wrong website.  There is no "s" at the end.  The site for the jungle hammocks is www.junglehammock.com

                      > I'm always looking for the perfect hammock/tent combo. Is there such a thing? It's easy to take a hammock and a tent when kayak camping.

                      > sandy in miami

                      > --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, "quantum72000" <quantum7@> wrote:

                      > > I recently saw a friend's camping hammock and immediately went out and bought one. I lived in Seattle, so a hammock seemed perfect for the kind of backpacking I was used toâ€"dense forests and mountain streams.

                      > > However, last week I moved to San Diego. In my excitement I didn't think very much about what the geography down here would be like. Now that I've arrived I am painfully aware that most of the terrain here consists of sage brush and windy flats.

                      > > Has anyone spent time hiking down here? My first impression is that maybe I should swap the hammock for a microlight tent, but maybe there are enough scattered trees to find somewhere to put up a hammock? If anyone has used a hammock down in this region I would be greatly heartened.

                      > > -Spencer

                      I just purchased the Lawson tent/hammock and waiting for it to come in the mail. Hope it works, looks cool in the pics. Google it.

                      http://www.cabelas com/p-0057411518 634a.shtml

                      I will let you know.

                      Patty

                    • Tom Frazier
                      Message 10 of 27 , Oct 5, 2009
                        Personally, I love the North American model of the Clark Jungle Hammock...and in camou! However, my reason, like many, is that I simply can't afford to shell out that amount of money, so I've got a commercial close with my Claytor (has a double bottom to use with pads) and I've gotten into sewing up hammocks myself. There's relatively no waste because I use just a rectangle of 1.9 oz. ripstop nylon and no-see-um mesh netting. If I wanted pockets on the bottom I'd quite easily sew it on and if I wanted a double bottom I'd just sew two laters of 1.9 oz ripstop nylon instead of just the one with perhaps a hem and a little velcro on one side to hold that pad pocket shut. This would cost me substantially less than a Clark N. American and still give me what I want.

                        As to tarp, I much prefer my Jacks-r-better hammock hut for most activities for it's potential total privacy or my Speer Winter Tarp for general use. Then on nice sunny days where I just need to blend and have shade, but rain isn't really threatening I can bring out my Clark diamond tarp (it poured really bad here yesterday and that tarp leaked---more like absorbed and dispersed the raindrops into the nylon taffeta and when there was just too much rain in one spot the result would be a drop to the interior!). Though, I'm going to get me some 1.1oz. silnylon and sew up a new super small, lightweight diamond tarp for summer use that should be much better than the nylon taffeta and still cheaper than the Clark.

                        I can set any of my hammocks up as a tent. My home-made version was intentionally built with a 'tent mode' capability in mind, but the only thing that really changed was how I rigged the suspension up for the netting, the bottom of the hammock just becomes my ground tarp, my pad would rest inside with me, under my sleeping bag, and all the lines, as well as the tarp itself, are held up with my two trekking poles. I can do this with my Claytor Jungle Hammock as well, but I do prefer my home-made to even the Claytor as I've made mine a little wider and a little longer so I can be more comfy when I rest diagonally on it. Oh, but the N. American is such eye candy!

                        I know there's a lot of different opinion, but mine is that to really have the benefits of a tent with your hammock, I think the NX 150 Jungle Hammock, at www.junglehammocks.com is easily the best way to go (though it is also unfortunately quite expensive).

                        If you consider the cost of making lots of modifications, tarps, and under insulation to other brands, then the jungle hammock brand is not all that much more expensive, and you'd have a very difficult time trying to get all the features let alone quality that it offers by making your own modifications, without adding a lot more of weight than the weight of the whole set up of the Clark Jungle Hammock brand. I hate the high price, but I've tried other systems, and various modifications, and I'm convinced that the junglehammock systems are the best way to go, all things considered.

                        John

                        > I'm always looking for the perfect hammock/tent combo. Is there such a thing? It's easy to take a hammock and a tent when kayak camping.

                        > sandy in miami

                        > --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, "quantum72000" <quantum7@> wrote:

                        > > I recently saw a friend's camping hammock and immediately went out and bought one. I lived in Seattle, so a hammock seemed perfect for the kind of backpacking I was used toâ€"dense forests and mountain streams.

                        > > However, last week I moved to San Diego. In my excitement I didn't think very much about what the geography down here would be like. Now that I've arrived I am painfully aware that most of the terrain here consists of sage brush and windy flats.

                        > > Has anyone spent time hiking down here? My first impression is that maybe I should swap the hammock for a microlight tent, but maybe there are enough scattered trees to find somewhere to put up a hammock? If anyone has used a hammock down in this region I would be greatly heartened.

                        > > -Spencer

                        I just purchased the Lawson tent/hammock and waiting for it to come in the mail. Hope it works, looks cool in the pics. Google it.

                        http://www.cabelas com/p-0057411518 634a.shtml

                        I will let you know.

                        Patty

                      • Sandy
                        Message 11 of 27 , Oct 6, 2009
                          sand/snow anchors: http://www.rei.com/product/725165#

                          sandy in miami

                        • CHRISNIMON@AOL.COM
                          Message 12 of 27 , Oct 7, 2009
                            insulation is by trapped pockets of air. while there is a fine balance, if the air pockets are smaller ( more dense ) there is more material to conduct heat (or cold). just wanted to make sure you thought of that. any way, happy hammocking.

                          • ChuckB
                            Message 13 of 27 , Oct 10, 2009
                              Here's a video of a guy using an inverted Vee. He's prototyping an anchoring method.

                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk8YnPJXtG4

                              Chuck
                              Message 14 of 27 , Oct 10, 2009
                                That looked pretty cool!