heavy hammocker

  • Tom L. Vitti
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 23, 2009
      Hello all,

      I tip the scales at 295lbs...what material choices do I have? I have ed
      speers book (read cover to cover!), and would like to DIY a speer style, but
      I am confused with material type and choices, from what I read I am just on
      the border of supplex and/or cordura, 1.9 ripstop is out, but I heard I can
      double it? I doubt that this would be a lightweight option compared to a
      tarp/groundsheet, but just want to have options...

      Any suggestions???

      Tom

      "I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues"
      Dr. Seuss

      Tom Vitti
      West Islip High School
      1 Lions Path
      West Islip, NY 11795
      631-893-3250
      631-893-3270 (fax)
    • David
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 24, 2009
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tom L. Vitti" <tomvitti@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > I tip the scales at 295lbs...what material choices do I have? I have ed
        > speers book (read cover to cover!), and would like to DIY a speer style, but
        > I am confused with material type and choices, from what I read I am just on
        > the border of supplex and/or cordura, 1.9 ripstop is out, but I heard I can
        > double it? I doubt that this would be a lightweight option compared to a
        > tarp/groundsheet, but just want to have options...
        >
        > Any suggestions???
        >

        > Tom
        >
        > "I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues"
        > Dr. Seuss
        >
        > Tom Vitti
        > West Islip High School
        > 1 Lions Path
        > West Islip, NY 11795
        > 631-893-3250
        > 631-893-3270 (fax)

        Tom,
        My first three hammocks were made with supplex, and it's a very comfortable fabric. Though I'm not heavy, I've had two people and a large dog in a supplex hammock (napping only - I wouldn't spend a night this way) which probably amounted to 325 lbs. I would suggest a two-layer hammock using supplex and 1.9 ripstop. It would be stronger than supplex alone, lighter than cordura, and you'd have the option of trying an insulating pad between the layers, like the Z-hammock.
        David
      • grogthing
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 24, 2009
          Hi, I am a big guy too at 360lbs. I bought a Trek Light Gear hammock it is rated to 450lbs ... it is nice feeling parachute material. I am very happy with it, and so far no failures under my weight.

          Gregory in Nashville

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 24, 2009
            The ENO Hammocks are rated to 400 pounds, I believe. Might be an option, but you'd have to buy the netting separate with that particular system.

            Tom