Re: [Hammock Camping] Byer

  • John White
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 23, 2009
      Also, check out the mosquito hammock ... comes with double layer (open on zipper side) so you can slide your sleeping pad between layers for insulation on cold nights and is $100.00 les than the Clark and Hennessey. I have used it on four backpacking trips and love it. You don't have to sew anything to the bottom of your hammock and you don't have to take spare cloths out of your backpack and stuff into pockets. John

      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 23, 2009
        I have a double layer Blackbird and love it. I just passed my HH off to my nephew.

        From: "Sandy" <sandykayak@...>

        Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 19:07:47
        To: <hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [Hammock Camping] Reviews of Warbonnet's Blackbird Hammock

        Anyone have a Blackbird and care to comment?

        sandy in miami

      • Scot Leibacher
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 23, 2009
          John, Thus far, I have only stored clothes and other gear in the pockets
          and used the D.A.M. for insulation but I was impressed to be comfortable in
          the low 30s with so little effort. In all fairness, the two nights at those
          temps where still, windless nights, however.

          On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 2:21 PM, John Coy <traveling2u@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > a second connection to each tree like the Clark but have not experimented
          > with alternatives on the Clark yet. The snake skins are a great feature on
          > the Hennessey, especially if you are moving camp often (hiking, canoeing or
          > biking)
          > and really makes the next night's setup very quick and easy. I find I have
          > less effort keeping some type of under-insulation in place (pad or mattress)
          > in the Clark then in the Hennessey. For Christmas 2 years ago, my family
          > game me one of the 5' Exped down filled air mattresses. This works really
          > well in the Clark in that it hardly moves at all but the only down side (no
          > pun intended) is that you lay much higher in the Clark and subsequently, my
          > face is very close to the top of the hammock. Okay for me... might be tough
          > on someone a bit claustrophobic.
          >
          > So for what it it worth, these are some of my preferences with each hammock
          > type. Currently, I find I am favoring the Hennessey in warm whether and the
          > Clark when it gets down below 50 degrees. I just find that with the gear I
          > already have, it is earier for me to keep warm in the Clark. So far, I have
          > been into the low 30s quite comfortably. The hardest new trick for this old
          > dog to learn after 40 years of camping was to abandon sleeping inside a
          > sleeping bag in the hammock and using alternative configurations (quilts,
          > etc).
          >
          > --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, John Coy <traveling2u@ ...>
          > wrote:
          >

          > > Pardon me, anyone, but I just wanted to ask if anybody has experience
          > with both
          >
          > > the Hennessy asymetrical cut hammock design, and the Clark Jungle
          >
          > > Hammock systems (I'm looking at the North American, and NX models). I've
          > not been in either, but I do sleep in a Hammock Bliss hammock with sewn in
          > bug netting, and I've experimented with different kinds of insulation..
          >

          > > My question, for anyone with personal experience, is just
          >
          > > how much flatter sleep position is attainable with the asymetrical
          >
          > > Hennesy design over the Clark hammocks? It seems to me that the Clark
          >
          > > hammocks are also a little different than a standard rectangular cut,
          >
          > > but whether they are or not, I'd like to gather all the experience
          >
          > > there is out there as to whether, and how much of a difference it
          >
          > > makes. I like the Clarks pocket system and new insulation, and I would
          > like to get as flat a sleep position as possible. Sleeping diagonally now,
          > I find that probably the lack of support under the knee of an extended leg
          > is the biggest discomfort, other than the challenge regarding finding good
          > lightweight under-insulation system.. I really like the Clark, and I'm
          > leaning that way, but if the Hennesy sleep position is really a dramatic
          > improvement, I might go Hennesy, and keep working on the under insulation
          > system.
          >

          > > Thanks in advance for taking time to pass on your

        • John Coy
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 23, 2009
            thanks for the info.