RE: Hammock Camping Summer and the hammock

  • David Anderson
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 3, 2003
      At 04:50 PM 7/3/2003 -0500, you wrote:
      > > Thanks for reminding me why I love the northwest in
      > > the summer! Most days we never hit 80, even at sea
      > > level. And if I go climb up a few thousand feet I
      > > get to sleep in nice comfortable 40 degree nights.
      >
      >Absolutely. Down here in the muck and the mire, there are certain
      >drawbacks. I wish I could say that it was worth it...
      >
      >There are, of course, more than enough trees to hang hammocks from. There
      >is no tree line until you hit the water, and hiking in February doesn't
      >involve ice storms...
      >
      >Shne

      Yeah, winter weather can be entertaining, that's why I stick with the coast
      in the winter. Summers with a late snowpack are more annoying though. In
      late July most of the trails that went above 5000' at any point still had
      snow. And summer slushy snow is a lot less fun than winter snow and ice.

      As for the trees, I've never had trouble finding trees sinc4e I rarely camp
      above treeline. It's more of a problem with needing 30' tree straps if I'm
      in an old growth area.

      At some point I would like try hanging a hammock over the water from a
      canoe just to claim that I'd done it. The danger is that I'm not always to
      lucid when I wake up in the morning (okay, make that "never") and would
      probably end up as gator bait.

      --
      David Anderson
      Moderator
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 5, 2003
        Short report on the 3-4th trip focused on the padand the temperature.

        My Frau Diane (Newly trail named EllieD) and I did a gentle 6 miles
        in the heat and humidity on Thursday. Set up camp in an approved
        campsite at Zalinsli State Forest, Ohio. Temp 92 degrees. Humidity
        about 90 percent...

        I agree strongly with Shane about one thing, temperature and wind are
        both important, as is humidity.

        By sun down it was down to 86 degrees and we went to the trees. No
        pad. No wind (<5mph) I was able to get to sleep fairly cool and did
        well. About 2 or 3 AM as the temps dropped below 70, My back felt a
        little cool to touch, but I was not cold. EllieD said she had the
        same experience. If it had dropped a few more degrees or if the wind
        had picked up, I would have taken the few seconds it would have taken
        to slide the pad out of my pack and between the two layers of my
        hammock.

        Next day did a fun 10 miles along a forested canyon with many
        waterfalls. That felt good!

        Pics soon, I promise.

        Risk