Re: [Hammock Camping] Byer

  • John White
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 23, 2009
      Also, check out the mosquito hammock ... comes with double layer (open on zipper side) so you can slide your sleeping pad between layers for insulation on cold nights and is $100.00 les than the Clark and Hennessey. I have used it on four backpacking trips and love it. You don't have to sew anything to the bottom of your hammock and you don't have to take spare cloths out of your backpack and stuff into pockets. John

      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 23, 2009
        Thank Sleibacher,
        I really appreciate the benefit of your experience.  Until your reply, I'd not found anyone who'd actually used both hammocks.  I mostly camp in the Uintah's (10K feet), so It's almost always down to 50 degrees overnight where I go.  (In fact, we had a light flurry of snow on an overnight trip in August, thought that's pretty unusual).  I think I'm sold on the Clark now, because it seems the most efficient way for insulating.  I'll miss my ridgeline too, but I think I can add one, and fortunately, I don't generally get to feeling claustrophobic.  By the way, Clark's jungle hammocks have a new model, the NX 150, and 250 that use light poles so there's no need for tying a second set of lines to trees.  I think that's the way I'll go.

        By the way, do you use their z-liner insulation system, or some other unsulation in the pockets, etc.

        Thanks again,
        John

        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 23, 2009
          Anyone have a Blackbird and care to comment?

          sandy in miami
        • Red Roach
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 23, 2009
            I think they are testing them over at www.backpackgeartest.org

            TV
          • Rogene Calkins
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 23, 2009
              Thanks for the tip on using a zizgag stich.
              I; will not stich through the weight beraing for the same reson you
              mentioned jus the under bottom.
              I;ld like ot do the weight bering as I thnk it would help the mattressp
              more comfrotble for me but not wiling tobe dropped on the gournd during the
              night.
              Rogene

              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 23, 2009
                I have an HH UL Explorer, and a Warbonnet Blackbird. There are a few things I like better
                about my Blackbird. First, I seem to have less shoulder squeeze in the Blackbird. I wear a 48-50 jacket, so this may not be an issue with many people. Second, I much prefer the top entry on the Blackbird. Third, I like the handiness of the storage shelf. Fourth, the function of the foot box, while only a piece of extra top fabric, is a great addition that allows confidence to achieve a more asym sleep position.
                Rodney
                Anyone have a Blackbird and care to comment?

                sandy in miami

              • David Ball, RiverJourneys, Inc.
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 23, 2009
                  Folks over on the forum think the BB is the best thing since sliced bread. Lots of positive feedback there. As soon as my resources align, I will be replacing my Claytor JH with one.

                  David

                  David and Cara Lawson-Ball
                  RiverJourneys Inc.

                  `Nice? It's the only thing,' said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke. `Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolute nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing,' he went on dreamily: `messing -- about -- in -- boats; messing -- --

                  Wind in the Willows

                  574-535-3623
                  http://www.riverjourneys.org
                  riverjourneys@...

                  Dedicated to providing our customers personal growth,
                  team building, and leadership development through outdoor adventure.

                  Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
                  Winnie the Pooh

                • dustin1006@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 23, 2009
                    I have a double layer Blackbird and love it. I just passed my HH off to my nephew.

                    From: "Sandy" <sandykayak@...>

                    Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 19:07:47
                    To: <hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com>

                    Anyone have a Blackbird and care to comment?

                    sandy in miami

                  • Scot Leibacher
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 23, 2009
                      John, Thus far, I have only stored clothes and other gear in the pockets
                      and used the D.A.M. for insulation but I was impressed to be comfortable in
                      the low 30s with so little effort. In all fairness, the two nights at those
                      temps where still, windless nights, however.

                      On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 2:21 PM, John Coy <traveling2u@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      >
                      > > Hennesy design over the Clark hammocks? It seems to me that the Clark
                      >
                      > > hammocks are also a little different than a standard rectangular cut,
                      >
                      > > but whether they are or not, I'd like to gather all the experience
                      >
                      > > there is out there as to whether, and how much of a difference it
                      >
                      > > makes. I like the Clarks pocket system and new insulation, and I would
                      > like to get as flat a sleep position as possible. Sleeping diagonally now,
                      > I find that probably the lack of support under the knee of an extended leg
                      > is the biggest discomfort, other than the challenge regarding finding good
                      > lightweight under-insulation system.. I really like the Clark, and I'm
                      > leaning that way, but if the Hennesy sleep position is really a dramatic
                      > improvement, I might go Hennesy, and keep working on the under insulation
                      > system.
                      >

                      > > Thanks in advance for taking time to pass on your

                    • John Coy
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 23, 2009
                        thanks for the info.