Re: [Hammock Camping] Byer

  • Chris Lutz
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 22, 2009
      I bought my Dad a Byer hammock with mosquito netting and he sat on it wrong and pulled the netting away from the zipper.  He wrote them an email and didn't get a response, but a few days later, there was a brand new one on his doorstep.  It's pretty good for cheap and they seem to have pretty good service too.

      Chris Lutz
      Sign up for online personal training
      www.spartafitnesstraining.com

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 22, 2009
        Hennesy had a few new items at trial days this year one included a side
        zipper entrance with a double bottom for adding under insualtion. The
        dispaly had a removeable truck window kind of reflective mat to fit inside
        the double bottom for added warmth.

        I have an older bottom entrance Hennesy with a second
        removeable under bottom to make it a double bottom and super shelter. I
        wiggle a lot in my sleep with restless legs so I'm concidering sewing a
        pocket to the removeable bottom for my expeed down air mattress a friend
        gave me
        and or my Big Agus 3/4 ari mattress I use in summer for cushioning the
        arthrits.

        I'd do this pocket the the main bottom but I'm afraid the stiching would
        weaken the weight bearing fabric. The second bottom works for one large
        under pocket simular to the to the Clark.

        Hennesy also has worked out to one of his Hammocks
        a down instualed under quilt ( may have been Jack's-R-better quilt? offer)
        with that model and added
        triangular shaped removeable ends to the tarp portion for better cold
        weather and rain protection.

        I've seen a hiker with a Clark but have not used one so can't compair apples
        to oranges.

        I haven;t checked their websight to see if they are seling it on line or if
        it was a experinament model for Trail Days
        demonstration. .

        I think today I'd be better off with the side zippered entrance doubble
        bottom Hennesy as my restless legs somtimes open up the bottom entrance
        with my feet during the night letting skeeters inside.

        Rogene
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 23, 2009
          If you sew the bottom of a hammock, know that it will weaken the fabric.
          I have done this, but always use a zigzag stitch. That way, when the
          fabric stretches, the stitch line does not become a stress point.

          Rick

          Rogene Calkins wrote:

          > I'd do this pocket the the main bottom but I'm afraid the stiching would
          > weaken the weight bearing fabric. The second bottom works for one large
          > under pocket simular to the to the Clark.

        • John White
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 23, 2009
            Also, check out the mosquito hammock ... comes with double layer (open on zipper side) so you can slide your sleeping pad between layers for insulation on cold nights and is $100.00 les than the Clark and Hennessey. I have used it on four backpacking trips and love it. You don't have to sew anything to the bottom of your hammock and you don't have to take spare cloths out of your backpack and stuff into pockets. John

            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 23, 2009
              Thank Sleibacher,
              I really appreciate the benefit of your experience.  Until your reply, I'd not found anyone who'd actually used both hammocks.  I mostly camp in the Uintah's (10K feet), so It's almost always down to 50 degrees overnight where I go.  (In fact, we had a light flurry of snow on an overnight trip in August, thought that's pretty unusual).  I think I'm sold on the Clark now, because it seems the most efficient way for insulating.  I'll miss my ridgeline too, but I think I can add one, and fortunately, I don't generally get to feeling claustrophobic.  By the way, Clark's jungle hammocks have a new model, the NX 150, and 250 that use light poles so there's no need for tying a second set of lines to trees.  I think that's the way I'll go.

              By the way, do you use their z-liner insulation system, or some other unsulation in the pockets, etc.

              Thanks again,
              John

              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 23, 2009
                Anyone have a Blackbird and care to comment?

                sandy in miami
              • Red Roach
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 23, 2009
                  I think they are testing them over at www.backpackgeartest.org

                  TV
                • Rogene Calkins
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 23, 2009
                    Thanks for the tip on using a zizgag stich.
                    I; will not stich through the weight beraing for the same reson you
                    mentioned jus the under bottom.
                    I;ld like ot do the weight bering as I thnk it would help the mattressp
                    more comfrotble for me but not wiling tobe dropped on the gournd during the
                    night.
                    Rogene

                    > If you sew the bottom of a hammock, know that it will weaken the fabric.
                    > I have done this, but always use a zigzag stitch. That way, when the
                    > fabric stretches, the stitch line does not become a stress point.
                    >
                    > Rick
                    >
                    > Rogene Calkins wrote:
                    >

                    >> I'd do this pocket the the main bottom but I'm afraid the stiching
                    >> would
                    >> weaken the weight bearing fabric. The second bottom works for one large
                    >> under pocket simular to the to the Clark.

                  • Rodney Diseker
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 23, 2009
                      I have an HH UL Explorer, and a Warbonnet Blackbird. There are a few things I like better
                      about my Blackbird. First, I seem to have less shoulder squeeze in the Blackbird. I wear a 48-50 jacket, so this may not be an issue with many people. Second, I much prefer the top entry on the Blackbird. Third, I like the handiness of the storage shelf. Fourth, the function of the foot box, while only a piece of extra top fabric, is a great addition that allows confidence to achieve a more asym sleep position.
                      Rodney
                      Anyone have a Blackbird and care to comment?

                      sandy in miami

                    • David Ball, RiverJourneys, Inc.
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 23, 2009
                        Folks over on the forum think the BB is the best thing since sliced bread. Lots of positive feedback there. As soon as my resources align, I will be replacing my Claytor JH with one.

                        David

                        David and Cara Lawson-Ball
                        RiverJourneys Inc.

                        `Nice? It's the only thing,' said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke. `Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolute nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing,' he went on dreamily: `messing -- about -- in -- boats; messing -- --

                        Wind in the Willows

                        574-535-3623
                        http://www.riverjourneys.org
                        riverjourneys@...

                        Dedicated to providing our customers personal growth,
                        team building, and leadership development through outdoor adventure.

                        Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
                        Winnie the Pooh

                      • dustin1006@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 23, 2009
                          I have a double layer Blackbird and love it. I just passed my HH off to my nephew.

                          From: "Sandy" <sandykayak@...>

                          Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 19:07:47
                          To: <hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com>

                          Anyone have a Blackbird and care to comment?

                          sandy in miami

                        • Scot Leibacher
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 23, 2009
                            John, Thus far, I have only stored clothes and other gear in the pockets
                            and used the D.A.M. for insulation but I was impressed to be comfortable in
                            the low 30s with so little effort. In all fairness, the two nights at those
                            temps where still, windless nights, however.

                            On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 2:21 PM, John Coy <traveling2u@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            >
                            > > Hennesy design over the Clark hammocks? It seems to me that the Clark
                            >
                            > > hammocks are also a little different than a standard rectangular cut,
                            >
                            > > but whether they are or not, I'd like to gather all the experience
                            >
                            > > there is out there as to whether, and how much of a difference it
                            >
                            > > makes. I like the Clarks pocket system and new insulation, and I would
                            > like to get as flat a sleep position as possible. Sleeping diagonally now,
                            > I find that probably the lack of support under the knee of an extended leg
                            > is the biggest discomfort, other than the challenge regarding finding good
                            > lightweight under-insulation system.. I really like the Clark, and I'm
                            > leaning that way, but if the Hennesy sleep position is really a dramatic
                            > improvement, I might go Hennesy, and keep working on the under insulation
                            > system.
                            >

                            > > Thanks in advance for taking time to pass on your

                          • John Coy
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 23, 2009
                              thanks for the info.