Re: Any Experience to compare Clark NA & NX hammocks to Hennesy Asym

  • sleibacher
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 22, 2009
      John, I have been using a Hennessy for about 3 years and
      have only had a Clark for about 10 months (have only slept in
      it about 7 nights thus far). I am still on the learning curve with the Clark but I find I sleep "flatter" in the Hennessey. I can actually sleep on my side and even on my stomach for several hours
      at a time, in the Hennessey.

      I enjoy many aspects of both hammocks. Just some random thoughts...I find that in the Clark, I pretty much sleep on my back the whole evening. My shoulders and head feel a little more cramped in the Clark but not to a point of discomfort. The Hennessey just feels a little roomier to me. Like you, I like the pockets underneath the Clark and I also like the "storm flaps" that can zip up over the bug netting. I think, like most people, I prefer the top entrance/exit in the Clark to the bottom port of the Hennessey. I use the ridge line in the Hennessey extensively and miss it in the Clark (although it would be simple to set one up). I do prefer the way the rain fly attaches to the ridge line on a Hennessey rather than requiring a second connection to each tree like the Clark but have not experimented with alternatives on the Clark yet. The snake skins are a great feature on the Hennessey, especially if you are moving camp often (hiking, canoeing or biking) and really makes the next night's setup very quick and easy. I find I have less effort keeping some type of under-insulation in place (pad or mattress) in the Clark then in the Hennessey. For Christmas 2 years ago, my family game me one of the 5' Exped down filled air mattresses. This works really well in the Clark in that it hardly moves at all but the only down side (no pun intended) is that you lay much higher in the Clark and subsequently, my face is very close to the top of the hammock. Okay for me... might be tough on someone a bit claustrophobic.

      So for what it it worth, these are some of my preferences with each hammock type. Currently, I find I am favoring the Hennessey in warm whether and the Clark when it gets down below 50 degrees. I just find that with the gear I already have, it is earier for me to keep warm in the Clark. So far, I have been into the low 30s quite comfortably. The hardest new trick for this old dog to learn after 40 years of camping was to abandon sleeping inside a sleeping bag in the hammock and using alternative configurations (quilts, etc).

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, John Coy <traveling2u@...> wrote:

      > Pardon me, anyone, but I just wanted to ask if anybody has experience with both
      > the Hennessy asymetrical cut hammock design, and the Clark Jungle
      > Hammock systems (I'm looking at the North American, and NX models).  I've not been in either, but I do sleep in a Hammock Bliss hammock with sewn in bug netting, and I've experimented with different kinds of insulation.
      >
      > My question, for anyone with personal experience, is just
      > how much flatter sleep position is attainable with the asymetrical
      > Hennesy design over the Clark hammocks?  It seems to me that the Clark
      > hammocks are also a little different than a standard rectangular cut,
      > but whether they are or not, I'd like to gather all the experience
      > there is out there as to whether, and how much of a difference it
      > makes.  I like the Clarks pocket system and new insulation, and I would like to get as flat a sleep position as possible.  Sleeping diagonally now, I find that probably the lack of support under the knee of an extended leg is the biggest discomfort, other than the challenge regarding finding good lightweight under-insulation system..  I really like the Clark, and I'm leaning that way, but if the Hennesy sleep position is really a dramatic improvement, I might go Hennesy, and keep working on the under insulation system.
      >
      > Thanks in advance for taking time to pass on your
      > experience.

    • Chris Lutz
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 22, 2009
        I bought my Dad a Byer hammock with mosquito netting and he sat on it wrong and pulled the netting away from the zipper.  He wrote them an email and didn't get a response, but a few days later, there was a brand new one on his doorstep.  It's pretty good for cheap and they seem to have pretty good service too.

        Chris Lutz
        Sign up for online personal training
        www.spartafitnesstraining.com

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 22, 2009
          Hennesy had a few new items at trial days this year one included a side
          zipper entrance with a double bottom for adding under insualtion. The
          dispaly had a removeable truck window kind of reflective mat to fit inside
          the double bottom for added warmth.

          I have an older bottom entrance Hennesy with a second
          removeable under bottom to make it a double bottom and super shelter. I
          wiggle a lot in my sleep with restless legs so I'm concidering sewing a
          pocket to the removeable bottom for my expeed down air mattress a friend
          gave me
          and or my Big Agus 3/4 ari mattress I use in summer for cushioning the
          arthrits.

          I'd do this pocket the the main bottom but I'm afraid the stiching would
          weaken the weight bearing fabric. The second bottom works for one large
          under pocket simular to the to the Clark.

          Hennesy also has worked out to one of his Hammocks
          a down instualed under quilt ( may have been Jack's-R-better quilt? offer)
          with that model and added
          triangular shaped removeable ends to the tarp portion for better cold
          weather and rain protection.

          I've seen a hiker with a Clark but have not used one so can't compair apples
          to oranges.

          I haven;t checked their websight to see if they are seling it on line or if
          it was a experinament model for Trail Days
          demonstration. .

          I think today I'd be better off with the side zippered entrance doubble
          bottom Hennesy as my restless legs somtimes open up the bottom entrance
          with my feet during the night letting skeeters inside.

          Rogene
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 23, 2009
            If you sew the bottom of a hammock, know that it will weaken the fabric.
            I have done this, but always use a zigzag stitch. That way, when the
            fabric stretches, the stitch line does not become a stress point.

            Rick

            Rogene Calkins wrote:

            > I'd do this pocket the the main bottom but I'm afraid the stiching would
            > weaken the weight bearing fabric. The second bottom works for one large
            > under pocket simular to the to the Clark.

          • John White
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 23, 2009
              Also, check out the mosquito hammock ... comes with double layer (open on zipper side) so you can slide your sleeping pad between layers for insulation on cold nights and is $100.00 les than the Clark and Hennessey. I have used it on four backpacking trips and love it. You don't have to sew anything to the bottom of your hammock and you don't have to take spare cloths out of your backpack and stuff into pockets. John

              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 23, 2009
                Thank Sleibacher,
                I really appreciate the benefit of your experience.  Until your reply, I'd not found anyone who'd actually used both hammocks.  I mostly camp in the Uintah's (10K feet), so It's almost always down to 50 degrees overnight where I go.  (In fact, we had a light flurry of snow on an overnight trip in August, thought that's pretty unusual).  I think I'm sold on the Clark now, because it seems the most efficient way for insulating.  I'll miss my ridgeline too, but I think I can add one, and fortunately, I don't generally get to feeling claustrophobic.  By the way, Clark's jungle hammocks have a new model, the NX 150, and 250 that use light poles so there's no need for tying a second set of lines to trees.  I think that's the way I'll go.

                By the way, do you use their z-liner insulation system, or some other unsulation in the pockets, etc.

                Thanks again,
                John

> [...]

                > Hennesy design over the Clark hammocks?  It seems to me that the Clark

                > hammocks are also a little different than a standard rectangular cut,

                > but whether they are or not, I'd like to gather all the experience

                > there is out there as to whether, and how much of a difference it

                > makes.  I like the Clarks pocket system and new insulation, and I would like to get as flat a sleep position as possible.  Sleeping diagonally now, I find that probably the lack of support under the knee of an extended leg is the biggest discomfort, other than the challenge regarding finding good lightweight under-insulation system..  I really like the Clark, and I'm leaning that way, but if the Hennesy sleep position is really a dramatic improvement, I might go Hennesy, and keep working on the under insulation system.

                > Thanks in advance for taking time to pass on your

              • Sandy
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 23, 2009
                  Anyone have a Blackbird and care to comment?

                  sandy in miami
                • Red Roach
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 23, 2009
                    I think they are testing them over at www.backpackgeartest.org

                    TV
                  • Rogene Calkins
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 23, 2009
                      Thanks for the tip on using a zizgag stich.
                      I; will not stich through the weight beraing for the same reson you
                      mentioned jus the under bottom.
                      I;ld like ot do the weight bering as I thnk it would help the mattressp
                      more comfrotble for me but not wiling tobe dropped on the gournd during the
                      night.
                      Rogene

                      > If you sew the bottom of a hammock, know that it will weaken the fabric.
                      > I have done this, but always use a zigzag stitch. That way, when the
                      > fabric stretches, the stitch line does not become a stress point.
                      >
                      > Rick
                      >
                      > Rogene Calkins wrote:
                      >

                      >> I'd do this pocket the the main bottom but I'm afraid the stiching
                      >> would
                      >> weaken the weight bearing fabric. The second bottom works for one large
                      >> under pocket simular to the to the Clark.

                    • Rodney Diseker
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 23, 2009
                        I have an HH UL Explorer, and a Warbonnet Blackbird. There are a few things I like better
                        about my Blackbird. First, I seem to have less shoulder squeeze in the Blackbird. I wear a 48-50 jacket, so this may not be an issue with many people. Second, I much prefer the top entry on the Blackbird. Third, I like the handiness of the storage shelf. Fourth, the function of the foot box, while only a piece of extra top fabric, is a great addition that allows confidence to achieve a more asym sleep position.
                        Rodney
                        Anyone have a Blackbird and care to comment?

                        sandy in miami

                      • David Ball, RiverJourneys, Inc.
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 23, 2009
                          Folks over on the forum think the BB is the best thing since sliced bread. Lots of positive feedback there. As soon as my resources align, I will be replacing my Claytor JH with one.

                          David

                          David and Cara Lawson-Ball
                          RiverJourneys Inc.

                          `Nice? It's the only thing,' said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke. `Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolute nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing,' he went on dreamily: `messing -- about -- in -- boats; messing -- --

                          Wind in the Willows

                          574-535-3623
                          http://www.riverjourneys.org
                          riverjourneys@...

                          Dedicated to providing our customers personal growth,
                          team building, and leadership development through outdoor adventure.

                          Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
                          Winnie the Pooh

                        • dustin1006@yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 23, 2009
                            I have a double layer Blackbird and love it. I just passed my HH off to my nephew.

                            From: "Sandy" <sandykayak@...>

                            Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 19:07:47
                            To: <hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com>

                            Anyone have a Blackbird and care to comment?

                            sandy in miami

                          • Scot Leibacher
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 23, 2009
                              John, Thus far, I have only stored clothes and other gear in the pockets
                              and used the D.A.M. for insulation but I was impressed to be comfortable in
                              the low 30s with so little effort. In all fairness, the two nights at those
                              temps where still, windless nights, however.

                              On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 2:21 PM, John Coy <traveling2u@...> wrote:

> [...]
                              >
                              > > Hennesy design over the Clark hammocks? It seems to me that the Clark
                              >
                              > > hammocks are also a little different than a standard rectangular cut,
                              >
                              > > but whether they are or not, I'd like to gather all the experience
                              >
                              > > there is out there as to whether, and how much of a difference it
                              >
                              > > makes. I like the Clarks pocket system and new insulation, and I would
                              > like to get as flat a sleep position as possible. Sleeping diagonally now,
                              > I find that probably the lack of support under the knee of an extended leg
                              > is the biggest discomfort, other than the challenge regarding finding good
                              > lightweight under-insulation system.. I really like the Clark, and I'm
                              > leaning that way, but if the Hennesy sleep position is really a dramatic
                              > improvement, I might go Hennesy, and keep working on the under insulation
                              > system.
                              >

                              > > Thanks in advance for taking time to pass on your

                            • John Coy
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 23, 2009
                                thanks for the info.