Re: Cold weather, warm dog

  • Sandy
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 22, 2009
      I've had my chihuahua with me for afternoon snoozes but have never heard of a dog in a solo hammock...I've heard of a bear in a hammock

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rxNJPR94u0

      which led me to a bear on a trampoline!!

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa1pIO4_lUY&NR=1

      Sorry, I know this is going OT, but at least we've livened up the forum a bit.

      sandy in miami

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "d2aisy2000" <delliott78@...> wrote:

      > My current backpacking dog doesn't have a thick coat, and I'm not wild about having a cold, wet dog join me in the hammock, so I made an insulated dog hammock that hangs below mine. I found I needed tie-outs on both sides to keep it from moving as he steps into it, but otherwise it has proven pretty successful. (When I met Ed at Traildays, I recall he said he'd been asked for a solution to the problem of poorly-insulated dogs before.) The insulation is patterned after the method I devised for my own hammock: a hybrid of Climashield and down. The climashield is quilted to the bottom cover and has baffles that are held against the underside of the hammock by shock cords. The down is held in place by the baffles, but can be shifted by loosening the shock cords. Two aspects of this plan need careful consideration. (1) The bottom cover needs to be the right shape to hang close to the hammock (although the elastic baffles help correct for small gaps), and (2) the dog needs to be introduced to the hammock with great sensitivity. Mine was already used to sleeping on a pad under my hammock, so I hung his hammock very loosely so it lay directly on the pad. As he got used to it, I started tightening up the end ropes a little bit at a time, over a course of a week or more. Eventually his hammock was high enough that when he stepped into it, it didn't make contact with the ground. Side tie-outs are essential at this point so the hammock doesn't move away from him when he first puts his foot down.
      > Credits: Thanks to JustJeff for sharing notes on his "bag of feathers"
      > and also his aversion to feeling baffles sewn directly to his hammock. Also to whoever posted info on Karo step baffles for quilts.
      > Big thanks to Bonaparte (the dog) who carries 15 pounds on all my outings.
      > David

    • Corbett House
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 22, 2009
        Looks like Bonaparte is also acting as a portable heater. Does the front of
        his hammock zip closed?

        _____

        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 23, 2009
          Great subject. I haven't tried hammock camping yet because I couldn't decide on which hammock to purchase as my 9# Yorkie some times goes with me. He sleeps with me in the tent some times in my bag other times beside me on my down jacket. I like the Hennessy but worry he would fall out of the opening in the bottom and the possibility of rolling over on him. Also considered the Lawson,because it seems more flat, but it is not as highly recommended as the Hennessy.
          Good to know I'm not alone out there hammock camping with my dog.
          Perry
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Corbett House" <cahouse@...> wrote:

          > Looks like Bonaparte is also acting as a portable heater. Does the front of
          > his hammock zip closed?
          >
          > _____

        • Carey Parks
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 23, 2009
            The dog wouldn't fall out the slit once you are in it. If only the dog were
            in it, then he could. You don't roll around in a proper hammock. Once you
            are situated that is. Arrange things and off to dreamland until morning. The
            dog would end up sleeping on you, not next to you. Next to you becomes
            nearly vertical walls. Keep the nails clipped and not sharp.

            On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 4:30 PM, PERRY <churchillperry@...> wrote:

            > Great subject. I haven't tried hammock camping yet because I couldn't
            > decide on which hammock to purchase as my 9# Yorkie some times goes with me.
            > He sleeps with me in the tent some times in my bag other times beside me on
            > my down jacket. I like the Hennessy but worry he would fall out of the
            > opening in the bottom and the possibility of rolling over on him. Also
            > considered the Lawson,because it seems more flat, but it is not as highly
            > recommended as the Hennessy.
            > Good to know I'm not alone out there hammock camping with my dog.
            > Perry
            > "Corbett House" <cahouse@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Looks like Bonaparte is also acting as a portable heater. Does the front
            > of
            > > his hammock zip closed?
            > >
            > > _____

          • Rogene Calkins
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 23, 2009
              Don;t count on not rolling around I found myself entrapped in a hennesy
              lying supported on top of the skeeter netting and could not find my way to
              the opening the twisted above me. One of the side tie down stakes had come
              out of the ground allowing me to twist it to nearly upside down. I had to
              go pee now and could not get out. My husband was with me decided there was
              too much tension to drop the hammock with me inside unless he cut the ropes.
              He deiced to life up my body with his bad back?? to where I could wiggle
              back to the proper bottom then I could get out. The only other way was to
              cut me out of there. I have restless legs in my sleep so can end up in all
              sorts of shapes. One reason for me in a Henensy was to ensure I would not
              wiggle my way to fall out. I was surprised the netting held my weight.
              Way to go Tom Hennesy! your hammock sure are strong to support me and my
              night twisting.

              Rogene

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 23, 2009
                Try a Risk Test hammock as a prototype (Make your own for about $10.00)
                to see how it will work with you and your dog

                Ralph

                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 24, 2009
                  I really like it when I get mentioned in these conversations! It makes
                  all the work I did a couple years ago worthwhile.

                  Risk

                • Troy Eckhardt
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 24, 2009
                    Risk, you're a legend and one of my minor heroes! I have not slept in a
                    tent for several months now. I did settle on a bridge hammock, but I
                    referred and still refer to your work. Thank you for all you have done for
                    us hangers.

                    Troy

                    On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 8:53 AM, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:

                    > I really like it when I get mentioned in these conversations! It makes
                    > all the work I did a couple years ago worthwhile.
                    >
                    > Risk

                  • Carey Parks
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 24, 2009
                      While we are patting Risk on the back, let me add that his work on one-tree
                      hangs has allowed me to fearlessly paddle out into the Everglades armed only
                      with my hammock secure in the knowledge that if push comes to shove I can
                      hang from one mangrove tree and my wooden Greenland paddle. I'll need to
                      bury a deadman in the beach really deep to take the pull, but it will work
                      in a pinch. Better than going to the ground anyway.

                      On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 9:02 AM, Troy Eckhardt
                      <TRex.YahooGroups@...>wrote:

                      > Risk, you're a legend and one of my minor heroes! I have not slept in a
                      > tent for several months now. I did settle on a bridge hammock, but I
                      > referred and still refer to your work. Thank you for all you have done for
                      > us hangers.
                      >
                      > Troy
                      >
                      > On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 8:53 AM, Rick <ra1@... <ra1%40imrisk.com>>
                      > wrote:
                      >

                      > > I really like it when I get mentioned in these conversations! It makes
                      > > all the work I did a couple years ago worthwhile.
                      > >
                      > > Risk

                    • Sandy
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 24, 2009
                        I have an el cheapo Byer of Maine Moskito Traveler. I used my HH once and gave it away...did not like the bottom entry. with my hammock, you can just flip it over if you don't need the mosquito netting.

                        My 6 lb chihuahua has napped in there with me...he just curls up wherever he wants...he's a burrower, but sometimes sort of curls himself around the top of my head, so i throw a fleece blankie over him.

                        sandy in miami

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "PERRY" <churchillperry@...> wrote:

                        > Great subject. I haven't tried hammock camping yet because I couldn't decide on which hammock to purchase as my 9# Yorkie some times goes with me. He sleeps with me in the tent some times in my bag other times beside me on my down jacket. I like the Hennessy but worry he would fall out of the opening in the bottom and the possibility of rolling over on him. Also considered the Lawson,because it seems more flat, but it is not as highly recommended as the Hennessy.
                        > Good to know I'm not alone out there hammock camping with my dog.
                        > Perry
                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Corbett House" <cahouse@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Looks like Bonaparte is also acting as a portable heater. Does the front of
                        > > his hammock zip closed?
                        > >
                        > > _____

                      • David
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 24, 2009
                          No, so far I haven't enclosed the front of his dog hammock, but that may come. One reason I started working on a dog hammock was to give him a warm, dry place to sleep. Another reason was to let me pitch my hammock on a slope or over rocks and logs. I have camped in places where there was no flat place big enough for a dog to lie down. I have learned that if possible, it's best to leave at least part of Bonaparte's hammock in contact with the ground - he doesn't like motion. But on a slope I can lift the downhill end of his hammock, and it keeps him from sliding downhill and partially wraps him with insulation. If it's cold enough, he will spend all night in a fully suspended hammock. YDMD (Your dog may differ.) When he sleeps directly under me, I think there is some shared warmth, but there would be more if I had a hammock sock or tent covering both of us. He sometimes benefits because the down insulation on the bottom of my hammock can hang low enough to rest on his back. Unfortunately, dogs tend to get up and turn around a number of times during the night, and he appears to dislike having something above him that he bumps into (namely me).

                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Corbett House" <cahouse@...> wrote:

                          > Looks like Bonaparte is also acting as a portable heater. Does the front of
                          > his hammock zip closed?
                          >
                          > _____

                        • rob mckibben
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 24, 2009
                            If you only knew!!!

                            I have returned to your site many times, as I am sure very many other
                            folk have.

                            You are/were a pioneer, and we appreciate you blazing the trails for us.

                            THANK YOU!!!

                            Rob