Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Is this forum dead?

  • Douglas Campbell
    Message 1 of 45 , Sep 21, 2009
      I use yellow poly rope (3/8" cause it's cheap and light) attached to my
      hammock. I like to take my webbing and wrap it around the trees and tie
      with a square knot. Under that webbing I put the yellow rope, leaving the
      end free (you have to put the webbing on and put the rope under it in one
      step of course). Now I just tie an adjustable grip hitch with the yellow
      rope. I can slide the hitch wherever I want it and it stays. I've never
      had it fail in the night. Yes, you do have to tie it properly and make sure
      it's snug. Also, because it's a friction hitch, if you fall into your
      hammock it will act like a shock absorber, reducing the chance of damaging
      your setup. People are always falling into their hammocks. :o)

      It works for me.

      Doug C.

      On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 8:54 AM, Steven Bronstein <
      steve@...> wrote:

      > The knot Ralph is referring to is sometimes called a Trucker's Hitch and ,
      > agree, it is a great solution.
      >
      > One question I have is that when I wrap around the tree twice when you pull
      > up on the hitch you then have to adjust the strapping that is cinched
      > around
      > the tree to even out the pull and then your hammock adjustment has shifted.
      >
      > I have been trying to come up with a more elegant solution so that you can
      > eliminate the fussing. Adding rings at the hammock loop and using a
      > carabiner around the tree works well but adds more weight.
      >
      > I want to be able to pull till the curve in the hammock is correct and then
      > tie it off and be done.
      >
      > .
      >
      > Steven Bronstein
      >
      > Blackthorne Forge
      >
      > Marshfield, VT 05658
      >
      > phone/fax 802-426-3369
      >
      > www.blackthorneforge.com

    • Jody Weiner
      Message 45 of 45 , Sep 22, 2009
        Are there any hangs like this that happen in the New England area? I've
        love to get a group together for a fall trip.