California Hammocks

  • quantum72000
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 17, 2009
      I recently saw a friend's camping hammock and immediately went out and bought one. I lived in Seattle, so a hammock seemed perfect for the kind of backpacking I was used toâ€"dense forests and mountain streams.

      However, last week I moved to San Diego. In my excitement I didn't think very much about what the geography down here would be like. Now that I've arrived I am painfully aware that most of the terrain here consists of sage brush and windy flats.

      Has anyone spent time hiking down here? My first impression is that maybe I should swap the hammock for a microlight tent, but maybe there are enough scattered trees to find somewhere to put up a hammock? If anyone has used a hammock down in this region I would be greatly heartened.

      -Spencer
    • Sandy
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 22, 2009
        I'm always looking for the perfect hammock/tent combo. Is there such a thing? It's easy to take a hammock and a tent when kayak camping.

        sandy in miami

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "quantum72000" <quantum7@...> wrote:

        > I recently saw a friend's camping hammock and immediately went out and bought one. I lived in Seattle, so a hammock seemed perfect for the kind of backpacking I was used toâ€"dense forests and mountain streams.
        >
        > However, last week I moved to San Diego. In my excitement I didn't think very much about what the geography down here would be like. Now that I've arrived I am painfully aware that most of the terrain here consists of sage brush and windy flats.
        >
        > Has anyone spent time hiking down here? My first impression is that maybe I should swap the hammock for a microlight tent, but maybe there are enough scattered trees to find somewhere to put up a hammock? If anyone has used a hammock down in this region I would be greatly heartened.
        >
        > -Spencer

      • Cara Lin Bridgman
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 24, 2009
          Hi Spencer,

          I decided to try answering your questions because it is a good question
          and I'm disappointed that no one has made a reply in the 6 days since
          you posted.

          Unfortunately, I can't speak for hiking in the desert areas around San
          Diego, much less trying to hang hammocks there. Many years ago, I spent
          a few months hiking in southern Arizona. I didn't have the mind-set for
          hammocking, but in my memory I do not see any trees or hanging
          opportunities at our camp sites.

          I have seen pictures where people used climbing gear to hang their
          hammock from rocks. Because of the risks of flash floods, I would
          definitely recommend avoiding washes or tanajas when camping. There are
          other pictures where people use their hammocks as 'tents' for camping on
          the ground.

          With hammocking, it is basically 'where there's a will, there's a way.'
          A lot of it does boil down to having the mind-set of looking for ways
          to hang instead of looking for smooth patches on which to place a tent.
          Then, again, there's the reality of the fact that there are places on
          this planet where hanging is just impossible--unless you take your own
          self-portable elephants, airplanes, or jeeps...

          CL

          quantum72000 wrote:
          > However, last week I moved to San Diego. In my excitement I didn't think very much about what the geography down here would be like. Now that I've arrived I am painfully aware that most of the terrain here consists of sage brush and windy flats.
          >
          > Has anyone spent time hiking down here? My first impression is that maybe I should swap the hammock for a microlight tent, but maybe there are enough scattered trees to find somewhere to put up a hammock? If anyone has used a hammock down in this region I would be greatly heartened.
        • sawyer7271
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 25, 2009
            I never chimed in here, as I'm a recent convert to hammock camping, so haven't done much, but I've lived in San Diego all my life...

            Desert: not many opportunities to hammock camp, unless, like Cara said, you can find rocks to attach to...

            A good overnight trip in the fall->early spring is Cougar Canyon or Sheep's canyon... <2 hour drive by car (4x4 suggested) and depending on where you park, 1-4 miles in, with ground water available most of the year.

            Local mountains are a different story. There are plenty of trees on Palomar/Cuyamaca. Idyllwild isn't too far (2.5 hours if I recall), and if you're looking for a thru-hike, you can go from Palm Springs, up the tramway (a very cool ride - pstramway.com) and hike to Idyllwild, or go up the tram and spend a few days hiking around at 9000ft... http://www.parks.ca.gov/mediagallery/?page_id=636&viewtype=7

            The wonderful thing about San Diego is we're 2 hours from everything: Desert, scrub/oak forests (Julian), Pine Forests (Mt. San Jacinto), and even snow (Big Bear, etc.).

            A place I camped many years ago that was great: Barker Valley (Mt. Palomar), although I don't know what it looks like since the fires... Water is available post-winter. Hammocking is definitely a possibility.

            John

            > quantum72000 wrote:
            > > However, last week I moved to San Diego. In my excitement I didn't think very much about what the geography down here would be like. Now that I've arrived I am painfully aware that most of the terrain here consists of sage brush and windy flats.
            > >
            > > Has anyone spent time hiking down here? My first impression is that maybe I should swap the hammock for a microlight tent, but maybe there are enough scattered trees to find somewhere to put up a hammock? If anyone has used a hammock down in this region I would be greatly heartened.

          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 28, 2009
              Desert: not many opportunities to hammock camp, unless, like Cara said, you
              can find rocks to attach to...

              A creative hanger will come up with a way to use a vehicle roof rack or door
              post instead of a tree.
              And a guyed post or xframe as the other tree.

              Ralph

              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 29, 2009
                The problem with door frames and posts is they only work in campgrounds
                and in 'civilized' areas. Backpacking with door frames and posts gets a
                little tricky...

                CL

              • davegraves@bellsouth.net
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 29, 2009
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <shokulan@...>
                  wrote:

                  > The problem with door frames and posts is they only work in
                  campgrounds
                  > and in 'civilized' areas. Backpacking with door frames and posts gets
                  > little tricky...

                  No No... You only take a hatchet and hew a door frame from available
                  materials at the campsite. No need to pack a door frame in with you.
                • rgochicoa
                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 29, 2009
                    Follow this link for detailed instructions on how to hang a hammock without trees (or door jams or other).

                    http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/article/pitch-a-hammock-without-trees-066669/

                    Bob

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <shokulan@...> wrote:

                    > The problem with door frames and posts is they only work in campgrounds
                    > and in 'civilized' areas. Backpacking with door frames and posts gets a
                    > little tricky...
                    >
                    > CL
                    >
                    > Ralph Oborn wrote:
                    > > Desert: not many opportunities to hammock camp, unless, like Cara said, you
                    > > can find rocks to attach to...
                    > >
                    > > A creative hanger will come up with a way to use a vehicle roof rack or door
                    > > post instead of a tree.
                    > > And a guyed post or xframe as the other tree.
                    > >
                    > > Ralph

                  • Tom Frazier
                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 29, 2009
                      There are, of course, hammock frames you can carry around in your car for those car-camping times when you don't have any trees avail. And if you don't have trees and you can't improvise something (like rocks, or using sticks to prop up your support line/s while being anchored to something solid) then you just have to use your hammock and tarp set up like a ground tent.

                      Tom

                      Ralph Oborn wrote:
                      > Desert: not many opportunities to hammock camp, unless, like Cara said, you
                      > can find rocks to attach to...
                      >
                      > A creative hanger will come up with a way to use a vehicle roof rack or door
                      > post instead of a tree.
                      > And a guyed post or xframe as the other tree.
                      >
                      > Ralph

                    • Richard Perlman
                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 29, 2009
                        I built a Risk Hammock Stand
                        <http://www.imrisk.com/hammockstand/hammockstand.htm> and it worked out
                        great. I used a Hennessey Hammocks UL Explorer and a 8' x 10' Speer
                        fly. The hammock fit perfectly, but the fly was tight. If I need it
                        again, I will add a few more feet of "top rail" to space it out more.
                        (I was being cheap and didn't want to spent another $10 on a second rail.

                        Rich

                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 29, 2009
                          Glad the stand worked out!

                          Risk

                          On Sep 29, 2009, at 16:40, Richard Perlman <richard@...
                          > wrote:

                          > I built a Risk Hammock Stand
                          > <http://www.imrisk.com/hammockstand/hammockstand.htm> and it worked
                          > out
                          > great. I used a Hennessey Hammocks UL Explorer and a 8' x 10' Speer
                          > fly. The hammock fit perfectly, but the fly was tight. If I need it
                          > again, I will add a few more feet of "top rail" to space it out more.
                          > (I was being cheap and didn't want to spent another $10 on a second
                          > rail.
                          >
                          > Rich
                          >
                          > Tom Frazier wrote:
                          >> There are, of course, hammock frames you can carry around in your
                          >> car for those car-camping times when you don't have any trees
                          >> avail. And if you don't have trees and you can't improvise
                          >> something (like rocks, or using sticks to prop up your support line/
                          >> s while being anchored to something solid) then you just have to
                          >> use your hammock and tarp set up like a ground tent.
                          >>

                          >> Tom

                        • Cara Lin Bridgman
                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 29, 2009
                            rgochicoa wrote:
                            > Follow this link for detailed instructions on how to hang a hammock without trees (or door jams or other).
                            >
                            > http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/article/pitch-a-hammock-without-trees-066669/

                            Actually, those two pieces of 4-foot long, 1-inch diameter, aluminum
                            tubing could double as walking sticks. If you're carrying climbing
                            rope, do you really need cables?

                            CL
                            who's husband always carries climbing rope because you never know when
                            you're going to reach a tricky bit of trail.
                          • Chris Lutz
                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 30, 2009
                              Has anybody been able to use a guyed post or x- frame successfully.  I tried several DIY designs, but none that could acutally hold my wt.  Ralph, what do you mean by x-frame, anyway?  Thanks.

                              Chris Lutz
                              Sign up for online personal training
                              www.spartafitnesstraining.com

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 30, 2009
                                Disregard my previous.  Didn't  read the later post first.

                                Chris Lutz
                                Sign up for online personal training
                                www.spartafitnesstraining.com

                                ________________________________
                                Follow this link for detailed instructions on how to hang a hammock without trees (or door jams or other).

                                http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/article/pitch-a-hammock-without-trees-066669/

                                Bob

                                --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, Cara Lin Bridgman <shokulan@.. .> wrote:

                                > The problem with door frames and posts is they only work in campgrounds
                                > and in 'civilized' areas. Backpacking with door frames and posts gets a
                                > little tricky...
                                >
                                > CL
                                >
                                > Ralph Oborn wrote:
                                > > Desert: not many opportunities to hammock camp, unless, like Cara said, you
                                > > can find rocks to attach to...
                                > >
                                > > A creative hanger will come up with a way to use a vehicle roof rack or door
                                > > post instead of a tree.
                                > > And a guyed post or xframe as the other tree.
                                > >
                                > > Ralph

                              • Ralph Oborn
                                Message 15 of 27 , Oct 1, 2009
                                  On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Chris Lutz <chrislutz25@...> wrote:

                                  > Has anybody been able to use a guyed post or x- frame successfully. I
                                  > tried several DIY designs, but none that could acutally hold my wt. Ralph,
                                  > what do you mean by x-frame, anyway? Thanks.
                                  >
                                  > Chris Lutz

                                  Rick has some ideas here:

                                  http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/singlepolehammock.htm

                                  I'ts on my list of things to develop............

                                  I intend to prototype with two 6 foot 2X2s crossed about 6 inches from the
                                  top, then run a single line down to a spiral dog tie out stake.

                                  After that a single pole with two lines running to the ground.

                                  Ralph

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Oct 1, 2009
                                    I have contemplated a pair of inverted Vs made from 2x4s. One inverted V
                                    would be placed at each end of the hammock stand on a beach. The Vs
                                    prevent collapse to the side. To support the ends, it should be possible
                                    to bury a piece of plywood - or better yet a small "parachute" of 1.9 oz
                                    ripstop - of sufficient size as an anchor at each end. I have not tested
                                    this.

                                    Risk

                                    Ralph Oborn wrote:
                                    > On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Chris Lutz <chrislutz25@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    >> Has anybody been able to use a guyed post or x- frame successfully. I
                                    >> tried several DIY designs, but none that could acutally hold my wt. Ralph,
                                    >> what do you mean by x-frame, anyway? Thanks.
                                    >>
                                    >> Chris Lutz
                                    >>

                                    > Rick has some ideas here:
                                    >
                                    > http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/singlepolehammock.htm
                                    >
                                    > I'ts on my list of things to develop............
                                    >
                                    > I intend to prototype with two 6 foot 2X2s crossed about 6 inches from the
                                    > top, then run a single line down to a spiral dog tie out stake.
                                    >
                                    > After that a single pole with two lines running to the ground.
                                    >

                                    > Ralph

                                  • ChuckB
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Oct 3, 2009
                                      Might take a look at Byer's Madera stand.

                                      http://www.byerofmaine.com/amaz-acces_madera.htm

                                      Chuck

                                      Rick <ra1@...> wrote:
                                      > I have contemplated a pair of inverted Vs made from 2x4s.
                                      One inverted V
                                    • sharpstik
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Oct 4, 2009
                                        $5 for two sticks??!! interesting design, but be aware of the geometry of hammock tension. the anchor better be well screwed into the ground. if you use stakes, they better be hefty. (see my circus stake pic <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/photos/album/185462806/pic/list> ) there could be several hundred lbs of stress on it. likewise for that flimsy railing on the RV it's tied to.
                                        bill keiser

                                        > Might take a look at Byer's Madera stand.
                                        > http://www.byerofmaine.com/amaz-acces_madera.htm
                                        > Chuck

                                        > Rick <ra1@> wrote:
                                        > > I have contemplated a pair of inverted Vs made from 2x4s.
                                        >> One inverted V
                                      • ChuckB
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Oct 4, 2009
                                          > ... interesting design, but be aware of the geometry of hammock tension. the anchor better be well screwed into the ...

                                          Indeed. It's well understood and explained in several locations around the net. :)

                                          Cheers!
                                          Chuck
                                        • pattysueanderson
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Oct 5, 2009
                                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy" <sandykayak@...> wrote:

                                            > I'm always looking for the perfect hammock/tent combo. Is there such a thing? It's easy to take a hammock and a tent when kayak camping.
                                            >
                                            > sandy in miami
                                            >
                                            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "quantum72000" <quantum7@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > I recently saw a friend's camping hammock and immediately went out and bought one. I lived in Seattle, so a hammock seemed perfect for the kind of backpacking I was used toâ€"dense forests and mountain streams.
                                            > >
                                            > > However, last week I moved to San Diego. In my excitement I didn't think very much about what the geography down here would be like. Now that I've arrived I am painfully aware that most of the terrain here consists of sage brush and windy flats.
                                            > >
                                            > > Has anyone spent time hiking down here? My first impression is that maybe I should swap the hammock for a microlight tent, but maybe there are enough scattered trees to find somewhere to put up a hammock? If anyone has used a hammock down in this region I would be greatly heartened.
                                            > >
                                            > > -Spencer

                                            I just purchased the Lawson tent/hammock and waiting for it to come in the mail. Hope it works, looks cool in the pics. Google it.

                                            http://www.cabelas.com/p-0057411518634a.shtml

                                            I will let you know.
                                            Patty
                                          • John Coy
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Oct 5, 2009
                                              I know there's a lot of different opinion, but mine is that to really have the benefits of a tent with your hammock, I think the NX 150 Jungle Hammock, at www.junglehammocks.com is easily the best way to go (though it is also unfortunately quite expensive).

                                              If you consider the cost of making lots of modifications, tarps, and under insulation to other brands, then the jungle hammock brand is not all that much more expensive, and you'd have a very difficult time trying to get all the features let alone quality that it offers by making your own modifications, without adding a lot more of weight than the weight of the whole set up of the Clark Jungle Hammock brand.  I hate the high price, but I've tried other systems, and various modifications, and I'm convinced that the junglehammock systems are the best way to go, all things considered.

                                              John

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Oct 5, 2009
                                                Oops, I gave the wrong website.  There is no "s" at the end.  The site for the jungle hammocks is www.junglehammock.com

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Oct 5, 2009
                                                  Personally, I love the North American model of the Clark Jungle Hammock...and in camou! However, my reason, like many, is that I simply can't afford to shell out that amount of money, so I've got a commercial close with my Claytor (has a double bottom to use with pads) and I've gotten into sewing up hammocks myself. There's relatively no waste because I use just a rectangle of 1.9 oz. ripstop nylon and no-see-um mesh netting. If I wanted pockets on the bottom I'd quite easily sew it on and if I wanted a double bottom I'd just sew two laters of 1.9 oz ripstop nylon instead of just the one with perhaps a hem and a little velcro on one side to hold that pad pocket shut. This would cost me substantially less than a Clark N. American and still give me what I want.

                                                  As to tarp, I much prefer my Jacks-r-better hammock hut for most activities for it's potential total privacy or my Speer Winter Tarp for general use. Then on nice sunny days where I just need to blend and have shade, but rain isn't really threatening I can bring out my Clark diamond tarp (it poured really bad here yesterday and that tarp leaked---more like absorbed and dispersed the raindrops into the nylon taffeta and when there was just too much rain in one spot the result would be a drop to the interior!). Though, I'm going to get me some 1.1oz. silnylon and sew up a new super small, lightweight diamond tarp for summer use that should be much better than the nylon taffeta and still cheaper than the Clark.

                                                  I can set any of my hammocks up as a tent. My home-made version was intentionally built with a 'tent mode' capability in mind, but the only thing that really changed was how I rigged the suspension up for the netting, the bottom of the hammock just becomes my ground tarp, my pad would rest inside with me, under my sleeping bag, and all the lines, as well as the tarp itself, are held up with my two trekking poles. I can do this with my Claytor Jungle Hammock as well, but I do prefer my home-made to even the Claytor as I've made mine a little wider and a little longer so I can be more comfy when I rest diagonally on it. Oh, but the N. American is such eye candy!

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Oct 6, 2009
                                                    sand/snow anchors: http://www.rei.com/product/725165#

                                                    sandy in miami

                                                  • CHRISNIMON@AOL.COM
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Oct 7, 2009
                                                      insulation is by trapped pockets of air. while there is a fine balance, if the air pockets are smaller ( more dense ) there is more material to conduct heat (or cold). just wanted to make sure you thought of that. any way, happy hammocking.

                                                    • ChuckB
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Oct 10, 2009
                                                        Here's a video of a guy using an inverted Vee. He's prototyping an anchoring method.

                                                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk8YnPJXtG4

                                                        Chuck
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Oct 10, 2009
                                                          That looked pretty cool!