Hammocks for Scouts

  • Jeff Barnes
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 28, 2009
      I have suggested to our troop that they make their own hammocks during an upcoming troop meeting. I was going to follow the directions from these sites to have them make a basic "test" hammock that they can use at home or on a camp out. I was going to skip the hemming portion (they can redo it at home and hem it there if they wish)

      http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html
      http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm

      I am looking for any suggestions as to what material to use and where to get it. We will be making 30-45 hammocks so bulk quantities and price are important (also color....I am thinking Boy scouts and hot pick will not mix well ;)

      I am not looking for the best material in the world, just something that can used to test and experiment with...also don't want something that will fall apart on the first use....

      Jeff
      jeff@...
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 28, 2009
        1.9 oz ripstop is always a good choice. Don't get waterproof silnylon.

        Risk.

        Jeff Barnes wrote:
        > I have suggested to our troop that they make their own hammocks during an upcoming troop meeting. I was going to follow the directions from these sites to have them make a basic "test" hammock that they can use at home or on a camp out. I was going to skip the hemming portion (they can redo it at home and hem it there if they wish)
        >
        > http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html
        > http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm
        >
        > I am looking for any suggestions as to what material to use and where to get it. We will be making 30-45 hammocks so bulk quantities and price are important (also color....I am thinking Boy scouts and hot pick will not mix well ;)
        >
        > I am not looking for the best material in the world, just something that can used to test and experiment with...also don't want something that will fall apart on the first use....
        >

        > Jeff
        > jeff@...

      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 28, 2009
          For my scouts we make a modified version ot the Risk Test Hammock,
          This is a quick and easy hammock that may not last for decades but will get
          kids started thinking about their shelter.

          Buy 4 yards of material at Wal-Mart ($1.50 a yd)
          Non stretchy works best

          Get some strapping two 12 to 20 foot pieces, 1 inch wide

          If you can find "Mule tape" from an electrician it's great
          or old motorcycle tie down straps (cut off all the metal)
          or look at army navy stores
          or buy some strapping

          Must be able to hold at least 600 lbs of tension (that's the way the forces
          work)

          For a rainfly we use an 8x10 blue tarp hung on a diagonal with a seperate
          ridge line.
          No sewing or hemming needed.
          Spread out the material, and gather the shoet end in both hands.
          start from both corners about 3 inches down and work towards the center top.
          when it is gathered you should have two fists full of material with the
          corners sticking up as "ears" two inches tall
          (Like Batman's mask)

          Combine into one fist about a foot down and keeping the "ears" intact fold
          the material to make a loop (or bight in knot terms)

          # #
          ## ##
          #######
          #######

          Using the strapping tie a sheet bend through the material bight. (see any
          scout handbook, or knot book or knot website)
          To really do it right do a double sheet bend (two loops around the standing
          part of the material then feed through the top loop twice also).

          Snug the knot carefully.

          find two trees about 20 foot apart

          Tie with the hammock hangers wrap

          Test all knots then climb in.

          Note the "ears" makes a pocket that will keep thecenter of gravity (that
          means you) below the sides of the hammock.
          So you are stable and will not fall out.
          Experiment with different hang angles for comfort.
          Also try sleeping at a diagonal to the line of the hammock for a flatter
          sleep.
          Even in summertime a sleeping pad under you will keep you more comfy.

          The biggest challenge is teaching the scouts that these are not a "swing" if
          you push on them enough you can tumble a scout out! :]

          - Ripstop @ $6.00 can be found if you are willing to spend a little more.
          - For scouts the slight amound of stretch difference between poly and
          nylon strapping doesn't seem to matter.
          - Can you find places to camp with enough trees?

          Enjoy

          Ralph
          Troop 353 Pocatello, Idaho
          I used to be an antelopeee.....

        • Jeff Barnes
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 28, 2009
            Thanks. This was the basic plan I had in mid, but you had a couple of points that will improve on my first idea. Unfortunately WalMarts around here have stopped selling fabric so I have to look elsewhere.

            We are in north GA near the beginning of the AT so trees are plentiful...sometimes too much so when trying to find tent sites

            Jeff
            I used to be a Buffalo......

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 28, 2009
              If you want some cinch buckles cheep for this project search eBay for
              "10 PARACHUTE HARNESS RINGS BELT BUCKLES NEW MIL SURPLUS"
              Chris @ 800.464.1713 has tons of them and will make you a deal They are made for 1-15/16" webbing. I am using them without a problem with 1" webbing, thin poly or Nylon tubular. I have even placed them in the mid strap with the strap doubled over without any slippage. They are steel and do weigh about 4oz each. The triangle loop is large enough to loop light fabric through.
              I paid 45.00 with shipping for 30.

              Sapere Aude,

              Arye P. Rubenstein