Re: [Hammock Camping] interesting hang

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 5 6:21 AM
      Chris,

      If you put a ridgepole between the two tie points, it adds a lot of
      strength without needing heavy components on the angles that need to be
      welded. A couple pieces of the galvanized tubing that is used at the top
      of a chain link fence costs about $10 and it can be cut down to the
      right length. If equal amounts are cut off the two pieces, then you have
      two pieces that easily fit in the truck bed. That thin wall tubing is
      plenty rigid enough for the 600# of compression it will be under, as
      long as you do not pull yourself out of the hammock with it.
      Risk

      Chris wrote:
      > Well I thought I had an interesting hang a little earlier tonight but I ended up breaking a weld so I need to go back and re-think the support the next go round. I have a long bed truck that I use to tow my RV but I still like going out without the RV lots of times. I have been at the NC coast for a month and you can drive on the beaches but you cannot put up a tent in most places so I have been thinking about a way to hang my hammock in the back.
      >
      > I have a headache rack on the front of the bed of my truck where I place a wind deflector while I am towing my camper. So I went to the toy store (ie. Tool store) and bought a truck bed extended that fits in the receiver hitch and turns up to be the same level as the tailgate. I picked up a standard receiver hitch coupler and an additional 4ft of square steel tubing and went to drilling. I now have the top of the truck bed extender even with my headache rack on the front of the bed only the extender is almost 3ft behind the truck wich puts the two tie points about 10.5 ft apart.
      >
      > Proof of concept works!!!! I was hanging in it when I broke the weld. It was just enough to start to sag me onto the bed of the truck so no catastrophic falls but it did fail. I know why it failed and I will work tomorrow to try and resolve that issue after I get the weld fixed. When I get back home to Alabama I will probably just pick up some stronger steel and make a new piece for the truck bed extender but while I am on the road I will figure out how to bolt in a support gusset.
      >
      > When I get it figured out I will post up a picture so you guys can smile with me. :) I have already figured out how to hang between the truck and one stationary object... now I will have a way to just hang over the bed of the truck.
      >
      > Have a great holiday folks,
      > Chris

    • Tod Massa
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 5 6:58 AM
        When I was driving an 8ft bed I had a similar thought, but I looked at the weight limits of various bed extenders and none of them seemed strong enough. I am a big guy and hammock stresses are even larger. However, it occurs to me, and I might be able to do this on my 6ft bed, is that if one put a receiver on the front of your truck (Reese has one that usually sells for less than $40) and used a bed extender on each end, with a cross-piece between the two, it could handle anything. Likewise, using a cross-piece or support gusset would accomplish the same.

        tod
        My dogs love my banjo playing - Good Dogs!

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 6 7:35 AM
          Well... I am at 13'2" between tie points but that compresses quite a bit when I am in the hammock. I put some bolted on braces and all they did was twist around because they weren't structurally rigid enough. I will work on a ridge piece solution. I don't really want to make many changes to my headache rack because it still has to serve its main purpose of being the mount for my wind deflector when I am hauling my RV around but I can do some modifications when I get back to the welder in Alabama.

          I really want to find a bolt on solution this week or next so that I can continue planning a trip using this thing. We'll see what I can come up with when I go back to Lowes.

          Thanks for the suggestions.

          Chris
        • Kathy Preble
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 6 4:26 PM
            Great! Now if you could explain to me how to hang off those "big ole' trees" in SMNP...I just came back from there and all my tree straps wanted to do was slide down the wet trunks!

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 7 9:19 PM
              Good plan, Chris.

              Instead of strengthening the Receiver support, you can run a rigid horizontal support from the extended receiver post horizontally to the headache rack. This offsets the horizontal forces, which are what broke the weld. If you do not have much sag, horizontal forces can be VERY high.

              Something as light as a 2x2 lumber, or 3/4 inch conduit will do it with reasonable sag.

              I have hung from two tripods from time to time. Will not work without a cross piece. Works easily with one. I like bamboo for the cross piece, because a pole one inch in diameter at the small end will do, and weighs next to nothing.

              For reference, I weigh in around 250#

              -tg

            • Chris
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 9 12:15 PM
                I am condidering a bolt on solution so that I can run a chain link fence top rail from my front rack to the rear rack. I am trying to figure out how to have a quick pin release at the front and something similar at the rear but I haven't had the time to really invest in it yet. Maybe I will have more time this weekend.

                I found a bolt on top rail end cap and I can do something similar on the other end if I can keep it supported. The problem I am seeing is that there is a lot of flex both up and down with the tolerances in teh standard receiver hitch setup. When I tie to the hitch mounted rack I have a lot of movement in the receiver just by the nature of the slip fit of a receiver. By having this much slop in there I am afraid that I will have issues with the cross bar trying to pull out so I will have to bolt through or pin it to keep it together. Not a big deal, it just adds to the parts to have to keep up with.

                I have several family members that are welders so when I get home I may make a stronger bed extender piece anyway. I can deal with the additional weight because it is in 3 pieces. I can't deal with the welds breaking. I am pretty surethat the only piece I need to make stronger is the bottom piece. The top piece seems to be fine. I may make it differently because even with the setup I have, I can make it stronger and lighter by removing some of the bolt on parts and just welding collars on the vertical pieces. This will clear up some of the slop in the movemement as well.

                I have a picture of me in it that I will try to post just for fun. Reality is, I was just a little bored and thought I could get something to work while I have been traveling. If I get it to work, I can have a stronger solution built when I get back home in a couple months.

                Thank you all very much for the suggestions. I will post up the finished product as well.

                As far as costs, I had a coupon for the bed extender and it cost $31 plus tax. I bought a 18" receiver tube for $14 and the piece of steel that connects the two cost $20 at the local brick and mortar because they had it in stock and I didn't have time to shop around really. Total cost of the functioning parts is about $65 so far.

                I added another $15 worth of bolts and washers and the other support fixes that will be discarded. Those won't factor in to the cost of the finished product, when I get it working.

                The 5/8" drill bit to drill the steel was another $18 for that one stinking bit. You don't have to go 5/8" but that is the standard hitch pin size on a class III hitch. I had the rest of the bits and tools handy.

                Yes I will eventually end up with more in this than I would have in a cheap hammock stand. the thing about this is that I can hang wherever I can park my truck which isn't always where I could put a hammock stand in addition to my truck. It is also just a fun conversation piece and the bed extender will work with the kayak.

                Thanks,
                Chris
              • Chris
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 9 12:28 PM
                  I am also considering getting a longer 5/8 bolt and using a 2x4 to go from the top bolt hole of the receiver tube over to the tailgate for support on the vertical. If you look at this picture. there is a bolt holding the rusty piece to the black piece in the middle. I can get a 7" 5/8 bolt and put a 2x4 on either side of it there to help with stability and put it right against the tailgate with some notches in the board. I may even use a 2x6 and cut a slip notch out of the 2x6 so that it can slide in and out with some tension and still not fall off the tailgate.

                  Again, most of these are temporary fixes until I can just engineer something that is self sufficient. I only have a byer hammock now but Kent has a ENO doublenest so I need to tie his up too and see how it fits the distance. I may end up going closer so I can put eye bolts in the top cross piece and just clip the hammocks straight to the racks.

                  Thanks again,
                  Chris
                • R Swink
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 12 6:14 PM
                    I saw a truck yesterday that had 2 receivers on the passenger side that they
                    had a pipe hauling system built up in. Not sure where it came from and I
                    didn't have a camera with me.