Re: [Hammock Camping] stock HHULBPAsym tarp

  • kenneth hudson
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 27 10:47 PM
      I joined this group to find out more about hammock camping. How do you like it? Seems easier than setting up a tent. Looks like it would be good to use if a person rode a motorcycle. Is Hennesy a good brand. My wife does not like camping and this looks like it would be good for me.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 28 4:12 PM
        Anyone have a stock silnylon tarp for the HH ultralight backpacer's asym

        they want to get rid of?

        I've got one-never use it. It's an asym sil tarp, although it came with the
        Explorer, not the ultralight. You pay the postage and it's yours. Reply
        via the group or to me personally at boardmanm@.... Mike

      • kerrilarkin
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 29 6:39 PM
          Hi Kenneth,

          I'm very new to Hammock camping also, having just spent my first three nights in a Hennessey. I loved it!!! The first nights in years I haven't tossed and turned, and had to get up because of a sore back: I'm hooked (or should that be 'hung'). I would imagine hammocks would be great for motorcycle camping as they can be small and light, but as for choice of brand, well, that's a very personal matter. I chose the Hennessey because the bottom entry meant I could safely use it (I've got an arm problem making it difficult o get in a traditional hammock). Others prefer the Blackbird, Speer, or Clark hammocks and each has their good points. Look around here and hammockforums.net and you'll find plenty of good advice to help you choose. I bought mine having seen a single picture in a gear mag, then reading the Hennessey web site. Horses for courses, but one thing seems certain: once you hang you'll never willingly go to ground again! Good luck finding a hammock...

          Kerri

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 29 7:12 PM
            Thanks Kerri. I appreciate the info.

            ________________________________
            I'm very new to Hammock camping also, having just spent my first three nights in a Hennessey. I loved it!!! The first nights in years I haven't tossed and turned, and had to get up because of a sore back: I'm hooked (or should that be 'hung'). I would imagine hammocks would be great for motorcycle camping as they can be small and light, but as for choice of brand, well, that's a very personal matter. I chose the Hennessey because the bottom entry meant I could safely use it (I've got an arm problem making it difficult o get in a traditional hammock). Others prefer the Blackbird, Speer, or Clark hammocks and each has their good points. Look around here and hammockforums. net and you'll find plenty of good advice to help you choose. I bought mine having seen a single picture in a gear mag, then reading the Hennessey web site. Horses for courses, but one thing seems certain: once you hang you'll never willingly go to ground again! Good luck finding a
            hammock...

            Kerri

            --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, kenneth hudson <klhudson1957@ ...> wrote:

            > I joined this group to find out more about hammock camping. How do you like it? Seems easier than setting up a tent. Looks like it would be good to use if a person rode a motorcycle. Is Hennesy a good brand. My wife does not like camping and this looks like it would be good for me.
            >

            > ____________ _________ _________ __

          • Tom Frazier
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 30 12:26 PM
              I discovered hammock camping around the summer of 2005 and I haven't looked back at a backpacking tent since! It's also the most comfortable bed I've yet had the pleasure to sleep on; way better than my sleepnumber bed that cost me over $1k! Whereas, I've been making my own top-loading hammocks for around $50 (with netting and zipper built in)! I simply cannot say enough good things about hammocks! Though, the only draw back I can really think of is the time it takes to get used to it when you try it the first time. Someone on here once said that the key was getting a good day hike in, so that by the time you're ready to retire you're tired enough to really enjoy the hammock, which did turn out to be true for me. Before that, I was just so comfortable laying in my hammock that I couldn't get to sleep...I just wasn't tired enough and was comfy enough just laying there.

              I now sleep full time in a hammock and have put my sleepnumber bed away for now. It's just too comfy and convenient. I purchased a hammock stand from walmart (they have several to choose from, but you have to order online and get it shipped to you or, cheaper, shipped to the store for pickup) and this set up actually saves space in my otherwise smallish apartment. Then, when I'm ready to camp, I simply take my bed with me!

              Hennessey is a good brand, probably one of the most popular, but there are several other good camping hammocks, just be aware that there are two kinds of hammocks: 1. the backyard hammock, and 2. the camping hammock. Only the camping hammock is truly made to sleep in overnight! Most backyard hammocks are just props you erect in your yard and enjoy infrequently. They're worlds apart from a camping-specific hammock. ENO is a good brand, though you'll have to get netting for those bug-full days (my wife has one of these, we modified the support straps with longer 15' ft. one-inch-wide webbing on each side and cinch buckles), the ones I make are pretty much a clone of the Claytor Jungle Hammocks, though with a few modifications and upgrades, and several others. There are some cheapos out there, like the Byers of Maine hammocks...they're okay, but the netting on mine failed (it was my first hammock), the material was really breezy and chilly and it was just too short for me. REI stores carry the Hennessey brand and they have a 100% guarantee. If you don't like it, just bring it back for a full refund! How awesome is that?!

              Happy Hanging!

              Tom

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
                Hi, Tom.... no hanging allowed in Fl State Parks. can you find a link to show us what your stand looks like (and cost)?

                I somehow don't think it's here:

                http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=0&ic=48_0&search_query=hammock+stand

                sandy in miami

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 5, 2009
                  Hey!

                  Just wanted you to know that I'm not ignoring this message! There were three models (I had gotten a cheaper 10 foot model, with the idea that I'd get a longer fifteen foot spanned one later) that was only available for ordering online from the Walmart website but now I've doubled checked and they all dissapeared! What the Heck!!?? So, I am searching for those and if I'm able to locate them, I'll respond to this post again!

                  Tom