Test hammock

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 8, 2009
      Hey folks,

      Here are the instructions I sent to some one for making athe quick risk test
      hammock with sheetbends.

      Does this make sense to you guys?

      Any suggestions?

      Note it was inspired by Rick (as a risk test hammock) and then someone here
      suggested the double sheet bend)

      Ralph

      Buy 4 yards of material at Wal-Mart ($1.50 a yd)

      Get some strapping two 12 to 20 foot pieces, 1 inch wide

      If you can find "Mule tape" from an electrician it's great
      or old motorcycle tie down straps (cut off all the metal)
      or look at army navy stores
      or buy some strapping

      Must be able to hold at least 600 lbs of tension (that's the way the forces
      work)

      Spread out the material, and gather the end in both hands.
      start from both corners about 3 inches down and work towards the center top.
      when it is gathered you should have two fists full of material with the
      corners sticking up as "ears" two inches tall
      (Like Batman's mask)

      Combine into one fist about a foot down and keeping the "ears" intact fold
      the material to make a loop (or bight in knot terms)

      Using the strapping tie a sheet bend through the material. (see any scout
      handbook, or knot book or knot website)
      To really do it right do a double sheet bend (two loops around the standing
      part of the material then feed through the top loop twice also).

      Snug the knot carefully.

      find two trees about 20 foot apart

      Tie with the hammock hangers wrap

      Test all knots then climb in.

      Note the "ears" makes a pocket that will keep your center of gravity (that
      means you) below the sides of the hammock.
      So you are stable and will not fall out.
      Experiment with different hang angles for comfort.
      Also try sleeping at a diagonal to the line of the hammock for a flatter
      sleep

      Enjoy

      Ralph

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 9, 2009
        Makes sense. You might suggest the material be sturdy and not of a
        double knit variety. Ripstop nylon would be best. Polyester woven cloth
        works well too.

        Risk