Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock from recycled materials

    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 5, 2009
      Well, if they don't stretch too much, then you chose wisely.

      Rick

      Elizabeth Young wrote:
      > I've managed to find some poly (non nylon) tie down straps. But I only
      > know that they were not nylon because the package said so.
      > Don't know how to differentiate previously used straps.
      >
      > liz young
      >
      > Rick wrote:
      >>
      >> Problem with tie down straps is that they are nylon and act like rubber
      >> bands. They stretch and then get shorter when the load comes off.
      >> Polyester works some better because it stretches the first time and then
      >> stays the same length.
      >>
      >> Given a choice, I'd use polyester over nylon.
      >>
      >> Rick

    • pure mahem
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 5, 2009
        To tell the truth I like Polypro Strapseven better However I believe we were looking at only usaing recycled materials for the straps in this particular project.

        ________________________________

        pure mahem wrote:
        > Try recycling an old ratchet tiedown strap justcut thehook outanditsgoodto go andstrong too.
        >

        > ____________ _________ _________ __

      • Tom Frazier
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 5, 2009
          Just buy and "recycle" the polypro strapseven then. ;o) You could also buy a 30' ft. roll of polypropylene webbing from Ed Speer's site (http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Supplies.htm) for $6.00. Pretty cheap! Then, just "recycle it" into strapping for the hammocks. They're safer since the breaking strength is rated at 700 pounds and they're really cheap, especially if you put in an order for a few of them to save on shipping costs.

          T3

          pure mahem wrote:
          > Try recycling an old ratchet tiedown strap justcut thehook outanditsgoodto go andstrong too.

        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 5, 2009
            You'll need 12 to fifteen feet a each end of each hammock

            Ralph