Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock from recycled materials

  • Troy Eckhardt
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 5, 2009
      Hi LeeG, I'm an Eagle Scout and scoutmaster. Ask a friendly BellSouth or
      AT&T man for used MuleTape (5/8" strapping.) That's what I'm using. They
      use it to pull cable, and it is listed as 1800 lb capacity.

      Troy

      On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 7:14 PM, eglonwv <eglonwv@...> wrote:

      > I use a HH for my bicycle camping trips. I am looking for ideas for making
      > a similar hammock from recycled materials for use by my two grandsons who
      > are Cub Scout age.
      >
      > Users � 5 feet or less, less than 100 lbs, age 6-11 (basically Cub Scout
      > age and size)
      > Materials �recycled material, readily available at low or no cost from
      > thrift shops, hotels, etc
      > Use bed sheets, blankets, curtains, canvas, clothing
      > Use sheer curtains for netting.
      > Cordage - - plastic pallet strapping (braid in roping), electrical wire,
      > other
      > Rain Fly � trash bags, paint drop cloths,
      > Tools � scissors, needle, NO SEWING MACHINE, tape.
      > Keep cost of purchased items under $10.
      > Keep design easily done by a scout with some guidance by an adult
      >
      > Any other ideas or sources are available for making a hammock of recycled
      > material?
      >
      > LeeG

    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 5, 2009
        On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 6:19 AM, Troy Eckhardt <TRex.YahooGroups@...>wrote:

        > Hi LeeG, I'm an Eagle Scout and scoutmaster. Ask a friendly BellSouth or
        > AT&T man for used MuleTape (5/8" strapping.) That's what I'm using. They
        > use it to pull cable, and it is listed as 1800 lb capacity.
        >
        > Troy

        Excellent stuff if you can find it!!!!

        Ralph

      • Elizabeth Young
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 5, 2009
          I've managed to find some poly (non nylon) tie down straps. But I only
          know that they were not nylon because the package said so.
          Don't know how to differentiate previously used straps.

          liz young

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 5, 2009
            Well, if they don't stretch too much, then you chose wisely.

            Rick

            Elizabeth Young wrote:
            > I've managed to find some poly (non nylon) tie down straps. But I only
            > know that they were not nylon because the package said so.
            > Don't know how to differentiate previously used straps.
            >
            > liz young
            >
            > Rick wrote:
            >>
            >> Problem with tie down straps is that they are nylon and act like rubber
            >> bands. They stretch and then get shorter when the load comes off.
            >> Polyester works some better because it stretches the first time and then
            >> stays the same length.
            >>
            >> Given a choice, I'd use polyester over nylon.
            >>
            >> Rick

          • pure mahem
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 5, 2009
              To tell the truth I like Polypro Strapseven better However I believe we were looking at only usaing recycled materials for the straps in this particular project.

              ________________________________

              pure mahem wrote:
              > Try recycling an old ratchet tiedown strap justcut thehook outanditsgoodto go andstrong too.
              >

              > ____________ _________ _________ __

            • Tom Frazier
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 5, 2009
                Just buy and "recycle" the polypro strapseven then. ;o) You could also buy a 30' ft. roll of polypropylene webbing from Ed Speer's site (http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Supplies.htm) for $6.00. Pretty cheap! Then, just "recycle it" into strapping for the hammocks. They're safer since the breaking strength is rated at 700 pounds and they're really cheap, especially if you put in an order for a few of them to save on shipping costs.

                T3

                pure mahem wrote:
                > Try recycling an old ratchet tiedown strap justcut thehook outanditsgoodto go andstrong too.

              • Ralph Oborn
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 5, 2009
                  You'll need 12 to fifteen feet a each end of each hammock

                  Ralph