Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock from recycled materials

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 4, 2009
      for my 11 year old scouts we make a Risk Test Hammock. (google it)
      No sewing, no fuss, no muss.
      But use a double sheet bend to connect the strap to the fabric.

      Cost is about $10 each, three weeks ago we had 8 scouts and dads swinging
      below the stars.

      4 yards of polyester material from Walmart (not ripstop) @ $1.50 a yard
      (might shorten a little for kids?)
      Strapping from a Army Navy store but old motorcycle tie downs would work.

      Pictures are available if interested.

      I'm concerned that some of your recycle material might hurt trees or kids so
      I use new (but cheep) materiel.

      Ralph

    • pure mahem
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 4, 2009
        Try recycling an old ratchet tiedown strap justcut thehook outanditsgoodto go andstrong too.

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 4, 2009
          I wonder how strong arope you could make by braiding thetrash bagsinto cordage and treehuggers?

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 5, 2009
            Problem with tie down straps is that they are nylon and act like rubber
            bands. They stretch and then get shorter when the load comes off.
            Polyester works some better because it stretches the first time and then
            stays the same length.

            Given a choice, I'd use polyester over nylon.

            Rick

            pure mahem wrote:
            > Try recycling an old ratchet tiedown strap justcut thehook outanditsgoodto go andstrong too.
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Troy Eckhardt
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 5, 2009
              Hi LeeG, I'm an Eagle Scout and scoutmaster. Ask a friendly BellSouth or
              AT&T man for used MuleTape (5/8" strapping.) That's what I'm using. They
              use it to pull cable, and it is listed as 1800 lb capacity.

              Troy

              On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 7:14 PM, eglonwv <eglonwv@...> wrote:

              > I use a HH for my bicycle camping trips. I am looking for ideas for making
              > a similar hammock from recycled materials for use by my two grandsons who
              > are Cub Scout age.
              >
              > Users � 5 feet or less, less than 100 lbs, age 6-11 (basically Cub Scout
              > age and size)
              > Materials �recycled material, readily available at low or no cost from
              > thrift shops, hotels, etc
              > Use bed sheets, blankets, curtains, canvas, clothing
              > Use sheer curtains for netting.
              > Cordage - - plastic pallet strapping (braid in roping), electrical wire,
              > other
              > Rain Fly � trash bags, paint drop cloths,
              > Tools � scissors, needle, NO SEWING MACHINE, tape.
              > Keep cost of purchased items under $10.
              > Keep design easily done by a scout with some guidance by an adult
              >
              > Any other ideas or sources are available for making a hammock of recycled
              > material?
              >
              > LeeG

            • Ralph Oborn
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 5, 2009
                On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 6:19 AM, Troy Eckhardt <TRex.YahooGroups@...>wrote:

                > Hi LeeG, I'm an Eagle Scout and scoutmaster. Ask a friendly BellSouth or
                > AT&T man for used MuleTape (5/8" strapping.) That's what I'm using. They
                > use it to pull cable, and it is listed as 1800 lb capacity.
                >
                > Troy

                Excellent stuff if you can find it!!!!

                Ralph

              • Elizabeth Young
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 5, 2009
                  I've managed to find some poly (non nylon) tie down straps. But I only
                  know that they were not nylon because the package said so.
                  Don't know how to differentiate previously used straps.

                  liz young

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 5, 2009
                    Well, if they don't stretch too much, then you chose wisely.

                    Rick

                    Elizabeth Young wrote:
                    > I've managed to find some poly (non nylon) tie down straps. But I only
                    > know that they were not nylon because the package said so.
                    > Don't know how to differentiate previously used straps.
                    >
                    > liz young
                    >
                    > Rick wrote:
                    >>
                    >> Problem with tie down straps is that they are nylon and act like rubber
                    >> bands. They stretch and then get shorter when the load comes off.
                    >> Polyester works some better because it stretches the first time and then
                    >> stays the same length.
                    >>
                    >> Given a choice, I'd use polyester over nylon.
                    >>
                    >> Rick

                  • pure mahem
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 5, 2009
                      To tell the truth I like Polypro Strapseven better However I believe we were looking at only usaing recycled materials for the straps in this particular project.

                      ________________________________

                      pure mahem wrote:
                      > Try recycling an old ratchet tiedown strap justcut thehook outanditsgoodto go andstrong too.
                      >

                      > ____________ _________ _________ __

                    • Tom Frazier
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 5, 2009
                        Just buy and "recycle" the polypro strapseven then. ;o) You could also buy a 30' ft. roll of polypropylene webbing from Ed Speer's site (http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Supplies.htm) for $6.00. Pretty cheap! Then, just "recycle it" into strapping for the hammocks. They're safer since the breaking strength is rated at 700 pounds and they're really cheap, especially if you put in an order for a few of them to save on shipping costs.

                        T3

                        pure mahem wrote:
                        > Try recycling an old ratchet tiedown strap justcut thehook outanditsgoodto go andstrong too.

                      • Ralph Oborn
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 5, 2009
                          You'll need 12 to fifteen feet a each end of each hammock

                          Ralph