Hammock from recycled materials

  • eglonwv
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 4, 2009
      I use a HH for my bicycle camping trips. I am looking for ideas for making a similar hammock from recycled materials for use by my two grandsons who are Cub Scout age.

      Users – 5 feet or less, less than 100 lbs, age 6-11 (basically Cub Scout age and size)
      Materials –recycled material, readily available at low or no cost from thrift shops, hotels, etc
      Use bed sheets, blankets, curtains, canvas, clothing
      Use sheer curtains for netting.
      Cordage - - plastic pallet strapping (braid in roping), electrical wire, other
      Rain Fly – trash bags, paint drop cloths,
      Tools – scissors, needle, NO SEWING MACHINE, tape.
      Keep cost of purchased items under $10.
      Keep design easily done by a scout with some guidance by an adult

      Any other ideas or sources are available for making a hammock of recycled material?

      LeeG
    • ij santiago
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 4, 2009
        *say **no to the:* Cordage - - plastic pallet strapping (braid in roping),
        electrical wire, other
        *yes if you are just using it to bind the gathered end of the hammocks. for
        hammock to trees
        straps ( 1in polypro or polyester) = no tree damage!*

        --
        I J. (aka peanuts)

      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 4, 2009
          for my 11 year old scouts we make a Risk Test Hammock. (google it)
          No sewing, no fuss, no muss.
          But use a double sheet bend to connect the strap to the fabric.

          Cost is about $10 each, three weeks ago we had 8 scouts and dads swinging
          below the stars.

          4 yards of polyester material from Walmart (not ripstop) @ $1.50 a yard
          (might shorten a little for kids?)
          Strapping from a Army Navy store but old motorcycle tie downs would work.

          Pictures are available if interested.

          I'm concerned that some of your recycle material might hurt trees or kids so
          I use new (but cheep) materiel.

          Ralph

        • pure mahem
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 4, 2009
            Try recycling an old ratchet tiedown strap justcut thehook outanditsgoodto go andstrong too.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 4, 2009
              I wonder how strong arope you could make by braiding thetrash bagsinto cordage and treehuggers?

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 5, 2009
                Problem with tie down straps is that they are nylon and act like rubber
                bands. They stretch and then get shorter when the load comes off.
                Polyester works some better because it stretches the first time and then
                stays the same length.

                Given a choice, I'd use polyester over nylon.

                Rick

                pure mahem wrote:
                > Try recycling an old ratchet tiedown strap justcut thehook outanditsgoodto go andstrong too.
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Troy Eckhardt
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 5, 2009
                  Hi LeeG, I'm an Eagle Scout and scoutmaster. Ask a friendly BellSouth or
                  AT&T man for used MuleTape (5/8" strapping.) That's what I'm using. They
                  use it to pull cable, and it is listed as 1800 lb capacity.

                  Troy

                  On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 7:14 PM, eglonwv <eglonwv@...> wrote:

                  > I use a HH for my bicycle camping trips. I am looking for ideas for making
                  > a similar hammock from recycled materials for use by my two grandsons who
                  > are Cub Scout age.
                  >
                  > Users � 5 feet or less, less than 100 lbs, age 6-11 (basically Cub Scout
                  > age and size)
                  > Materials �recycled material, readily available at low or no cost from
                  > thrift shops, hotels, etc
                  > Use bed sheets, blankets, curtains, canvas, clothing
                  > Use sheer curtains for netting.
                  > Cordage - - plastic pallet strapping (braid in roping), electrical wire,
                  > other
                  > Rain Fly � trash bags, paint drop cloths,
                  > Tools � scissors, needle, NO SEWING MACHINE, tape.
                  > Keep cost of purchased items under $10.
                  > Keep design easily done by a scout with some guidance by an adult
                  >
                  > Any other ideas or sources are available for making a hammock of recycled
                  > material?
                  >
                  > LeeG

                • Ralph Oborn
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 5, 2009
                    On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 6:19 AM, Troy Eckhardt <TRex.YahooGroups@...>wrote:

                    > Hi LeeG, I'm an Eagle Scout and scoutmaster. Ask a friendly BellSouth or
                    > AT&T man for used MuleTape (5/8" strapping.) That's what I'm using. They
                    > use it to pull cable, and it is listed as 1800 lb capacity.
                    >
                    > Troy

                    Excellent stuff if you can find it!!!!

                    Ralph

                  • Elizabeth Young
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 5, 2009
                      I've managed to find some poly (non nylon) tie down straps. But I only
                      know that they were not nylon because the package said so.
                      Don't know how to differentiate previously used straps.

                      liz young

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 5, 2009
                        Well, if they don't stretch too much, then you chose wisely.

                        Rick

                        Elizabeth Young wrote:
                        > I've managed to find some poly (non nylon) tie down straps. But I only
                        > know that they were not nylon because the package said so.
                        > Don't know how to differentiate previously used straps.
                        >
                        > liz young
                        >
                        > Rick wrote:
                        >>
                        >> Problem with tie down straps is that they are nylon and act like rubber
                        >> bands. They stretch and then get shorter when the load comes off.
                        >> Polyester works some better because it stretches the first time and then
                        >> stays the same length.
                        >>
                        >> Given a choice, I'd use polyester over nylon.
                        >>
                        >> Rick

                      • pure mahem
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 5, 2009
                          To tell the truth I like Polypro Strapseven better However I believe we were looking at only usaing recycled materials for the straps in this particular project.

                          ________________________________

                          pure mahem wrote:
                          > Try recycling an old ratchet tiedown strap justcut thehook outanditsgoodto go andstrong too.
                          >

                          > ____________ _________ _________ __

                        • Tom Frazier
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 5, 2009
                            Just buy and "recycle" the polypro strapseven then. ;o) You could also buy a 30' ft. roll of polypropylene webbing from Ed Speer's site (http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Supplies.htm) for $6.00. Pretty cheap! Then, just "recycle it" into strapping for the hammocks. They're safer since the breaking strength is rated at 700 pounds and they're really cheap, especially if you put in an order for a few of them to save on shipping costs.

                            T3

                            pure mahem wrote:
                            > Try recycling an old ratchet tiedown strap justcut thehook outanditsgoodto go andstrong too.

                          • Ralph Oborn
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 5, 2009
                              You'll need 12 to fifteen feet a each end of each hammock

                              Ralph