Re: Hammock for Brazil and South America

  • proteorio
    Message 1 of 59 , Jun 1, 2009
      Hi Lori,
      Nice to meet you. Sorry for the delay in replying I have just been a bit busy
      Thanks for the advices. I still undecided between Warbonnet Blackbird and Tom Claytor's Jungle. The price difference isn't little.
      Unfortunately I don't have high velocity internet and I can't see youtube videos but I will check hammockforums. Net for the subforums.
      Otto

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "lpon2000" <lorister@...> wrote:

      > Hi Otto,
      >
      > As an owner of a Hennessy and a Blackbird, I can tell you that the Blackbird is much roomier and has features that other hammocks do not that are surprisingly beneficial. I like that I do not have to do anything to the Blackbird to make it easier to use, like changing the suspension or adding a zipper; many many Hennessy users are modifying their hammock to have a side zipper and ring buckles on the suspension. The Blackbird has both and also a shelf, which is a great way to store all those little items plus a water bottle, socks, etc. The footbox is more storage for clothing items besides being used as a footbox.
      >
      > Experienced hammockers who get the Blackbird rave about it. I have only ever seen a single person nitpick small features of the hammock - he didn't like the things that the rest of us were raving about. So while it is certainly not a guarantee that you would find it worked for you, I'd doubt you would find anything major to complain about. I'm 5'7" and cannot be uncomfortable in the Blackbird, no matter how I roll around - I sleep on my side or in combo positions (side/back). I have a large homemade tarp that works great for storms and a MacCat Deluxe for summer/spring. With a large tarp with four tie outs to a side, you can close down the ends over the hammock and have a pretty good shelter. If you have not seen the youtube videos featuring the Blackbird you can search for the Warbonnet Blackbird and find users impressions that are much more useful in highlighting the features of it than the Warbonnet website.
      >
      > If you really want to see reviews of all the hammocks, go to hammockforums.net - there are subforums for each brand of hammock. YOu will find Clark, Claytor, Hennessy and other hammocks discussed and re-discussed and examined in detail. Also tarps and insulation options galore.
      >
      > Good luck in your search for the perfect hammock!
      >
      > Lori
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "proteorio" <proteorio@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Rod,
      > > I visited the Warbonnet Blackbird site. Seems a very good model. A little bit expensive with the tarp. I think a double layers hammock is better. It's easy to find a suitable insulation pad and can be used as a camping pad when sleeping on the ground if trees are not available..
      > > During my research for hammocks I was impressed by the Mosquito Hammock (Tom Claytor http://www.mosquitohammock.com/), the Jungle model. Look's like to have many good features: is double layer and accept a camping pad, can lay on the ground if no trees are available, has camouflage color that is very good for stealth camping, and in Brazil is better not to be seen, the price is good and he send for free worldwide. I will try to find out if there is some major drawback.
      > > Thanks for the wishes
      > > Otto

    • Sandy Kramer
      Message 59 of 59 , Jun 4, 2009
        Hi, Otto....hmmmm you went with the Claytor Jungle Hammock....I'm really liking the Warbonnet Blackbird (hope I have name right).

        I was thinking of y'all last week as I was hanging on the rooftop terrace (mirador) of my little house in Mexico (Lake Chapala area; south of Guadalajara; central highlands).

        It's a hand woven (nylon) traditional style Venezuelan hammock - in a bright yellow. I thought I'd take advantage of the nice weather for a chance to get a good night's sleep (I have arthritis) and managed to stay there til ab 3 a.m. but there were quite a few mosquitos.

        Sooooo, I'm now seriously looking at buying a mosquito net...over the two links I posted earlier I'm thinking of ordering the ENO one because it has a ridgeline (as opposed to the other that has 4 tie-outs). I have a Treklight double, so I can use the net with that one as well.

        Otto, I lived mostly in Caracas...and yes, I like to kayak and have several. I only do recreational paddling - in South Florida we do river kayak camping trips.

        I bought the Hennessy Hammock Hex Tarp (ab. $60)...and later I got the white one from Sportsmansguide ($30 http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/guide-gear-tarp.aspx?a=254694). No way should you have to buy a new tarp and then waterproof it!!

        The HH one has neat little pockets that close with velcro (I think) to stuff the guy lines inside.

        sandy