Re: [Hammock Camping] Hey folks

  • Tom Frazier
    Message 1 of 14 , May 27, 2009
      Well, before I had the JRB Hammock Hut and didn't have to worry about privacy (used this for the first time last weekened...just awesome!), I would just sit on the edge of my hammock and do my business there....with occasional peeks out either side of the hammock to make sure no one would see me. haha. To change my pants/shorts I'd half-stand, unbutton and pull down half way, then sit and lean back in the hammock to pull them the rest of the way off. I"d have my sleeping bag with me, so if I needed emergency cover up I'd have it handy...to get dressed, I just reversed the process.

      T3

      Message 2 of 14 , May 27, 2009
        Yeah, that's pretty much what I was doing, except that I figured out
        that if I pull my pants most of the way up and then just give them one
        more tug when I stand up, I'm pretty well screened by the opening of
        the Hennessy Hammock. I can also change my shirt while standing "in
        the hole" without attracting a lot of attention. Love this hammock! I
        didn't want to get out of bed Monday morning when it was time to pack
        up. Good thing I had made Monkey Bread for breakfast the night before,
        so all I had to do was boil some water and toss the aluminum foil
        package of Monkey Bread in the ashes of last night's fire to warm it
        up. I'm pretty much sold on my hammock.

        Ratty

        Message 3 of 14 , May 27, 2009
          Monkey Bread?

          ________________________________

        • ratsmouth@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , May 27, 2009
            Yuh. Easy to make, very yummy pull-apart bread. I have an 8" Dutch
            oven that goes most places with me (kayak and car camping), and Monkey
            Bread has gotten to be sort of popular with my camping buddies, so I
            make it almost every time we go anywhere.

            Make a foil liner for Dutch oven (molded to fit the inside so the lid
            will fit tight), remove liner to use while doing the prep work, preheat
            Dutch oven.
            Cut refrigerated biscuit dough (Pillsbury Grands or whatever) into
            quarters, roll into balls and dip each in melted butter, roll in brown
            sugar/cinnamon mixture. Pour a little extra melted butter into the
            foil liner and sprinkle some of the cinnamon/brown sugar in the bottom,
            then add the dough balls in layers.
            Put the liner and prepped Monkey Bread dough into the heated Dutch
            oven, set over coals, cover, and add coals to lid.

            Check in a few minutes (maybe 15-20). When browned, pull liner and all
            out of the Dutch oven, break out the butter, alert the hungry natives,
            and pig out.

            Can I hijack a thread, or what?

            Ratty

            Message 5 of 14 , May 27, 2009
              Actually I don't think this thread has been hijacked.  After all you can eat Monkey Bread while getting dressed in your hammock.

              ________________________________

              > Anybody have any tips for getting dressed in a hammock? LOL! I

              worked

              > out a system of my own, but somebody else might have a better

              idea.

              I lie on my back and wiggle out of one set of clothes and then wiggle

              into another. If there's other folks around, I make sure my tarp sides

              are low. If I'm feeling particularly shy, I drape my sleeping bag

              across

              me over the sides of the hammock.

              Kind of like yoga in a sling.=0

              liz young in rescue ca

            • R Swink
              Message 6 of 14 , May 27, 2009
                Not sure if it was hijacked but you might get a few offers to go out camping
                with folks.

              • Arye P. R.
                Message 7 of 14 , May 27, 2009
                  I sleep in an oversized hospital gown with that on I can do what I want when I want and I'm 'covered'. BTW I wear it with the opening in front and a belt or string to keep it overlaped and closed.

                  Sapere Aude,

                  Arye P. Rubenstein